Places to settle - advice needed!

Bee Jay

Hi

We recently passed our medicals and have had our visas granted. We have booked a visit to Australia in April, to validate our visas (flying into Brisbane) and we hope to visit Melbourne and Adelaide too.

Can anybody recommend any areas in these places to look at, with the view to settling there when we eventually emmigrate.

My husband is a Plumber/Heating Engineer and we have a 10 year old son.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated as we have read loads, but personal experience/recommendation is what we are after.

Many thanks

Bev

It's really hard to decided!!! There is always a great debate over north vs south!!!!! I think it depends on many things - like where your hubby is most likely to find work, whether you want to be near the water and pay a premium for it, or go further inland and get a bit more for your money - but deal with the hotter summer temperatures.

As Cal says - perhaps give us a little bit more to go on and then people will be able to give you some more ideas.

Love

Rudi

x

Hi

We recently passed our medicals and have had our visas granted. We have booked a visit to Australia in April, to validate our visas (flying into Brisbane) and we hope to visit Melbourne and Adelaide too.

Can anybody recommend any areas in these places to look at, with the view to settling there when we eventually emmigrate.

My husband is a Plumber/Heating Engineer and we have a 10 year old son.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated as we have read loads, but personal experience/recommendation is what we are after.

Many thanks

Bev

The Sunshine Coast is predicted to explode population wise over the next few years, and North Lakes, on the North side of Brisbane is also growing at an amazing rate so might be worth considering for your line of work.

The Sunshine Coast is predicted to explode population wise over the next few years, and North Lakes, on the North side of Brisbane is also growing at an amazing rate so might be worth considering for your line of work.

I think you could say that about many areas of Brisbane - there are HUGE development plans for the corridor between Brisbane and the Gold Coast........

Love

Rudi

x

Sorry, didn't give you much to go on did I?!

We would love to live somewhere near to the sea and with good schools and shops nearby. Not too far from a city would be good too. Obviously it would depend on hubby finding work as a Plumber of Heating Engineer. Have got friends near Brisbane, which is where we are heading first. Were are also looking at Adelaide - am I right in thinking that the temperatures in summer are cooler there?

Bev

Hi Bev

OK.......well in that case - have a look at Wynnum and Manly as a starting point. By the water, excellent city access on the train and not too bad by car either. Most schools around there are ok, but I think there are a couple to avoid, but I am sure people living in those suburbs will have better advice for you.

If they don't suit, then you could look futher down the coast in the rest of the bayside suburbs are -

Birkdale, Wellington Point, Ormiston and Cleveland are all on the train line into the city and are all waterside suburbs. Thornlands, Victoria Point and Redland Bay are all Bayside as well, but not on the trainline - although not too far from Cleveland. There's probably some parts of Thornlands which are closer to Cleveland station than some parts of Cleveland are LOL. Victoria Point and Redland Bay have the advantage of being a little less expensive because they are not on the train line. Drive time into the city from Redland Bay, which is the furthest suburb out I've mentioned is around 45 mins to an hour. However, it's the same to the Gold Coast, so you have the advantage of looking at working in either direction.

Hope that helps a bit!

Love

Rudi

x

Less humidity in Adelaide I'd say, but it was 43 degrees in South Australia the other day, whereas Brisbane is around 30 degrees on average in Summer.

Less humidity in Adelaide I'd say, but it was 43 degrees in South Australia the other day, whereas Brisbane is around 30 degrees on average in Summer.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Brisbane tends to have less extreme temperatures than many of the other places in Australia. It's not as hot in the summer and not as cold in the winter!! However, between February and March the humidity is pretty draining on some days.

Love

Rudi

x

Adelaide gets long periods of high 30's temp which can be hard to live with. A day or two of 40 degrees is fine so long as it clears with a nice cool southerly (like Melbourne) but several days of extreme heat is painful. Perth can have long hot periods as well.

We live 90 minutes west of Melbourne in Torquay which is on the Surf Coast and popular for tourists and surfing. We like living in a holiday town and it's good fun for our primary age kids.

If you don't need to commute into Melbourne, then maybe look at Torquay. Lots of trade jobs around here as new house building is massive in this area. They are always short of decent tradies.

Archived