Age concern

SimoneAL

Hi folks!

I am wondering... is the age a matter of concern when looking for a job in Oz?

Oz in general and in Camberra in particular, since I am planning (dreaming) of moving there sooner or later. I am nearly 40 and my is wife 41.

In some countries is a serious concern, like in Italy, and in other countries such as UK it depends but generally it is not for most of the jobs/employers. With some significant exceprions of course.

Cheers

Best to state your occupation maybe mate,probably differs with careers? i hope not too much btw im a 48 y o bricky!

Quite right, here we go! :biggrin:

ANZSCO Clerical and Administrative workers

511112 Program or Project Administrator (ASCO 3292)

To be honest, yes, age is an issue in Canberra. It is a place full of bright young ambitious things and anyone over 50 is on the scrap heap. It is also the sort of place where many retire at 55 because they have been in the public service all their working lives and there is still a large group who have very nice superannuation entitlements (the new recruits dont have the gold plated public service super). At 40 you should be OK but at 50 you wouldnt - there is a sort of sliding scale in the middle. As a new migrant you wouldnt be able to get into the federal public service anyway as you have to be a citizen but you would be eligible for the ACT government as they only require PR.

Archived