457 Visa Sponsorship required

MattC

Due to my sponsor having a lack of work, my contract was terminated on 18th November. As a consequence and a condition of the 457 I have 28 days to seek another sponsor-is there anyone out there that can help or provide advice on where I can seek employment?

I have a degree in Construction Management and have four years site experience within the water sector constructing many water treatment plants within the UK. I also have 5 months work experience within earthworks here in Western Australia.

I'd be grateful for any help or advice.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi

sorry i don't know the answer to this, i have replied to put your question back up to the front, so hopefully someone can give you an answer, best of luck.

Guest kerryemm

Hi,

Contact DIAC....they should treat your case individually, you may be able to get a bridging visa.....apply to all the larger companies. Good luck

Hi,

Contact DIAC....they should treat your case individually, you may be able to get a bridging visa.....apply to all the larger companies. Good luck

I can tell that you mean well and want to make OP feel better but I am just not sure this is the right advice. What do you mean by DIAC "treating each case individually"? They are not going to say well we like the look of you so you can stay. I wouldn't be running to DIAC without a proper plan in place, anything else is only likely to expediate matters, whereas OP needs time. And he isn't going to get a bridging visa unless he has applied for another onshore visa,it is not possible to apply for a bridging visa per se.

Guest kerryemm

Just giving the advice we were given! Treating each case individually means exactly what I said sorry I can't explain it any further.....and I didn't suggest 'running' to DIAC without a 'proper' plan in place.

I have a Subclass 457 visa and I have lost my job. What happens now? What are my options?

Your subclass 457 visa has been granted to you on the basis of your being sponsored by your former employer. If you have lost your job, your subclass 457 visa may be liable to be cancelled under paragraph 116(1)(b) of the Migration Act 1958 for breach of condition 8107. Condition 8107 provides that the holder must not cease to be employed by the employer in relation to which the visa was granted. If you have lost your job, there are three options available to you:

• Find another employer who is willing to sponsor you. The employer will need to be an approved sponsor and lodge a new nomination for you. The nomination must be approved before you can commence working for them. You are no longer required to lodge a new visa application provided you are not looking to extend the validity period of your visa.
    Example: You only have 18 months left on your visa when you change employer, unless you apply for a further visa, your visa will expire at the end of the 18 months.
  • Apply for another type of substantive visa for which you may be eligible for.
    Example: If you want to study, a student visa, or if you want to have a holiday before returning home, a visitor visa.
  • Leave Australia.

If your circumstances prevent you from taking one of these options within 28 days of your ceasing employment, you should contact the department by telephone or go to your nearest departmental office as soon as possible and an officer will discuss the situation with you.

Telephone: 131 881

Is there any chance of extending my stay beyond 28 days after ceasing employment? (kids are in school, have exams in April, was laid off in February).

You should, within 28 days of your employer terminating your employment, do one of the following:

• Find another employer who is willing to sponsor you. The employer will need to be an approved sponsor and lodge a new nomination for you. The nomination must be approved before you can commence working for them. You are no longer required to lodge a new visa application provided you are not looking to extend the validity period of your visa.
  • Apply for another type of substantive visa.
  • Leave Australia.

If your circumstances prevent you from taking one of these options within 28 days of your ceasing employment, you should contact the department by telephone or go to your nearest departmental office as soon as possible and an officer will discuss the situation with you.

Telephone: 131 881

Archived