Not looking good for Quantas!

redrobbersdog

OK buoyed on by Save the Lemmings post about new threads, thought I would have a go! :err:

I hope this doesn't mean more disruption for people! Not sure about the "cooking itself" comment! :shocked: At least it "cooked itself" before it took off!

Another Qantas jet engine failure

January 16, 2011 - 9:11AM

There’s been another engine failure on a Qantas aircraft, this time as it was preparing to take off at Sydney Airport.

Flight QF11 to Los Angeles, carrying 344 passengers, was on the runway preparing to take off at 3.30pm (AEDT) on Saturday when its number one engine suffered a complete failure, News Ltd says.

Passengers on the 747 described hearing ‘‘a loud bang’’ and then watching as black smoke poured out of the crippled engine.

The captain then reportedly announced over the intercom that the engine had ‘‘cooked itself’’.

A spokeswoman for Qantas said the plane was on the runway and cleared for take-off when it had a ‘‘low-speed engine failure’’.

She said the passengers disembarked at the gate and a replacement 747 aircraft was scheduled to leave at 7pm. It finally took off at 7.38pm.

Saturday’s incident is the latest in a shocking run for the national carrier, which had to ground its entire A380 fleet in November after one of the Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines exploded in mid-air shortly after take-off from Singapore.

The total cost of grounding its entire fleet of A380s, and replacing 16 of the A380 engines, has been estimated at $80 million.

The day after the A380 near-disaster, a Qantas 747-400 aircraft had a mid-air incident, with flames bursting from an engine just after take-off from Singapore.

I travelled home on a A380 from Dubai to Manchester on Friday with emirates which I believe has no problems as it is a rolls royce engine! It's one hell of a plane, it took over an hour to board it! I also belive that Quantas as sorted out their problems on the A380 engines, but don't quote me on that! :biggrin: I hope your journey goes well.

Guest guest37336
OK buoyed on by Save the Lemmings post about new threads, thought I would have a go! :err:

I hope this doesn't mean more disruption for people! Not sure about the "cooking itself" comment! :shocked: At least it "cooked itself" before it took off!

Another Qantas jet engine failure

January 16, 2011 - 9:11AM

There’s been another engine failure on a Qantas aircraft, this time as it was preparing to take off at Sydney Airport.

Flight QF11 to Los Angeles, carrying 344 passengers, was on the runway preparing to take off at 3.30pm (AEDT) on Saturday when its number one engine suffered a complete failure, News Ltd says.

Passengers on the 747 described hearing ‘‘a loud bang’’ and then watching as black smoke poured out of the crippled engine.

The captain then reportedly announced over the intercom that the engine had ‘‘cooked itself’’.

A spokeswoman for Qantas said the plane was on the runway and cleared for take-off when it had a ‘‘low-speed engine failure’’.

She said the passengers disembarked at the gate and a replacement 747 aircraft was scheduled to leave at 7pm. It finally took off at 7.38pm.

Saturday’s incident is the latest in a shocking run for the national carrier, which had to ground its entire A380 fleet in November after one of the Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines exploded in mid-air shortly after take-off from Singapore.

The total cost of grounding its entire fleet of A380s, and replacing 16 of the A380 engines, has been estimated at $80 million.

The day after the A380 near-disaster, a Qantas 747-400 aircraft had a mid-air incident, with flames bursting from an engine just after take-off from Singapore.

Hi Rob, firstly, :notworthy::notworthy::wink:.

And secondly, it does seem as if Qantas is having a bloody rough time of it lately. Seems to be that they are for all intents and purposes having the eyes of the world media on them. I guess it has a lot to do with their impeccable safety record up to now Rob.

Whilst I don't know a lot about the airline industry I am fascinated by 'aircraft' mate, (sad but true, :eek::embarrassed:).

Lets hope with everything crossed that this is a blip in their history and things get back to normal very soon. Somehow there are few things less sickening when you see a report of an aircraft going down, I guess a lot of it is because most people can relate to the feelings once in an aircraft and the fear and terror that must be evident during any scare, bloody horrible.

But as I said, hopefully the problems will be resolved soon, and their latest hiccups can be resolved, even if they are out of their control somewhat.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Hi Tony, Rob doesnt use PIO that often, it's usually me (Dawn) doing all the posting! I should get my own user name, but when we joined I had no idea that I would use the forum so much! :embarrassed:

I'm fascinated by planes, but unfortunately it's some kind of weird love-hate relationship. I'm terrified of flying and am addicted to air crash investigations and things like that!

