Debt advice...

bongomark

Guest oz migration

Hi Cal & Johatts

Last reply to this thread (promise) point of clarity the "nasty" aspect was in response to Millertime's last post, second paragraph and not directed at you :

"there is no need for you to get nasty like that. Ive worked in this industry so I have a insight to how it works. because i dont go along with what you say does not give you the right to have a go".

Also Dwaldron makes an excellent point that should you not settle in Australia (need to return to live) to have 'burned bridges' due to not dealing with the monetary matter/s would further isolate and deepen your problems not in just one country but now two !

Kind regards

Chris

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JoanneHattersley
Hi Cal & Johatts

Last reply to this thread (promise) point of clarity the "nasty" aspect was in response to Millertime's last post, second paragraph and not directed at you :

"there is no need for you to get nasty like that. Ive worked in this industry so I have a insight to how it works. because i dont go along with what you say does not give you the right to have a go".

Also Dwaldron makes an excellent point that should you not settle in Australia (need to return to live) to have 'burned bridges' due to not dealing with the monetary matter/s would further isolate and deepen your problems not in just one country but now two !

Kind regards

Chris

Hey there

Im sure that Cal will agree with me! We completely understood from the start that it wasnt directed at us! We just didnt want it to get nasty between anyone at all!!!

That was it, thats why we said stop BEFORE it gets nasty!

Enough already! This thread is over! PLEASE!

Guest millertime

It makes no difference what you post. most if not all is not relevant to what we are talking about.

You can check all the debt forums you like. its fact there is only reciprocal agreements between the UK, Canada and Germany.

Yes ive stated above you can be chased. but unsecured loan debts cannot be enforced in Australia (excpet once from NZ).

what you are talking about is criminal debts or debts in regards to tax etc. not the same

you like everyone are free to search the web long and hard. you will not find anyone on any debt forum who was forced by law into repaying a credit debt like this from australia.

The stuff you are coming up with is in place to deal with major fraud such as with People like Christopher Skase (and he never was forced to pay in the end).

Also if you have worked in this area for as long as you have then you would have easily come up with cases in which you where able to force people to repay their UK debts. instead of just chasing them to australia.

You know you cant enforce it. simple as.

im bored of this now.

Guest JoanneHattersley

So is everyone else Millertime. We are all bored with it. THere was no need to do that last post, it is just getting everyone stirred up again.

Calling our moderators, can we lock up this post??? It hasnt gone anywhere and has been a constant mish-mash of information. No-one can get anything out of this!

NO MORE!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lizwoolley

Hi,

I have been told the same thing, that only government debt is tracebale once you have moved to Australia. I would assume that as long as creditors did not know where you went in Oz, they could not chase you for civil debts. If people are that worried about leaving debt, then PAY IT OFF..lol...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rayhall

Hi, I was interested reading this post I have left the UK and moved to OZ but had quite a large debt and could not pay and what little money I had I moved to an account in Australia, my question to the people that know here is if the bank that I moved the money too has now brought out a credit card company in England to widen its operations but is in fact an australian branch where my money is held, can the credit card debt in England of that company be linked to my bank in Austrlia and can they chase me through asking my address from the australian bank, the credit card is now a member of the group of companies that my bank is part of, I am not sure but I think the privacy act does not allow this but if anyone knows be very grateful. Please dont be judgemental on me I almost had a nervous breakdown with the debt in the UK and had to leave also lost someone close to me so just walked away. I have been here three months now but have heard nothing from nobody but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Guest rayhall

That was not the question, you have no idea of how I got in debt and it was not spending just money, it is not up to you to judge me if you dont know the answeer then dont answer rather than sending a sarcastic reply like that !

Guest Lizwoolley

Hi Rayhall,

I would suggest you ring a debt advice line and ask them. I would think though that even though its the same credit card company England and Oz uses different companies for credit scoring, so I wouldnt think that your sitaution would change at all. For data protection anyway, they couldnt give out your details. There would be no reason the UK company to know you have a card with the card in Australia.

Guest rayhall

Hi Liz

I have no more credit cards I have learnt my lesson it is just that the credit card company in the UK is a part of a group of companies that the bank I am with in OZ. I know about the privacy act I just wondered if they could look me up centrally even though it is an entirely different product and company just part of the group. And to let you know I do intend to pay back my debts when I get the money but cant be harassed until I do.

Guest Lizwoolley

Hi,

I asked my friend who is a solicitor and he told me that even though they are the same company, they dont share the same files, for instance Northern Rock bank is in America as well as the uk, but the bank in the UK, could not look up or know clients from the USA. So, he said you shoudnt worry. Also, it doesnt matter what anyone else posts about, PAYING OFF YOUR DEBTS, you do what is right for you and if you cant pay them off, then you cant. END OF. Sometimes ppl on here just talk through their butts..lol... I hope I have helped

Hi All, Interesting read please Moderators do not delete it as it does have some good information on it for people and I am sure that we are grown up enough not to worry about the bickering, thats life!!

Can I just say that when you apply for your skilled Visa that they want 3 years accounts and also a letter from the Tax people, I am assuming that is to make sure that no monies are owed to them!! So quite possibly you would not get your Visa unless you were debt free to these people.

