Debt advice...

bongomark

Guest GDNB

You can have $80K in the bank when you first arrive and they won't give you a credit card, without a job and you can't even rent a telly. Westpac told me in the decline letter, 'we don't encourage debt'. WTF. What is the primary money making aspect of banking?????

The Australian credit system is not at all interested in what you did in the UK.

The only time I know of, that being creditworthy in the UK would be a benefit in Australia, is if you were joining HSBC over here, from the UK. I know a few families that did that and got credit cards etc without a job.

3 years accounts and a letter from the Taxman/accountant would apply if you were self employed but others, employees like I was, didn't have to provide that much info.

Life is for living, not worrying.

G

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jchrisj
:wacko:

This post drove me mad when it started!

Can we NOT get nasty to each other please? Everyone is entitled to an opinion and whether we agree or not we should respect their thoughts!

I dont understand why you want to censure this post. Some people may find it interesting.

Moderate it if you wish, if you dislike it avoid it, but dont censure it.

Hugs to everyone

:radar:

Chris

• 1 month later...

Just read your post and I know exactly where you are coming from. We are in huge debt. I have 2 small children, both school age, but one has a disability, which means regular trips to hospital etc, therefore holding down a job is difficult due to needing so much time off. I did have a great job that worked aroung the kids but I left due to stress. I can't win. I'm living in a dream world but I'm sure when we move to oz things will get better. I am annoyed at myself for letting it get this bad but things just snowballed, alot of the time through no fault of my own. I know if we were given a second chance we won't make the same mistake again.

Just read your post and I know exactly where you are coming from. We are in huge debt. I have 2 small children, both school age, but one has a disability, which means regular trips to hospital etc, therefore holding down a job is difficult due to needing so much time off. I did have a great job that worked aroung the kids but I left due to stress. I can't win. I'm living in a dream world but I'm sure when we move to oz things will get better. I am annoyed at myself for letting it get this bad but things just snowballed, alot of the time through no fault of my own. I know if we were given a second chance we won't make the same mistake again.

Hi just be careful about the son with the disability would you have to pay for these trips to the hospital over there? You should check this out before making any dicisions sorry if you already have! Good luck.

Thanks for the quick reply. The trips to hospital are in this country. Hopefully when we move they will go down to once a year. At the minute it's hard for me to find work to pay off the debt due to these trips, but once in oz they will reduce and I can work again, hopefully!!! Have you got any knowledge on costs of routine hospital checks though. Not even looked into that yet as we are not even sure if we will get in, waiting for agent to get back to us.

Guest moonraker1961

My motto is keep your life as simple as possible.When my parents got married,there was no such thing as a credit card or overdraft.I still don't have either.I understand however why people choose this way,but if you get burnt,learn an important lesson (with gratitude).Its not easy paying off debts but as each month passes you're closer to being debt free.My family are of jewish stock (lol)so i am very savvy with money.Don't get me wrong I'm not tight by any means,infact I am generous but I am a fantastic saver.Good luck and hope your future is bright!

Guest shergold

:jiggy:hi speak to thinking australia speak to darrell [the guys nuts** but knows what hes doing tele 08458504040 good luck

but wouldnt this all be checked when you go through visa process? i thought it was all very strict and they would need to know how much capital you would have left, after all debts are paid. My partner and i are about to start applying as hes an electrician and we are worried that if you owe anything you wouldnt qualify? Also if anyone knows of a good immgration company, could you please advise, looked on internet there are so many and want to make sure we pick a good one?! thanks

• 2 years later...
Hi I was just reading though basically my husband has been offered a fantastic job opportunity in Australia which is going to mean a drastic cut in income, but from what I can gather a truley positive life change which we all desperately need!! I have a house with negative equity and lots of debt I know this sounds really aweful but I may just leave it all behind. I used to work full time but with three young children working 12-14 hour days 5 days per week for four years and a husband that works away from home have really taken their toll I am now off work ill. I am worrying myself sick if we go to oz on a 457 and after 2 years when we apply to stay permanetly they will refuse because of my debt in the uK if in the meantime a creditor has not made me bankcrupt that is? I was also under the impression that if we come to oz they will run credit checks through credit reference agencies which would mean tracing us through our previous address's in the uk do you know if that is so.

You sound as though you know what you are talking about any advice please!!!!

Expat Focus - Forums - Expat Issues (scroll down for country specific forums) - Credit and Debt Management - uk debt when living abroad

Have a look at this site, full of info for you all

• 1 month later...
Guest carlj3108

Hello All,

I totally understand where alot of people are coming from regarding debt.....things happen, people get into debt, I would certainly not be passing judgement or opinion. Dont't believe it's my place to.

I just hope those people can get out of the mess they're in and get on with enjoying their lives.

I would like to ask for some clarification/confirmation though.....if you do have uk debts, or are in a debt management plan, or have ccj's or an IVA - ....Am I right in saying none of these would jeapordise emigrating or obtaining a visa to Australia would it?

Thanks

CJ

Archived