Category 4- how long will it be

Team Rennolds

Hi All Cat 4's

I am a 475 visa applicant for SA. Applied for visa - March 2010. I am in Cat 4 too. Marine biologist occupation. IELTS Score 8. Recently i got a message from my immigration agent that Cat 4 will be activated by the end of 2011, has anyone received similar information??

Ramesh

Hi Ramesh,

I haven't heard anything but I would be very happy if this happens.

Tania

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I would be very happy too. It would make some sense, in as much as new applicants must be really low now. Have you seen the list for NSW state sponsorship? Very, very skinny.

Economics also play a part in whether people are going to take the big step and right now I feel that people in England for instance are very careful in what they are planning especially considering financial matters. There seems to be an era approaching where property etc is tightly held onto. Especially as house prices are currently going down here in England. Maybe this will all work in favour for us lot stuck in the system awaiting COs. After all we are still LEGAL applicants, despite the Australian Governments' preference for Priority Processing. Fingers, toes and everything crossed then eh?!

Guest Sandisonsonthemove

We are cat 4 and tbh have considered changing states as we have that option but Qld is where we want to be. I think come June/July each year states will re-release their SMPs adjusting where necessary and I think a lot of people will find themselves jump into cat 2.

I am prepared to wait a couple of years to see what happens. Whilst we are cat 4 we are still in with a chance but if we have to wait a few years so be it. The economy is bad at the moment and we are not going to be stung by the current exchange rates so will stay where we are and carry on saving so when our time does come (and it will!!) hopefully things will be a lot better economically here and there.

Whatever people decide to do is personal to them. Cat 4 will always have a chance no matter what some people say so keep positive peeps whats meant for you will not pass you by :hug:

Donna xx

We are cat 4 and tbh have considered changing states as we have that option but Qld is where we want to be. I think come June/July each year states will re-release their SMPs adjusting where necessary and I think a lot of people will find themselves jump into cat 2.

I am prepared to wait a couple of years to see what happens. Whilst we are cat 4 we are still in with a chance but if we have to wait a few years so be it. The economy is bad at the moment and we are not going to be stung by the current exchange rates so will stay where we are and carry on saving so when our time does come (and it will!!) hopefully things will be a lot better economically here and there.

Whatever people decide to do is personal to them. Cat 4 will always have a chance no matter what some people say so keep positive peeps whats meant for you will not pass you by :hug:

Donna xx

Thanks Donna,

I think we all need to stay positive yes we are at the back of the queue but that can be seen as a positive as it isn't the best time to exchange money or sell property but gives us a chance to save more that's how I look at it.

Tania

Have you seen the list for NSW state sponsorship? Very, very skinny.

When is the NSW plan released? I think we are still awaiting for NSW:unsure:

I think the next step in Cat 4 will be checking work experience for nominated occupation.

The Cap and Cease Bill (aka Cap and Kill) has been replaced by Starve and Die.

Most of Cat 3 applications will be dealt with before 30/6/2011. Therefore they have to start doing something with Cat 4 afterwards.

Guest TheStig
Most of Cat 3 applications will be dealt with before 30/6/2011. Therefore they have to start doing something with Cat 4 afterwards.

Where did you get that date from? Another migration agent? To share, I had a chat with the DIAC operator last week regarding my Cat 4 application and was told not to expect it to be processed anytime soon, at least not within the next 2 years. DIAC is currently processing Cat 2 applications and Cat 3 and 4 are on hold. Cat 3s are expected to be processed in 4-5 months starting with the backlog (175 Cat 3 are still stuck in 2009!) and there will be a new points test in July'11 and they are not sure how this affect the current processing at this time. They are advising all Cat 4 applicants to go for SS or ENS to have any chance of getting processed, otherwise no one knows when they will be processed (explains why the timeline on DIAC website does not indicate a time frame as no one knows when). Then there is another issue that does not mean that all Cat 2's are processed Cat 3s will be as it all depends on the allocated quota for the FY; once reached all applications will be queued for processing in the next FY. Not to mention that there are Cat 3 applications coming in all the time, yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Good Luck to all.

Hi TheStig, no I did not get anything from any migration agents. If possible, I would choke them with my bare hand for misleading me in the begining and stealing my chance to be a double citizen at this time. (I however respect those who are honest and truthfull, but did not have a chance to meet one yet)

My math comes from pure common sense, using this for a tamplate: Client Service Charter. I think most of the application were lodged prior to July 2010 and therefore most of Cat1-3 will be finalized by the end of financial year. No bloody officer is aware about any time frame for Cat 4, so isn't it safe for them to tell you 2 years? :) There is not as many new Cat 3 as no Accountants or Haidressers are not needed any more.