As for pesonal debt i.e. credit cards etc... well maybe thats just down to your own Consciousnes (if thats spelt right :goofy:), money is always a subject that causes upset as is religion.

Keep the thread though as it is useful to alot of people.

Thanks all :wubclub:

Guest JoanneHattersley

:wacko:

This post drove me mad when it started!

Can we NOT get nasty to each other please? Everyone is entitled to an opinion and whether we agree or not we should respect their thoughts!

:wacko:

This post drove me mad when it started!

Can we NOT get nasty to each other please? Everyone is entitled to an opinion and whether we agree or not we should respect their thoughts!

Yes this is the right attitude . If we do not agree just start the post by 'in my experience' or 'with my knowledge' or such likes

But good thread anyway

Guest JoanneHattersley

Yes this is the right attitude . If we do not agree just start the post by 'in my experience' or 'with my knowledge' or such likes

But good thread anyway

:cute:

Well said!

Merry CHristmas!!

sorry guys ,didnt realise this thread had started up again ,as stated earlier we dont want to delete this thread as i feel it does have a lot of good infomation in amongst the disagreements(see im being nice,lol).We wont all agree on money issues so lets think twice before replying to someones post please , especially if you disgree! NO BITCHINESS REQUIRED

Cal x

I was enjoying reading the thread about UK debt as I have dne some of my own research regarding these issues but I enjoyed it all the more when certain members started bitching and "out-knowing" each other! Hilarious! Thanks for a good larf!

Guest rayhall

Thanks liz, I really appreciate this advice from you and no I dont care if people abuse me over my debt as they have no idea why and thanks so much for understanding

• 2 months later...
Oz migration. where do you get your info from? you are incorrect on just about every turn here.

First of all going bankrupt in the Uk does NOT follow you to Australia, it does not affect your Australian credit rating at all.

The only country where things like this follow you to australia is from New Zealand.

Credit in the UK is taken out under different laws and regulations and are not enforced in Australia.

now im not saying you should not pay your debts off, but if you didnt and moved to Australia they are very unlikly to track you down. If they did there is not much they can do. if they have partner companies in Australia they may (in rare cases) pass the debt to them but they dont have the Power to enforce it. they can only send you letters, pay you visits etc but cannot enforce the debt. they would pretty much have to accept any offer of settlment you offer.

They cant run checks on you, cant garnish your wages, cant affect your australian credit rating.. nothing..

this is as good as it gets for them.. also debts are not sold to australia as no one would bother, not worth it.

Now.. in regards to debts with the government (tax etc) that is different.. that can be chased and they do have a good working relationship with the Australian counterparts.

thanks

Hi millertime

Some good advise there! I am currently an occupational therapy student at uni and am about to declare myself bankrupt. I have been paying a debt management plan but can no longer afford it and have a 5 month old baby boy. We have wanted to move to Australia for quite a while now and do stress about the bankruptcy affecting our application and getting a mortgage in australia (obviously i wont be getting a mortgage over there untill i am discharged. I do believe that sorting things out in the uk before moving to oz is a very good thing as you wouldn`t want the worry and guilt ruinning a new life downunder! How did you find out the bankruptcy wont affect moving to oz? I`m still worried!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...
Guest crystalrose
Hi

Don't Worry Too Much About Your Uk Finances As They Will Not Affect Your Status In Australia As There Is No Access To Your Credit Files Under The Data Protection Act Out Of The Uk. If You Need Further Help Contact Me And I Will Give You A Call.

Hi I was just reading though basically my husband has been offered a fantastic job opportunity in Australia which is going to mean a drastic cut in income, but from what I can gather a truley positive life change which we all desperately need!! I have a house with negative equity and lots of debt I know this sounds really aweful but I may just leave it all behind. I used to work full time but with three young children working 12-14 hour days 5 days per week for four years and a husband that works away from home have really taken their toll I am now off work ill. I am worrying myself sick if we go to oz on a 457 and after 2 years when we apply to stay permanetly they will refuse because of my debt in the uK if in the meantime a creditor has not made me bankcrupt that is? I was also under the impression that if we come to oz they will run credit checks through credit reference agencies which would mean tracing us through our previous address's in the uk do you know if that is so.

You sound as though you know what you are talking about any advice please!!!!

I thnk everyone is entitled to an opinion and no one will agree with eachother all the time. Debt, like crime, politics and religion, is always going to evoke strong reactions. No one wants to see anyone "getting away with it" but the shame, fear and embarrassment of being in debt can be debilitating so we should all try to understand why people ask these questions.

Sorry I am a Libran and I always see both sides to an argument! Take care all x :wubclub:

Guest Graham&kym

Crstalrose, you contact the aus government for definitive advice, but what has been said is true, the tax laws are strong, the rest are rubbish. Don't worry yourself sick, life is too short...and you are only 21!

Credit checks in Oz are only Oz based.

That said I do agree with MattCath, tho I don't normally offer opinions!

Guest crystalrose

Guys thank you soo much!!! and who knows I may even win the lottery in the meantime and be able to pay off all those debt.

Everyone says taking the huge step of leaving everything and going to OZ is so worth it especially for the children and quality of life.

Archived