I'm sure that Quantas will have this sorted, I think the A380 problems have been unfortunate because of the engine choice! I got it the wrong way round in my original post it's Quantas that use Rolls Royce! Oops! But they seem to have sorted that now!

It did make me laugh about the "cooked engine" I wonder if that was an Ozzie Pilot quote? :biglaugh:

For info, Qantas and Sinapore Airlines all use Rolls Royce Engines. Emirates use a different make (GE). Much investigation has been done by the investigation teams, airlines, RR etc into the A380 engine failure, and it is understood now what went wrong, and measures have been put into place to prevent the failure happening again.

So I would say they are fine !! Working in the industry I would not hesitate to fly on one!

(certain airlines I wouldn't touch with a barge pole - but thats another story !!)

(certain airlines I wouldn't touch with a barge pole - but thats another story !!)

Hi RaT, I noticed my mistake in the engines after I had posted! Doh!

Tell which ones you wouldn't fly with, that way we know which ones to avoid! Or if we have already booked, we can panic! :arghh:

For info, Qantas and Sinapore Airlines all use Rolls Royce Engines. Emirates use a different make (GE). Much investigation has been done by the investigation teams, airlines, RR etc into the A380 engine failure, and it is understood now what went wrong, and measures have been put into place to prevent the failure happening again.

So I would say they are fine !! Working in the industry I would not hesitate to fly on one!

Okay :eek: thanks for the info. Not that reassured though. If something happens please tell my family I love them :wideeyed::laugh:

Guest guest37336
Hi Tony, Rob doesn't use PIO that often, it's usually me (Dawn) doing all the posting! I should get my own user name, but when we joined I had no idea that I would use the forum so much! :embarrassed:

I'm fascinated by planes, but unfortunately it's some kind of weird love-hate relationship. I'm terrified of flying and am addicted to air crash investigations and things like that!

I'm sure that Quantas will have this sorted, I think the A380 problems have been unfortunate because of the engine choice! I got it the wrong way round in my original post it's Quantas that use Rolls Royce! Oops! But they seem to have sorted that now!

It did make me laugh about the "cooked engine" I wonder if that was an Ozzie Pilot quote? :biglaugh:

Hi Dawn.

Very sorry for getting my sexes mixed up, it's not the first time mind, got me in loads of trouble once in Kings Cross, Sydney, but I 'think' the people involved have since moved, or at least I hope so, if not my next visit to Sydney could be short, but definitely NOT sweet.

I reckon the pilot involved might have used some words beginning with, F, F, F, and maybe even a few more F's.:biglaugh:

That reminds me Dawn, one day I will have to tell you my BORING story about the A380, keeps me amused for hours, unfortunately others often reach for the 'Prozac' again.

Nice first major post by the way Dawn,:notworthy:, and many thanks for starting it off.

Cheers Tony.:wubclub:

Hi Tony, Rob doesnt use PIO that often, it's usually me (Dawn) doing all the posting! I should get my own user name, but when we joined I had no idea that I would use the forum so much! :embarrassed:

I'm from the same mould. Love flying but still get anxious. Still don't believe it possible to sit in a metal can 40k feet in the air. Don't watch the Air Crash Investigators stuff though. My mind would just replay what I watched at the wrong time without warning. And that would be when sitting on a plane ready to take off.

Hi Dawn.

Very sorry for getting my sexes mixed up, it's not the first time mind, got me in loads of trouble once in Kings Cross, Sydney, but I 'think' the people involved have since moved, or at least I hope so, if not my next visit to Sydney could be short, but definitely NOT sweet.

I reckon the pilot involved might have used some words beginning with, F, F, F, and maybe even a few more F's.:biglaugh:

That reminds me Dawn, one day I will have to tell you my BORING story about the A380, keeps me amused for hours, unfortunately others often reach for the 'Prozac' again.

Nice first major post by the way Dawn,:notworthy:, and many thanks for starting it off.

Cheers Tony.:wubclub:

HaHa Tony, so your watching your "back" next time you go to Sydney hey? :shocked: literally!! It's amazing how easy it is for some people to get confused! :biglaugh:

Please tell me your boring story, or can I find it on PIO, I could do with some light reading to send me to sleep! :SLEEP:(Joking obviously!) Sorry for those that need the Prozac! :twitcy:

I wonder if I will ever get to hear the black box recording for that conversation. You've got me thinking now that it's funny with these black box recordings on air crash investigates that there are not more Beeps in them! Because let's face it I'm sure they are not saying "oh dear me, the engine has cooked! best prepare for a crash landing!"

