Why im proud to be an Aussie !

calNgary

Last night Channel 9 held a flood relief appeal TV show. I know we have said on PIO before that the generosity of Australians to people in need is outstanding , they seem to rally around and help others like it second nature but this latest 'rally around' is amazing, it really does make you feel proud to be part of this country.

Well with the help of last nights TV show so far over $11million has been raised to help the familys affected by the floods. Considering this time of year everyone is pretty skint anyway i think its absloutely amazing that so many people picked up the phone last night and donated, the excat figures can be read here -

Deluge of donations as $11m in pledges pours in at telethon event for flood victims | Courier Mail

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen

I watched that Cal it was wonderful to see the support and donations coming in.

I was a little disappointed with some of the companies, at one point they said Maccas donated $50k, then they did say later $100k, Hyundai was $100k, I still think some of the larger companies could have donated more.

Fantastic responce, Australians are always ready to help anyone in need.

I broke down once in my car and 3 cars stopped to see if I needed help.

Guest guest30038
Fantastic response as always. The first time I noticed how generous Australians were was after Black Saturday bush fires here in Victoria. It really moved me how everyone got together and supported each other.

Too true Danny. I just hope the Qld tragedy doesn't overshadow what is going on with bush fires right now.............deliberately lit according to reports...........What is it with these idiots? :goofy: :hug:

kev

Guest MelbourneMan

Every year there is always a pyromaniac or two that start a few of the fires:mad:. If I had my way, when they got caught I'd be issuing big jail time sentences and none of this slap on the wrist type of stuff that some appear to get away with :mad:

I think it was last year that the guy they caught doing fires was a CFA Volunteer that was doing it so he could get to go and put them out. Lunatic

Guest HeywoodMonkey

Hy Cal,

I'm ok, Regency Downs has had its fair share of flood water but i seem to be ok, they have evacuated Laidley and Forest Hill and some of them were put in Woolworths at Plainlands near us so i'm hoping the fact that they put them there which is about 5 km from my house is good news as they wouldn't hopefully move them from one disaster area to another.

It's stopped raining here, finally and an eerie quite has come over the place, makes it worse now it's dark. I didn't get much sleep last night and i don't think i will tonight but if this is the worse i'm getting them i thank my lucky stars.

I can't find any info on the internet as to whether Regency Downs is next to be evacuated, it seems bogged down with info on Brisbane. I just hope the clean up that Toowoomba is due dosn't get diverted to Brisbane and Ipswich.

I hope your friends are ok, i still havent managed to get hold of Heywood Monkey who lives around the area evacuated last night, its worrying to say the least. You stay up in your room and be safe

Cal x

Thank god your ok, i found abc radio flood , great for info last night - ABC Brisbane - Brisbane Weather - Weather Warnings - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Tonight there are a few groups on Facebook with rapidly updated info, one is queensland police.

Also sign up for this -http://www2.ewn.com.au/

At the moment channel 9 have constant news streams

I havent heard anything about regency downs so fingers crossed for you mate.

Cal x

We are sat here in an apartment in Darwin watching with horror at what is unfolding.We watched with pride at how much the ordinary people of Australia donated what they could,from the little girl who gave her tooth fairy money to the local businesses.

We have friends in Toowoomba who as yet we can not get hold of.

Fantastic responce and family an friends in Brissie are saying it is like a war time spirit and everyone is pulling together...fair play to the Brissie people :notworthy:

Guest MelbourneMan

I just heard on the news that they believe that the worst might still be yet to come for some areas.

Lets hope everyone can get through this together

I don't know if I am allowed to post a link here (mods please remove it if not, and please don't tell me off!), but a group of Australia based Etsy sellers has got together to try to raise some money for the Queensland Flood Appeal. We will all be donating items that will be for sale in the Australian Etsian Flood Appeal.

Etsy is an online craft market, selling all sorts of things such as jewellery, clothing, art, home furnishings etc which are all handmade. The appeal involves Etsy sellers donating items to be sold in the Flood Appeal shop and all of the proceeds of the sales being donated to the Queensland Flood Relief Appeal. As far as I know, the shop will be going live from about 7pm ADST tomorrow night. Please take a look. You might find a lovely handmade item to buy, and anything we can raise will help in Queensland.

Thanks.

Guest guest30038
Hy Cal,

I'm ok, Regency Downs has had its fair share of flood water but i seem to be ok, they have evacuated Laidley and Forest Hill and some of them were put in Woolworths at Plainlands near us so i'm hoping the fact that they put them there which is about 5 km from my house is good news as they wouldn't hopefully move them from one disaster area to another.

It's stopped raining here, finally and an eerie quite has come over the place, makes it worse now it's dark. I didn't get much sleep last night and i don't think i will tonight but if this is the worse i'm getting them i thank my lucky stars.

I can't find any info on the internet as to whether Regency Downs is next to be evacuated, it seems bogged down with info on Brisbane. I just hope the clean up that Toowoomba is due dosn't get diverted to Brisbane and Ipswich.

Stay safe mate.

kev

I just heard on the news that they believe that the worst might still be yet to come for some areas.

Lets hope everyone can get through this together

The flood is just starting in Brisbane. They are predicting by Thursday the waters will rise to the highest level for over 100 years. Worse than the devastating 1974 floods. Lets hope the predictions don't come true.

The flood is just starting in Brisbane. They are predicting by Thursday the waters will rise to the highest level for over 100 years. Worse than the devastating 1974 floods. Lets hope the predictions don't come true.

The floods peaked at 3.30 AM but about 1 metre below the 1974 flood peakicon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest MelbourneMan

I heard on the news this morning that the Brisbane River peaked at 4.45m around 5am — a full metre below the 1974 flood peak, which it was actually expected to marginally exceed.

The biggest tragedy is the death toll of 13 with grave concerns for another nine people. On top of that sixty-two people are still unaccounted for.

Some talk on tv this morning encouraging people from other States to go to Queensland on holiday at some stage and spend some money, don't forget that they are still open for business and need the stimulus to their economy. I will make plans to go up there to see friends and family, and buy a couple of extra Moreton bay bugs ! If you are living outside Queensland and haven't been there, it's well worth the visit.

(p.s. yes Bobj, it's your favourite Smellburnian here:laugh:)

Guest Toorak Trev

I find it amazing that so many people are surprised at the response.

Is it not just showing what our first reaction to fellow mankind should be?

Perhaps those that were rubbishing "Mateship" a few months ago can rethink those assumptions. Or in their defence has society worldwide become so insular and self focused?

Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie

Oi Oi Oi

Guest MelbourneMan

Check out this. You can see the before and after with over-layed photos as you run your mouse across it. Gives you some appreciation of how much water Brisbane actually got...

ABC News - Brisbane floods: before and after

High-resolution aerial photos taken over Brisbane last week have revealed the scale of devastation across dozens of suburb and tens of thousands of homes and businesses. Hover over each satellite photo to view the devastation caused by flooding.

Archived