Launceston - Occupational Therapist working in a community mental health team

malaya

Hello.

I am an occupational therapist working in mental health in the UK. I have been lucky enough to obtain a job working in the community in Launceston. We are in the process of tying up things here in the Uk in preparation for the big move.

I know it is subjective, but can anyone give me a their view on any of the following:

Living in or near Launceston (good/not so good areas to live). We currently live in a 200 year old property in a small village, 10 mins from a larger town and 45 mins from a city.

Also does anyone have any views on working in mental health or working as an OT in Launceston or Tasmania?

I have visited Tassie in 2010 for a week and loved it. We spent an afternoon in Launceston and stayed few days at Beauty Point.

Thanks everyone :wink:

Guest siamsusie

Hi Malaya,

I live about 2 mins from Beauty point on the River Tamar at Yorktown... yes its a stunning area with Greensbeach and Narawanapu National park across the road. We are 40k from Launceston which isnt much, but I feel probably too far for you on a daily basis.. having either the East or West Tamar to travel into Launceston from.

I work in the medical field but overseas on FIFO so I cant be that much help to you I am afraid.

Where we are living, it is virtually crime free and we leave the house/car doors open etc... must admit it took me a while to get used to this!

If you were looking at older style properties with character, I might be considering Evansdale which is a National Trust Georgian village 20k out of Launceston (airport side)... it is a gorgeous cosy village with lovely pubs, cafes etc but of course property is slightly more expensive, but the roads into Launceston are good.

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/TAS/Evandale/?adid=2008798913

History of Evandale in Tasmania, Australia | Evandale, Tasmania

Riverside on the west Tamar side is also lovely off the main road...

44 Rowsphorn Road, RIVERSIDE - For Sale by Peter Bushby Real Estate LAUNCESTON

The above is about 10 mins into town also.

Rosevears on the West Tamar is also lovely and worth a drive through, set on the banks of the Tamar also.

149 Rosevears Drive, ROSEVEARS - For Sale by Harrison Humphreys LAUNCESTON

More costly but it depends on your price range

Into the city, I would avoid areas like Mowbray and Invermay to be honest... industrial zonings and the crime rate could be higher there.

East Launceston is lovely... places like this 49 Lyttleton Street, East Launceston, Tas 7250 - House for Sale #107036305 - realestate.com.au

Only a few minutes from Launceston General and St. Luke's private hospital and a lovely area in which to bring up children.

There are some stunning homes of old character in this region and might just suit you. It has a continental feel to it with outside cafes/restaurants etc.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Susie

oooohhh im ssooooooo excited! please god grnt our visa, as we defo want to go to Launceston. I know Hobart is bigger etc but we just love the look of Launceston our only reservation is gaining work but were happy to do whatever. Hopefully this time next year suse we will be celebrating our arrival in your beautiful home x

Archived