New British food stall in Victoria's wild west (er, Melton)

Becontree Boy

After relying on "Treats from Home" in Collins Street, Melbourne CBD for several years, it's good to know that British food, crisps are now available nearer to home (for those of us living in the Western suburbs).

Chilli Red is a stall in Woodgrove Shopping Mall, just off the Western Freeway in Melton. It's owner got fed up with all the requests from poms for British food and decided to do something about it. As an Aussie, he's flying blind and is relying on his British customers to tell him what to stock. He seems to be very happy that if a British customer asks for an item not in stock, they keep their promise to collect when he puts in a special order.

There's a web site too Chilli Red Food Company .

As ever with this kind of outlet, Chilli Red's prices are on the high side. The import of UK foods seems to be limited to two or three wholesalers. I wonder if that's where the biggest profit margins are? However, the convenience of being able to buy Britsh food locally offsets the high cost.

Thanks for this. I will be in the Western Suburbs and its good to know that I can pop over to Melton for some Thornton's toffees and Hula Hoops if I am having a bad day and feel the need for a taste of home. :yes:. But WOW, $125 for a large tin of Quality Street? :shocked:

I may have to suggest that they add Yorkshire Tea to their consignment though.

Archived