RRV (I require extension)

Pallen

Hi all

I currently have Skilled Migration residency Visa (Sub/Class 139) and I hav to be in Australia for March 2011 BUT my father has recently had 2 strokes and is now recovering. He is not allowed to drive for the short term and I would like to stay another few months to help with his rehabilitation

Is this possible and how will I undertake this?

I have been in Australia, to activate my visa, in 2007 and was there for about 2 months and again in 2009 for about a month. I know that if I had been there for 2 years then I would be granted an RRV easier.. but I believe it is possible to have one granted on compassionate grounds.

Best regards and thanks

Antony

Guest Guest31881

Sorry to hear about your father I hope he is feeling better soon.

To be honest Pallen I would be contacting a good agent to see if they could help me. If I have understood you correctly, you have validated your visa but never emigrated, just used the visa to visit. One of the criteria for an RRV is showing a commitment to Australia, I do not think you can do that. As you are not resident I do not think you could ask for a residents return Visa, what it sounds like you really need is an extension to your visa to allow you to emigrate and i think they are very hard to get as Australian Immigration obviously feel 5 yrs is enough time to make the move.

Contact an agent and get some professional advice they may know how to word the application to get you a good chance of success.

Yes Ive never actually emigrated yet; I have actualy been using the time to travel before I start my new life in Australia BUT now with the complication of my father I just really require an additional 3 months or so to make sure my parents get back on their feet

There is no such thing as an extension. You will either get a RRV or you will not.

I don't think your father's recent illness is a terribly strong justification for why the visa has not been used in the last five years.

However I have seen RRVs being granted when you would really think there was no chance whatsoever.

But do not go this one alone, get a registered migration agent to help you put something together. I think your chances are very slim, but I have thought that before and an applicant has succeeded; the worst that can happen is you are refused so definitely worth a shot.

• 3 months later...
Guest arniespie22

I have a similar case with Anthony. Actually my visa expired last January 2011. I have been twice to Sydney but stayed for a month only. I am planning to apply for a 3-month RRV this coming june. I have a bank account in Australia do you think they will grant me a 3mos RRV? Thanks.

Archived