Left the UK with bad debt?

Guest madplumber2

Guest bacardi167
I guess if the lenders will not agree to a payment plan then their is little you can do, however i would have thought they would agree to something rather than nothing at all. My point was that if everyone had your attitude and left that kind of debt then imo Britain would be in even more of a mess.

Also i do not think i am being ignorant at all by saying that people should pay off their debts before emmigrating. If you feel i am then fair enough:shocked:

Lets get this straight,

1 i didnt leave because of my debt, I intended to come over anyway. I lied here 15 years ago and had always worked to wards it, so it wasnt a case of running to get away from debts.

2. What attitude? If i dont have 12.5 grand and the lenders wont take a repayment scheme ..what do you sugggset i do? I am still waiting for your solution to pay of my debts.

Of course the country would be worse of, but if lenders are so greedy they wil not accept a repayment scheme then (again) what do you suggest we do? If i had stayed there, the country would stil be inthe same mess so please dont use us as cheap excusses, it like me saying, all you who earn over 30k a year should pay more tax..say 40% that would cure it wouldnt it?

I also agrre with you that people ahould pay off there debts before emmigrating..if they can.(our visas were payed by my wifes father). Again if the lenders were not so greedy i'd happily pay what i owed, which in the grand scheme of politicians expenses etc is not a lot.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion, and i respect that, but i'll speak to you again next time you wife leaves you, with the kids and claims for everything possible...and the house..lest see if your views have changed then eh?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TBH andy,i think a lot of people wont sympathise with the banks over lost money anymore

The reasons for that could be.....the banks caused this worldwide recession(so im told)with lending they KNEW 100% was dodgy,so if it wasnt for the banks you could say i wouldnt be approx £20 k down on earnings these last 18 months?,i dont think they'l get much sympathy rightly or wrongly?

Listen mate i dont agree with what the banks have done over the last few years either, i think we have been done over:shocked:, all i was saying that if everyone decided not to pay off their debt before emmigrating then that would be a bit of a poor show. The issue with the banks cannot always be an excuse for people not paying what they owe.

Lets get this straight,

1 i didnt leave because of my debt, I intended to come over anyway. I lied here 15 years ago and had always worked to wards it, so it wasnt a case of running to get away from debts.

2. What attitude? If i dont have 12.5 grand and the lenders wont take a repayment scheme ..what do you sugggset i do? I am still waiting for your solution to pay of my debts.

Of course the country would be worse of, but if lenders are so greedy they wil not accept a repayment scheme then (again) what do you suggest we do? If i had stayed there, the country would stil be inthe same mess so please dont use us as cheap excusses, it like me saying, all you who earn over 30k a year should pay more tax..say 40% that would cure it wouldnt it?

I also agrre with you that people ahould pay off there debts before emmigrating..if they can.(our visas were payed by my wifes father). Again if the lenders were not so greedy i'd happily pay what i owed, which in the grand scheme of politicians expenses etc is not a lot.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion, and i respect that, but i'll speak to you again next time you wife leaves you, with the kids and claims for everything possible...and the house..lest see if your views have changed then eh?

Just read even if they have written off your debt they can still re-open the case if you go back to the UK plus intrest.

Guest Stevebel

I can't speak for Australia, but I've certainly had debt collectors knocking on my door for a debt incurred overseas!

Some years ago, I was treated at a German hospital. I had surgery and ended up in intensive care for three weeks, followed by another week of recuperation in a private ward. All of this was covered by BUPA International, so no problem.

I also received a cheque to compensate me for the hospital time - all part of the reward for paying BUPA a small fortune every month for the best possible level of care.

I went back to the UK, and 9 months or so later a UK debt collector knocked on my door and served me with papers demanding payment of something around €3K. I had 14 days to pay up, otherwise the Bailiffs would turn up.

I was flabberghasted, but to cut a long story short it turned out that BUPA International had disputed one of the (many!!) charges the hospital had made, and since the hospital couldn't resolve it with BUPA they came after me.

Obviously my German address was no longer in use, so I didn't receive any of their correspondence, but the German debt collection agency tracked me down to my UK address and had the papers served there!

I'll never know how it would have gone if I'd challenged it, because I just paid up.

I see from the article posted by Bobby (this one) that Germany is named as having a debt collection agreement with the UK, so perhaps it really doesn't apply to Australia, but don't think for a minute that you're untraceable once you jump on a plane.

Unless you've taken specific measures to ensure that's the case of course :policeman:

Lets get this straight,

I dont have a solution to pay off your debt, like i said earlier if the lenders will not accept weekly/monthly payments and you have not got the money then i guess there is not a solution.

I can't speak for Australia, but I've certainly had debt collectors knocking on my door for a debt incurred overseas!

Some years ago, I was treated at a German hospital. I had surgery and ended up in intensive care for three weeks, followed by another week of recuperation in a private ward. All of this was covered by BUPA International, so no problem.

I also received a cheque to compensate me for the hospital time - all part of the reward for paying BUPA a small fortune every month for the best possible level of care.

I went back to the UK, and 9 months or so later a UK debt collector knocked on my door and served me with papers demanding payment of something around €3K. I had 14 days to pay up, otherwise the Bailiffs would turn up.

I was flabberghasted, but to cut a long story short it turned out that BUPA International had disputed one of the (many!!) charges the hospital had made, and since the hospital couldn't resolve it with BUPA they came after me.

Obviously my German address was no longer in use, so I didn't receive any of their correspondence, but the German debt collection agency tracked me down to my UK address and had the papers served there!

I'll never know how it would have gone if I'd challenged it, because I just paid up.

I see from the article posted by Bobby (this one) that Germany is named as having a debt collection agreement with the UK, so perhaps it really doesn't apply to Australia, but don't think for a minute that you're untraceable once you jump on a plane.

