I'm here and loving it!

tracy123

OK where am I up to?

I travelled with Singapore airlines, great trip I had 16 hours in Singapore, you can store your bags for 24 hours for only $6 Singapore dollars, I also booked the 6 hour hotel room. Really impressed with the room, it was a king size bed had a flat screen TV plus your own bathroom all for $64 SPD. I left the airport and took a train ride into Singapore, it was only $3.90 SPD and you get a dollar back on return of your ticket. If you fly Singapore airlines you can get on the tour bus for $6. (Or you can get a free 2 hour tour direct from the airport).

I just had a wonder around really, Singapore is clean and I felt safe, I went to the long bar and had a Singapore sling…. $30 SPD!!!!! Anyway it had to be done. Went back to the airport had a swim and spa, bloody fantastic!!!! Had a sleep and caught the plane home. Caught the 23:45 plane and it was empty so I had 4 seats to myself, fantastic.

I arrived on the 1st and headed up to Phillip Island for a few days as I couldn’t do anything, anyway.

On the 4th I went house hunting and a general look around, I also rang up and cancelled my job interview as I was to busy and was unsure how long things were going to take.

The first thing I did was go to the bank to sort out my account, I must say the things they promised they hadn’t delivered on, but after a few minutes it was all back on track. I didn’t have any cards waiting so I had to withdraw money (no real bother) just a few tips, you can withdraw $1,000 per day from the ATM, and up to $10,000 over the counter, if you want more just give them 1 days notice, they will give more on the day if they have it. (So the woman said!)

I rang up a few real estate agents and got viewings sorted for the same day, I told them I wanted a house ASAP and couldn’t wait for viewing days! The thing is if you don’t ask or express your needs no one knows what you want; remember it’s their job to get that house rented!!!! I didn’t find a house I wanted, so rang up a few more and made appointments the following day.

I found the house I wanted, put in an application (15.30) and by 19:00 I had a call to say I got it. Remember I’ve been away for 6 years so I have no credit history, no Australian references and no job!!! The only thing I had was an Aussie licence and money! I offered 3 months up front and the owners were happy enough with that.

I guess I’m lucky that I’m here for the sales; I’ve read on PIO that Australia doesn’t have huge discounts and you can only get those types of things in Europe. I’ve seen plenty of stores offering 70% off their goods so they are out there.

You can buy toasters and kettles for $9 in K-Mart (not on sale) fair enough they look cheap but if it gets you by does it really matter? They come with a 12 month guarantee so if there is anything wrong, take the thing back, you can also get kitchen start up sets for $99 that gives you the basics to get going. You can buy 42 inch TV’s for $500, DVD players for $40. Things aren’t as dear as some would make out. Furniture is as dear as you want it to be.

Getting a Mobile phone has been a pain as I wanted a skype phone and the only place I could get 1 was in the CBD, but once again once there things were easy sorted.

So what’s next?

A job!!!! I should have something sorted by tomorrow, then it’s a simple case

(I hope) of getting services connected and the kids in school, waiting for Tracy and the kids to arrive then life begins!!!!

As more things happen I’ll keep posting

, any questions just fire away

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie

Great to see you back on Line Geoff... a wonderful post, you have managed to sort out so much... finally back on your own home turf.. I am sure Tracy and the children are becoming so excited now.

Love Susie :hug::fish:

Hey Geoff hope you are settling back home without too much culture shock. JB HI FI have got fab sales on at the moment and Harris Scarfe have plenty of stuff too, even electrical, not TV's though, but kitchen stuff and linen. At least the sun is out for you, it's been hissing down for months.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Sounds awful..........................awfully nice. lol

Glad its going well buddy, make sure the rented property has a spare bedroom, i might need putting up. lol

Best of luck mate, you will get alot more done without the wife being there with you............ dragging you down.

Sounds awful..........................awfully nice. lol

Glad its going well buddy, make sure the rented property has a spare bedroom, i might need putting up. lol

Best of luck mate, you will get alot more done without the wife being there with you............ dragging you down.

Get back on Bondi where you belong Ropey.:laugh:Geoff is doing fine in the best country in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Guest flakey

sooooooo true!!

Forgot to add, the beer tastes good as well..... Nothing like a cold beer on a hot day!!!!

Flakey it has been easy so far, you just need to know what you want!

Thanks Susie

Olly got my stuff from retravision The bloke remembers me from 6 yrs ago, if anyone wants some good deals on electricals just drop me a PM.

Hoffy for you mate the shed will always be there! I'll even put down some fresh hey!

Forgot to add, the beer tastes good as well..... Nothing like a cold beer on a hot day!!!!

Flakey it has been easy so far, you just need to know what you want!

Thanks Susie

Olly got my stuff from retravision The bloke remembers me from 6 yrs ago, if anyone wants some good deals on electricals just drop me a PM.

Hoffy for you mate the shed will always be there! I'll even put down some fresh hey!

Good one for shopping then Geoff. Any inclinations to go to the pub at lunchtime yet:laugh:took me a while to get over that one:yes:

Aussie sausages are great! compaired to those crap English ones :wink::biglaugh:

Lemons are $78 dollars each, but they taste like lemons so well worth it! :jiggy:

Lemons are falling off my tree and my neighbours tree and at work people are bringing in boxes of them begging me to take them, suffice to say lemon delicious pudding is on the menu well and truly this summer.:shocked:

5% increase over the last two weeks then:cool:

Don't know about that Pabs, but I have been a work with some people today that look like they have been eating a few too many lemons that's for sure :laugh:(sour faced) whoops did I say that:err:

Good one for shopping then Geoff. Any inclinations to go to the pub at lunchtime yet:laugh:took me a while to get over that one:yes:

:nah: didn't enjoy the English pubs, just couldn't get into them. Mind you not into Aussie pubs either

Guest siamsusie
Being quite serious here susie:mad::biggrin:,we stocked up on lemons in singapore airport duty free on our way to oz,only $10 each:daydreaming:

:policeman::elvis::policeman:Did ya! and you smuggled them in:elvis:..do you realise thats against the law:mad:. $10 goodness they were cheap Pabs, paid $31.50 today mind you they were Vodka soaked:cute:

:biglaugh:You did not tell me you didnt Pabs?

Glad all is good so far Geoff and its good to see your keeping busy,lol

Agree re -retrovision,, some bargains to be had there if you can haggle,lol

Good Luck for the house viewings.

Cal x

Got a house move in next friday :jiggy:

Guest siamsusie
Got a house move in next friday :jiggy:

Did you notice all the plastic tables and chairs at all the posh restaurants Geoff?:cute:

:policeman::elvis::policeman:Did ya! and you smuggled them in:elvis:..do you realise thats against the law:mad:. $10 goodness they were cheap Pabs, paid $31.50 today mind you they were Vodka soaked:cute:

:biglaugh:You did not tell me you didnt Pabs?

Im afraid i did susie,i wore one of those muslim letterboxes to carry out this heinous crime:dull:

Archived