Bmw x5

Gand

Hi Guys, Thanks for yor prompt reply. We have a BMW X5. This is a 3 litre diesel 4*4; and we have had this car last 2 years and we really love it! 1 have been told that this car is way too expensive in Australia. We are planning to fly to Melbourne in July this year(to settle there). Is it really worth taking this car to Australia(I can make out that the spares for the car are going to be equally expensive as well)? I have noted the threads in the forum regarding transportation of cars-Thanks. But we are in a dilemma about this car... Your opinion is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Gand.

Hi Guys, Thanks for yor prompt reply. We have a BMW X5. This is a 3 litre diesel 4*4; and we have had this car last 2 years and we really love it! 1 have been told that this car is way too expensive in Australia. We are planning to fly to Melbourne in July this year(to settle there). Is it really worth taking this car to Australia(I can make out that the spares for the car are going to be equally expensive as well)? I have noted the threads in the forum regarding transportation of cars-Thanks. But we are in a dilemma about this car... Your opinion is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Gand.

You are better posting in the transport & shipping forum, you will get better responses (maybe a Mod will see this, and move it)

The general consensus is that once you have weighed up the pros & cons (and cost of course) importing a car to Oz is in most cases not worth the work involved.

Yes, cars are expensive here in comparison to the UK (especially with the exchange rate as it is at the moment) but once you have calculated the cost of shipping, taxes (an X5 probably gets hit with the luxury tax) compliance issues, cleaning etc, and you still have a grey import which is not cheap for parts, not cheap to service, and mnore importantly dearer to insure & worth less on resale.

have you read this one yet: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know.html

Hi Gand....

If you haven't already, I'd spend some time reading some of the other threads on this topic. I have to disagree that it's not worth while taking the car. We've worked through the financials and it makes it perfect sense as you not only save money (even in the worst cases you would likely still balance with buying an equivalent in Aus) but you will have a car you know and have confidence in.

There are plenty of people who have jumped through the various hoops and are glad they have done it.

It's a no brainer in my opinion. :wink:

Just thought I'd balance the discussion.

Cheers

S

Gand.

Hi,

We have just shipped our range Rover Sport over, and I think you are mad not to do the same.

We are so pleased, as the replacement costs here for a simular vehicle are triple!!

So far it cost us an extra 2000 GPB for a 40ft container and customs and taxes $4100. we still have rego and compliance to take place, but def worth every penny.

Even tho they say its an import and worth 65% of Aus value, you would still get more money over here for it than UK.

So did you guys use the personal import scheme? If so how much did it cost in total to ship the car? Im thinking of shipping my 2003 BMW 320ci MSport Convertible. :)

Hi I have posted the prices and also$50 for import permits and yes was under personal import scheme. Still haven't got the car yet as it's gone for compliance and we have used a company to deal with the whole registration and compliance procedure but I think it will roughly be $1000 in total. We have also imported a ducati and that was$800 tax.

I will post full details and info when whole process is complete

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Joker

I would agree that it is defintely worth considering importing it. I had a Beemer in the UK and sold it, thinking I would just buy one down here. Boy, was I in for a shock at how expensive they are down here (and that was with an exchange rate way better than you currently get). So I no longer own a BMW and I miss it madly. My Hyundai Sante Fe is just no comparison.

Does that mean I could go to UK for a holiday and buy a BMW or Merc and ship it to Australia cheaper than buying equiv in Aus ?

of course you can, but you would have to spend at least 12 months on holiday with your new car before being allowed to bring it back :biglaugh:

Archived