Dawn (Female!) :wubclub:

I'm from the same mould. Love flying but still get anxious. Still don't believe it possible to sit in a metal can 40k feet in the air. Don't watch the Air Crash Investigators stuff though. My mind would just replay what I watched at the wrong time without warning. And that would be when sitting on a plane ready to take off.

I'm thinking that I need to stop watching that program, although I am getting better at flying, I don't cry all the way through the flight now, just take off and landing! I do try and avoid the program a few weeks before I fly though! :goofy:

Guest guest37336
HaHa Tony, so your watching your "back" next time you go to Sydney hey? :shocked: literally!! It's amazing how easy it is for some people to get confused!

Please tell me your boring story, or can I find it on PIO, I could do with some light reading to send me to sleep! :SLEEP:(Joking obviously!) Sorry for those that need the Prozac!

I wonder if I will ever get to hear the black box recording for that conversation. You've got me thinking now that it's funny with these black box recordings on air crash investigates that there are not more Beeps in them! Because let's face it I'm sure they are not saying "oh dear me, the engine has cooked! best prepare for a crash landing!"

Dawn (Female!)

I'm going off you Dawn, send you to sleep indeed, :wubclub::biglaugh:.

Once upon a time.................................

Always had a fascination with flight Dawn, not an anorak, yet, but do possess a rucksack and binoculars.

Anyway, this was at a time when I was slightly off my rocker, I sitting in my flat looking at the possibilities of getting back to OZ for a few weeks etc, and I come across this article saying the very first A380 commercial flight was due from Singapore to Sydney, and the the only way you could get a ticket was to enter an auction on Ebay. Plus this story is when I 'used' to drink, so I hope you will understand.

I opened several 'accounts' with ebay, :policeman:, and decided to bid on several seats. It was only on for one day so I wanted to make sure I got the best deal. The tickets gradually went from around £200 to around £1,500, to £5,000. With heart in mouth I left it to the last minute (second) and put a bid on for £995, and guess what I got a ticket. This included a return flight back from Sydney on a 'normal' aircraft. I was very lucky as I had bid up to £3000, :shocked:.

Anyway, the day finally came and I flew out to Singapore for the great day. From Singapore there was a great leaving party and food and drink laid on, really great atmosphere. Anyway eventually we boarded and it was truly a great inaugural flight,:jiggy:.

Loads of anoraks, including me. I was lucky enough to sit next to the fella (canadian) who organised the bids, and he told me that the 'Suites' on board had gone for, wait for it, £52,000, :shocked:. But having said that the suites are and were astounding, AND.

Out of all the seats on the aircraft the ONLY one empty was the one NEXT TO ME, which happened to be a window seat with a great view, couldn't believe it Dawn, absolutely brilliant. Hasn't ended yet, sorry.:wubclub:

Finally arrive at Sydney, and because I had spent ALL my money on the flight I couldn't stay. So went through to customs and they didn't want to believe that I had flown out there for just a day, spent nearly two hours in customs arguing the toss, and at one stage I even bought up the rugby, as the Poms had whopped the Aussies arse earlier that week,:biglaugh::embarrassed::mad:.

Suffice to say Dawn, after getting out of customs I get about four hours sleep at Sydney then back on another aircraft home, knackerd, truly knackerd, but well worth it in the end, piece of history and all that my friend. And I keep telling myself that the money raised went to several charities in Singapore and Sydney, so all's fair in love and war.

Just incase you are not comatose yet Dawn I have included the link below to you tube where some poor unfortunate got me on tape. I'm the miserable looking barstwerd in the brown leather jacket walking past and then taking a photo:

YouTube - a380 inaugural flight party. 25th oct.2007

With that said Dawn, I could tell you more, but seeing as how you are nodding off I will leave it there.:wubclub::wubclub:, BUT.

Taking photos of the loo's on board, the gifts they gave us, you should have seen the gift pack the 'suite' passengers got, worth more than I earn in 6 months, blah, blah, blah..

Guest Sir Les Patterson

The "black box" (FDR) which is actually bright orange is only used to record performance and engine parameters and as such has no oral information on it. The cockpit voice recorder (CVR) is what records the conversation on the flight deck. It is a continuous 30min recording.

The aircraft was still on the ground in LA so there was no need to "prepare for a crash landing"

The simple answer to all of the owes of Qantas is just fly with the best airline in the world, Singapore Airlines.

