Canberra Social Work

_shel

You might want to contact Madgen about that one - she was recently here. I dont get the feeling that SWs have much to do with helping parents raise their kids - more like policemen unfortunately and policemen whose recommendations are routinely rejected by the judiciary (if they ever get past the PC bosses anyway)

There are social workers in the hospitals and a few of the non gov organizations use SWs as counsellors or case managers (dont pay well though)

My girlfriend is the SW'er and not me. So I won't explain it as good as she can. It's not just about raising kids, it's only with kids with a mental disability and how they need to structure their lives in such a way (and their parents) that they can live as good as possible. Don't ask me the details, I don't know :)

Hmm, I already read that social work in Australia is behind 20 years or so, but apparently the job opportunities for social workers is pretty slim as well? In the Netherlands we have a pretty social govenment creating many opportunities for (mental) health care.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Livingthedream99
Hi there, good luck with the Canberra experience and if there is anything I can help you with, you only have to ask. I guess if you have read my posts your foremost fear is bullying which still occurs. Sadly I wasn't the only one who left because of bullying. At one stage 11 staff left the department because of the bullying of one manager. I am still in regular contact with one woman who moved to England who had an appalling experience who would be more than willing to talk to you about it. I met an Australian woman who left for the same reasons, she has also said she would be willing to talk to you too. Another woman is a friend of a friend, she is one of the last recruits and she's just come back with the same stories. I can provide contact details if you want any other opinions. The others who left are contactable on facebook, but I don't know if they would be willing to talk about it, as most people just want to put the experience behind them. I do hope the same thing doesn't happen to you, but it is best to be prepared.

Can I ask what qualifications you have? As DHCS did not tell people (even though I later spoke to their legal department who had encouraged them to do so) that unless they have a MSW they may not be eligible to join the Australian Association of Social Work, and you cannot work anywhere else in Australia without joining. Most of the recruits who stayed in Canberra had children, or had a certificate in social work, but years of experience. They had all gone out with the intention of moving to somewhere once they had completed two years, which is the minimum time you need to stay before you have to repay relocation monies. Then they discovered they couldn't move, and a lot of them are stuck.

I am not sure what are of social work you are involved in, if it is child protection, then there are major differences in ways of working there. Social workers are not allowed to call themselves social workers, as it offends the Australians who are not qualified. Noone else in my team was qualified, all Australians, one had a diploma in physical education and one in home economics. They have no experience/knowledge of social work theory/risk assessment/attachment etc etc and all had a case management role. Social workers mainly completed affidavits for court, but their assessments were not valued, all parental assessments were completed by psychologists. There were no pre birth case conferences, parents, even those who had murdered children were allowed to take new babies home while DHCS waited for a report/referral to come in, which explains why they had so many child deaths. Risk thresholds were high, and the UK recruits were all given the violent/aggressive clients.

Bullying was rife in the department, from the top down, anyone who complained was victimised and bullied and forced to leave, including Australians. If you google David Lander, he is a solicitor in Canberra he has a high media profile including podcases where he talks at length about bullying within DHCS.

Sadly, I could go on and on. I was horrified by the way some UK recruits abused the system and openly defrauded the department without consequences. I don't normally contribute to any of these forums, but was so compelled to do so because I really think people should know what they are likely to encounter. It may work for you and your family, I'm not in a position to make that assessment, I just hope you consider what I have written. I am not a disgrunted employee, I have twenty years of counselling and fifteen of social work, and consider myself to an honest, hard working employee, but I have never in my life experienced anything like the appalling treatment I received through DHCS. I had to sell my house in Australia and return to UK at great financial expense, but if things had been even bearable I would have remained. I even wrote a book about my experience there as I felt it would be cathartic. When I read it now I am appalled that I actually stayed the length of time I didn, and din't just leave in the first week when I realised how terrible it was going to be. I am now grateful on a daily basis to work alongside professionally qualified, experienced social work staff who know what they are doing. I know this is a big decision for you so please contact me anytime for any information or advice.

regards

Dolly

Dolly can I ask when you worked at DHCS? Because after being here now for a number of years I can honestly say that management has changed over the last few years and the team leaders/managers you may have experienced may actually not even work here anymore?

Guest dolly1

I left in 2007 but the same team leader's etc are still there as I have just confirmed before replying to this post. One of the uk recruits who has returned most recently has confirmed same as have other contacts which I have maintained within DHCS. The recent escapee confirmed exactly what I had reported in terms of bullying and dysfunctional management so sadly the issue still continues.

• 8 months later...

Archived