I will be looking at ENS or SS soon and say, you have the job, you can get it. However, I am on my own, having a company on my own, blokced by this stupid Labour idiots. I also believe Labour Govt will end soon and chances are there also.

I don't wish anyone any luck, because it is useless. Action needs to ba taken. Going to media and letting people know what is happening!

Where did you get that date from? Another migration agent? To share, I had a chat with the DIAC operator last week regarding my Cat 4 application and was told not to expect it to be processed anytime soon, at least not within the next 2 years. DIAC is currently processing Cat 2 applications and Cat 3 and 4 are on hold. Cat 3s are expected to be processed in 4-5 months starting with the backlog (175 Cat 3 are still stuck in 2009!) and there will be a new points test in July'11 and they are not sure how this affect the current processing at this time. They are advising all Cat 4 applicants to go for SS or ENS to have any chance of getting processed, otherwise no one knows when they will be processed (explains why the timeline on DIAC website does not indicate a time frame as no one knows when). Then there is another issue that does not mean that all Cat 2's are processed Cat 3s will be as it all depends on the allocated quota for the FY; once reached all applications will be queued for processing in the next FY. Not to mention that there are Cat 3 applications coming in all the time, yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Good Luck to all.

Hi TheStig

Where you say Cat 3 applications are coming in all the time I havent seen one since December on the cat 3 thread so maybe their wont be such a massive queue in this cat 3, as anyone else got thoughts on this why their is no applicants in January!

Tania

Hi - I think I am the only on on the Cat 3 thread who applied as a 175 applicant - most people seem to be put off by the 18mo-24mo timeline and opt for a 176 if possible. I am thinking positive and reckon they will try to get through as many as poss so no too much BL when the new points system comes in ;0)

Guest rebeccaw

Good Luck to all.

hi there just wondered how you knew cat 3 applicants would be processed in 4/5 months was it the DIAC operator who told you this? - we're a june 09 cat 3 and have been desperate to get info for months especially as it appears cat 3 on hold again so even 4/5 months would be good to know - where did you find this from? And does this timeframe take into account cat 3 is on hold currently?

I was told before Xmas end Nov ish by DIAC helpline cat 3 was on hold to deal with cat 2 and when I posted this the world scoffed including my agent - then guess what come January cat 3 seems on hold so I think you can get a DIAC operator who is useful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was he/she saying to you they expect to clear the cat 3 backclog within 4/5 months or simply start work on it again in that timeframe..... ANY INFO MOST GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!

Also - sorry to quiz - but when you said 175 cat 3 are stuck in 2009 did you mean visa type 176 or volume/numbers that are stuck from 2009 in system?

• 2 weeks later...

Some positive news for us

Priority Group 4 applicants

The Department is not yet in a position to advise when Priority Group 4 applications are likely

to be considered, other than that this is likely to occur in the 2011-2012 Migration Program

Year and after all Priority Group 2 and Priority Group 3 applications have been considered.

As such, all Priority Group 4 applicants should not yet undertake health and character

clearances.

Priority Group 4 applicants are encouraged to periodically check the General Skilled

Migration (GSM) Processing Update by emailing gsm.processing@immi.gov.au as the date

ranges for each visa subclass and Priority Group will change over time.

Change in circumstances

If the circumstances of any family members or dependents have changed since lodgement of

an application and DIAC is yet to be notified, completion of the relevant form(s) is required.

See http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa...ies/change.htm

eVisa applicants should upload any relevant documentation concerning the change of

circumstance (eg birth or marriage certificate) to the web-browser.

Paper visa applicants should email gsm.documents@immi.gov.au with the relevant form(s)

and supporting documentation.

Questions

Please note that specific guidance on whether or not an applicant should obtain these

clearances now can only be provided once the application is allocated to a case officer for

consideration, as a detailed assessment is required.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Sandisonsonthemove

Mmmmm Interesting post by George - thank you once again (and to you Tania for posting it here)

We are cat4 ss with Qld but not on SMP. We have decided to go for WA and have started the application online - fed up with the not knowing really so decided to take my life back into my own hands. WA could still say no and we are no further forward but at least we will have tried.