It happens to all Airlines. From memory (without googling it) Singapore Airlines has had three recent engine shutdowns. Two on their 777's and one on a A380. These were all Rolls Royce Trent (800 on the 777 and 900 on the 380). The shutdown on the Qantas (notice no U) 747 was a Rolls Royce RB211. Engine shutdowns per se are normally no big deal, it is the media that tends to sensationalise them.

Sorry for the late reply Tony!, I Nodded off! :wink: Joking!

Wow that is some story, and yeah you really must be a aircraft fanatic to do that, but worth every penny I bet! And all for a good cause! :notworthy:

Thanks Sir Les, I stand corrected, I'm not into the whole operational / technical thing with aircrafts! I just posted the thread because I thought the story was an interesting one. Thanks for putting the facts right though. I did notice the U but couldn't be bothered going putting it right so I left it! :embarrassed:

Hey Sir Les,

Would you like to share some of your experiences of inflight engine shutdowns? I have a friend (now Qantas Captain) who describes how calm and professional the cockpit is when such an incident happens. Just so that the folks back home aren't thinking it is all 'Airplane' or 'Flying High' up there at the front.

Cheers

The "black box" (FDR) which is actually bright orange is only used to record performance and engine parameters and as such has no oral information on it. The cockpit voice recorder (CVR) is what records the conversation on the flight deck. It is a continuous 30min recording.

The aircraft was still on the ground in LA so there was no need to "prepare for a crash landing"

It happens to all Airlines. From memory (without googling it) Singapore Airlines has had three recent engine shutdowns. Two on their 777's and one on a A380. These were all Rolls Royce Trent (800 on the 777 and 900 on the 380). The shutdown on the Qantas (notice no U) 747 was a Rolls Royce RB211. Engine shutdowns per se are normally no big deal, it is the media that tends to sensationalise them.

Guest guest37336

Hi Dawn.

Shhhhhh, I've got another story. It involves a small mail plane flying to PNG to deliver mail and goods etc, and me and some mates got on board, after arriving in PNG we were immediately thrown out by the authorities, :policeman:, but the worse thing is....

That I was not meant to leave Australian soil as my citizen time limits were in place, but as I said, Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone.

Got another one about stowing aboard a flight for 'Save The Elephants' from Stanstead airport. My mate and I when we were driving instructors took our breaks in the service area of the airport, saw what was going on, and decided to try our luck. Won't tell you how we did it, but it involved bribery and corruption, :policeman::shocked::biglaugh:.

Great hour and half flight, and I even managed to 'purchase' several WWF pillows and blankets which I gave to my grand mum on return, so again, the flight was for a worthy cause.:biglaugh:

I won't tell you about the time in Costa Rica, as there are certain flight officials who are still employed and to say too much would result in their possible dismissal.:biglaugh:

Guest Sir Les Patterson
Would you like to share some of your experiences of inflight engine shutdowns?
Fleabo, pretty bloody boring and really a non event actually. The only one that really got the 'pucker factor' going was just before I joined the Air Force in 1973. I was flying a Piper Aztec and the right hand engine blew a 'pot' (cylinder) just after take off. Most light twins have very marginal performance on one engine (you lose approx 75% power when one sh!ts itself). That was interesting to say the least. Luckily the aeroplane was not at max take off weight. After quite a time and with heart in mouth and avoiding some hills I managed to get to 500' above the ground and turned it back towards the aerodrome and landed it successfully. Passengers were somewhat white faced and I must admit I had trouble not to dry retch in front of them.

My next one was a complete uncontained engine failure of an Atar 9C on a Mirage 3 on take off. I was still on the ground and had just applied military thrust and engaged the afterburner and was about 200 metres into the take off roll when she went 'bang'. I was lucky as another twenty seconds or so and I would have been airborne and you have no option but to bang out......not good for the spine when the ejection seat accelerates you away from the aeroplane.

The other three shutdowns were just routine stuff after I left the RAAF and commenced airline flying and went overseas after 1989. They were all on Boeing 747 "classics" and were all Rolls Royce RB211 engines. Two were for excessive vibration (if I remember correctly it was later revealed that one was for a failed bearing in a turbine disc) and one was for low oil pressure and I shut it down as a precaution. All in all pretty uneventful.

Aeroplanes are mechanical things and as such are subject to breakages just like a car. I have been flying for just over 40 years and have accumulated just over 26,000 hours so I would hope I could do as well as Richard De Crespigny and his crew on the Qantas A380 or "Sully" Sulenberg when he ditched his A320 in the Hudson River. These blokes were real good. I take my hat off to them.

Archived