Canberra, or wait forPerth?

carsnhoj

We have aimed to get to Perth, checked everything out... got a job offer, just waiting for the employer to secure his staus (problems with training - but he assures us he's sorting it). In the meantime, been offered a job with sponsorship in Canberra! (slightly less pay, and not where we originally planned)...

If we take Canberra, then the sponsorship for Perth gets sorted, can we move across? (both jobs are 457 visa)??

Sure you can move if you can find an employer who will sponsor you. Might not leave a nice taste in the mouth of the Canberra employer who has also done the work to get you here though.

Couple of things about being in Canberra on a 457 which might influence your decision - first is that if you have kids you have to pay international fees for them at school ($8 -$10k pa) unless your occupation is on the SOL. Other thing is that it is a very expensive place to live and so you would need to be sure that you were getting LAFHA and that your wage was going to be liveable. Rentals here are hard to come by.

OTOH Canberra is a very nice place, being in the East you are less isolated and although we dont have beaches they arent that far away and neither are the snow fields.

We have aimed to get to Perth, checked everything out... got a job offer, just waiting for the employer to secure his staus (problems with training - but he assures us he's sorting it). In the meantime, been offered a job with sponsorship in Canberra! (slightly less pay, and not where we originally planned)...

If we take Canberra, then the sponsorship for Perth gets sorted, can we move across? (both jobs are 457 visa)??

I am not sure I would want the stress and upheaval of moving across to the other side of the world and then a few weeks later moving again. Choose one of them and stick with it.

It isn't really a very decent thing to do either is it. Not fair on the employer in Canberra and could always come back to bite you, think references etc.

Guest guest24447

Having lived in Canberra it is hardly what I would call living the Australian dream !

I would say wait for Perth.

Good luck

Thanks. We have tried to weigh it all up (not knowing Canberra), and have decided that we are going to wait for Perth. For the sake of maybe a few weeks/months, we know how lucky we are to have the choice, and don't want to put the Canberra employer of sponsoring someone else.

Archived