:twitcy::twitcy::twitcy:

I think this smilie defines how I am feeling about all of this!!!!!

Take care all

Donnaxx

Well done for doing something positive, we are cat4 for Wa so have now applied for ss for SA. It's scary but feels good to be doing something.

Michelle

Mmmmm Interesting post by George - thank you once again (and to you Tania for posting it here)

We are cat4 ss with Qld but not on SMP. We have decided to go for WA and have started the application online - fed up with the not knowing really so decided to take my life back into my own hands. WA could still say no and we are no further forward but at least we will have tried.

:twitcy::twitcy::twitcy:

I think this smilie defines how I am feeling about all of this!!!!!

Take care all

Donnaxx

Hi TheStig

Where you say Cat 3 applications are coming in all the time I havent seen one since December on the cat 3 thread so maybe their wont be such a massive queue in this cat 3, as anyone else got thoughts on this why their is no applicants in January!

Tania

The reason you may not have seen any activity is because DIAC slows down/shuts between December and February so not much work is done. Things will pick up to normal speed in March.

Also, there are some people who applied before this year and are moving to Cat 3 from Cat 4. This entails getting their skills assessed and sent to DIAC (again), so there certainly will be more people. Someone on this forum mentioned that Cat3 has a backlog since Dec 2007.

The reason you may not have seen any activity is because DIAC slows down/shuts between December and February so not much work is done. Things will pick up to normal speed in March.

Also, there are some people who applied before this year and are moving to Cat 3 from Cat 4. This entails getting their skills assessed and sent to DIAC (again), so there certainly will be more people. Someone on this forum mentioned that Cat3 has a backlog since Dec 2007.

Hi

If you look at cat 2 their were plenty of activity of people that lodged in Dec and Jan and at since Dec plenty of pio got their visas and CO so they are really busy now they sometimes slow down when it July approaches as thats their financial year and Diac doesn't shut between Dec and Feb as i have watched this forum for over 2 years now and seen plenty of movement in these months before, I think it has to do with the new changes having to have a sponsor ect...

Thanks Tania

Hi

If you look at cat 2 their were plenty of activity of people that lodged in Dec and Jan and Diac doesn't shut between Dec and Feb as i have watched this forum for over 2 years now and seen plenty of movement in these months before, I think it has to do with the new changes having to have a sponsor ect...

Thanks Tania

Oh, I see. I didn't know people worked there over the summer - reduced capacity or some other scheme I guess.

Guest rebeccaw
Have a look at cat 2 you can see on the first page the amount of poi that lodged and got their visas and CO :biggrin:

Tania

there haven't been any case officers in jan for cat 3 because it's on hold temporarily while they deal with the backlog in cat 2 - if you email the automated DIAC update it is currently telling you cat 3 will be re-allocated when cat 2 is cleared (so this is not speculation!) and confirmed by our agent.

however - on the positive front in the last few days it has been updated and it does appear they have made rapid speed allocating in cat 2 in a short time and appear to be almost ready to deal with cat 3 again. Fingers crossed! Our agent tells us DIAC are now saying all cat 3 lodged before July 2010 should get their medicals and police checks done.

there haven't been any case officers in jan for cat 3 because it's on hold temporarily while they deal with the backlog in cat 2 - if you email the automated DIAC update it is currently telling you cat 3 will be re-allocated when cat 2 is cleared (so this is not speculation!) and confirmed by our agent.

however - on the positive front in the last few days it has been updated and it does appear they have made rapid speed allocating in cat 2 in a short time and appear to be almost ready to deal with cat 3 again. Fingers crossed! Our agent tells us DIAC are now saying all cat 3 lodged before July 2010 should get their medicals and police checks done.

Yes, if you are from a low risk country then it's best to have the meds and PCC ready.

Hi

I understand all about prority we were actually talking about why there are no applicant lodged on cat 3 since Dec 10 and if you read my post I have said that Cat 2 are being allocated CO and visa are being granted at speed also cat 3 yes theirs not much going on their but they are getting the odd visa grant and CO

Tania

Hi

I understand all about prority we were actually talking about why there are no applicant lodged on cat 3 since Dec 10 and if you read my post I have said that Cat 2 are being allocated CO and visa are being granted at speed also cat 3 yes theirs not much going on their but they are getting the odd visa grant and CO

Tania

Yes, and I also would like to add that if you are Cat 4 (like myself), you will be doing it tough for a few years.

Archived