De facto visa or Intended marriage visa???

sidney03

HI, can anybody advise please?

Myself and partner have been together for 14 months and are engaged to be married. I have worked in Oz previously as a boiler maker/welder on minesites which is what I would plan to do for work if we were successful in moving out there permanently with my fiance and her daughter.

Having read through the Partner Migration booklet, quite possibly the longest booklet in the world, we are very confused as to which to apply for - de facto partner visa or intended marriage visa???

We have not lived together for anywhere near the length of time required to apply for a de facto partner visa but are confused as to what information is required for the intended marriage visa. Does anyone know? We know that we would need statements from friends and family to back up the legitimacy of our relationship which would obviously not be a problem but then there is the mention of sponser in Oz - again ????. We have friends out in Perth who are now Australian Citizens having lived out there some 20 years - would they count and if so, would being a sponser cost them any money?

We have done an online assessment as to whether or not we are likely to be successful but, again, are confused by the question: -"Please indicate if you (or your partner) are an Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident"Obviously I would not be an Australian Permanent Resident until I moved out there, does this mean I would need to move out before my partner or do we complete the form as my intention to apply for a permanent residency in Oz and therefore tick the "yes" box?

I am very sorry for the length of this query but I have no idea where to start.

Thank you :confused:

The Australian Citizen/PR holder is the sponser, who may be asked for assurance of support but not seen that much on here.

If you have not lived together 12 months you can not apply for the Spouse Visa unless you get married and move in together.

The prospective marriage visa is usually for people where one person lives in Aus the other overseas. It will give you 9 months in which to get married and apply for a spouse visa, allowing the non Aussie spouse to live and work in Australia. Not sure how this would work if neither of you are in Aus.

But if you were thinking of doing the PMV this means you would be thinking of getting married soon anyway? Which means you could then just apply for the spouse visa and not messing around with the PMV.

Archived