Unless you've taken specific measures to ensure that's the case of course :policeman:

Good post and the fact that they can re-open a supposed 6 year closed case if they find you makes it a good idea to leave a Country Debt-free if possible.

I dont have a solution to pay off your debt, like i said earlier if the lenders will not accept weekly/monthly payments and you have not got the money then i guess there is not a solution.

Could always borrow the money from an Australian lender, then send it back to the uk at a very favourable exchange rate:daydreaming:

Listen mate i dont agree with what the banks have done over the last few years either, i think we have been done over:shocked:, all i was saying that if everyone decided not to pay off their debt before emmigrating then that would be a bit of a poor show. The issue with the banks cannot always be an excuse for people not paying what they owe.

No,im not saying it can mate,im just saying i dont think they'l get much sympathy,thats all.

Guest bacardi167

Well until there is a solution i suggest the comments of "its a bad show to leave with debts" & "as long as you can sleep at night ok", should be restricted to people who have knowinly ripped of the uk...and there are a lot of those.

Its very easy to sit at home and judge, try doing a day in the life of those of us who struggle.....

again, you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how rose coloured the spectacles are.

Guest bacardi167

Toolbox...

Lend me 12.5 grand uk or about 25 grand aussie please.

been here a year and half no house, 2 kids but got a job

just send throughthe papers mate and i'll sign them asap...thanks

Toolbox...

Lend me 12.5 grand uk or about 25 grand aussie please.

been here a year and half no house, 2 kids but got a job

just send throughthe papers mate and i'll sign them asap...thanks

At todays exchange rate you would only need borrow about $19000 so that will save you £4000 straight away.

You asked for a solution to your debt so there you go, sounds good to me, you actually save money.

I'm not a money lender sorry, got my own debts to pay but you got me thinking...thanks

Guest bacardi167
At todays exchange rate you would only need borrow about $19000 so that will save you £4000 straight away.

You asked for a solution to your debt so there you go, sounds good to me, you actually save money.

I'm not a money lender sorry, got my own debts to pay but you got me thinking...thanks

Toolbox,

on a 19 grand loan i actually payback over 25k, therefore not saving but costing me money....BUT

I will go to the bank with my info on Wed and let you know the outcome of my loan application

Thank you for trying to save me money "in a wierd kinda way" :err:

Toolbox,

on a 19 grand loan i actually payback over 25k, therefore not saving but costing me money....BUT

I will go to the bank with my info on Wed and let you know the outcome of my loan application

Thank you for trying to save me money "in a wierd kinda way" :err:

Yes but if you borrow $25000 you would pay back well over $30000 so I have saved you money:yes:

You may find the bank unwilling to lend if you only been living there a short while but in time you could build up your credit rating.

Trouble with people not paying debt is that the lenders will just pass on thier losses to those of us that do:mad:

Guest bacardi167
Yes but if you borrow $25000 you would pay back well over $30000 so I have saved you money:yes:

You may find the bank unwilling to lend if you only been living there a short while but in time you could build up your credit rating.

Trouble with people not paying debt is that the lenders will just pass on thier losses to those of us that do:mad:

totally understand that last bit mate; and just like yiu i've been paying tax and for everyone else for bout 25 years now.

Never claimed, always worked and paid my dues...when financial people dont want to acept terms then thats thier problem...

FYI and you may wel know this

they do not actually loose money. they will have predicted to nake say 100 million profit. If they only make 95 million profit, it shows as 5 million loss and they pass that on....it not a loss at all...

So no chance of lending me the 20k then...i'll pay it back. i promise...:wink:

Bottom line is that they can re-open a case aginst you even if they have cancelled it after 6 years, it means they are not activly looking for you....but if you ever go back and your name ever comes to their notice when you try and get something on higher purchace or borrow money for a mortgage etc your name will be probably flagged up as these companies are alll helping each other and share names address etc, plus they will probably sting you with a massive intrest build-up.

Best not to try it if I am being honest, only trying to help mate.

totally understand that last bit mate; and just like yiu i've been paying tax and for everyone else for bout 25 years now.

Never claimed, always worked and paid my dues...when financial people dont want to acept terms then thats thier problem...

they do not actually loose money. they will have predicted to nake say 100 million profit. If they only make 95 million profit, it shows as 5 million loss and they pass that on....it not a loss at all...

Don't borrow money you can not afford to pay back, its as simple as that. Live within your means.

But surely they would make a loss if everyone did'nt pay the money back:confused:

I got my own carpentry/roofing business so I know what its like to be owed money.

Trust me you would'nt want to owe me :wink:

Guest guest37336

In the spirit of Christmas and New Year I would like to extend the hand of peace and joy across the vast oceans that separate us................

Oh, bullocks to all that mumbo jumbo.

Can I join in as well,:wubclub::wubclub::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest bacardi167
Don't borrow money you can not afford to pay back, its as simple as that. Live within your means.

You're 100 % right mate, until your misus walk out on you and takes everything you earn every week...you just cant forsee that mate

But you're basic principle is right...

Guest bacardi167
I wouldn't criticise anyones English - It has taken me a while to decipher some of your posts.

yeah me too, nut i couldnt really understand who this guy was or what he was on about....?

Like i said, dont give it if you cant take it..and he obviously cant

i may eventually find out what some guy from WA; i've never met, has against me....

wonder if he didnt like me turning the tables on the race thing?

You're 100 % right mate, until your misus walk out on you and takes everything you earn every week...you just cant forsee that mate

But you're basic principle is right...

That's all very well but your personal life has nothing to do with a banking institution does it.

Its not a complex issue - you borrow a pound and you pay back a pound with interest.

Archived