Geelong meet

Guest guest36762

For anyone living in or around Geelong, can you recommend areas to live, will possibly be working in Melbourne and doing the commute, but would really welcome any advice on areas. If it helps to show what we're looking for....i'm a nurse, OH, David is painter & decorator, looking to start up his own business agin in Oz, have family 4,6,16 and 19, with 23yr old to follow. So we'll be looking for somewhere with reasonable commute distance to Melbourne, good transport links, schools, university access, etc. Many thanks

Will you (nurse) be working in Melbourne ?

I worked at Royal Melbourne Hospital and commuted (2 years) by train..........We live in Lara - this is the furthest I would go from Melbourne in terms of commuting. The trains fitted in nicely with the shift work BUT, it did make it a long shift - Your 8.5 hour shift actually became an 11/12 hr shift. The train time is roughly 3/4 hr from Lara to Melbourne.

The schools in Lara are reasonable - we have had no problem with our 16 year old (14 when we arrived).

Lara is and will remain quite rural despite the large amount of new houses being built - it is quite quiet and there is not much for the kids to do. The shopping is woeful - you have to travel to Corio or further afield to Geelong.

Transport links are quite good (although VLine leaves a lot to be desired at times)............

When are you arriving ?

Gill

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Thanks for all the helpful comments. We're waiting for our visa, but are hopeful that we should have it, to arrive hopefully August to December.

Yes Wife, Tania, is a nurse and is currently being considered for posts at The Alfred in Prahan, they are recruiting in next few months for the end of year starters.

Am i wrong about train commute as it seemed to say closer to 2 hours? How long do you think it'd take to drive to Prahan from Geelong- ? 40 mins?

Someone mentioned a meet up, this would be fab if there are any going on later in year, as we know no one out there...lots of new friends to make.

Hi, Thanks for all the helpful comments. We're waiting for our visa, but are hopeful that we should have it, to arrive hopefully August to December.

Yes Wife, Tania, is a nurse and is currently being considered for posts at The Alfred in Prahan, they are recruiting in next few months for the end of year starters.

Am i wrong about train commute as it seemed to say closer to 2 hours? How long do you think it'd take to drive to Prahan from Geelong- ? 40 mins?

Someone mentioned a meet up, this would be fab if there are any going on later in year, as we know no one out there...lots of new friends to make.

If your wife is being considered for The Alfred, I would rethink places to stay and this side of the bay would be a no-no (for me anyway)

The train - I am travelling from Lara to Melbourne (google it on the map) takes 45 mins then your wife would have to get from Southern Cross (railway station ) to the Alfred.......much too much of a journey.....................yes, probably from Geelong to The Alfred relying on public transport would take 2 hours !!!!!

I really think you need to sit down and rethink of places to relocate too..............even driving to the Alfred would be too much - it makes no difference the time of day, the traffic heading into Melbourne is horrendous........................for me, it is a big NO-NO - I would imagine driving from this side of the bay (Geelong) to The Alfred would take 2 hours also....................................

I am sure that by the time you arrive, there will be plenty of meets to attend - a good way to catch up with people who are in the same boat as you (so to speak)

Cheers ..................................... Gill

Thanks Gilliantay, thats really helpful stuff to know re commuting times. We looked at Geelong because it's big, lots to do for all, don't want to be stuck in middle of nowhere with teenagers.

When you say this side of the bay do you mean Geelong side or other side...Corio etc? Had Corio, some of newcomb and norlane, on list to avoid, would you agree with this?

Thanks Gilliantay, thats really helpful stuff to know re commuting times. We looked at Geelong because it's big, lots to do for all, don't want to be stuck in middle of nowhere with teenagers.

When you say this side of the bay do you mean Geelong side or other side...Corio etc? Had Corio, some of newcomb and norlane, on list to avoid, would you agree with this?

When I say this side of the bay, I mean from Point Cook down to Geelong.................it is too far to travel to The Alfred.

Look at the Google map again - go to the opposite side of the bay ie Port Melbourne down to Mordialloc.................................

If you are planning on The Alfred, I would suggest living at that side.

Are you going to be PR or will you be sponsored by The Alfred ?

If PR, have you considered The Geelong Hospital ? There are always vacancies there.

..............................Corio and Norlane...............lots of cheap housing but there is a reason for that.............................you would not want to stay there !

Cheers....................Gill

Guest Debpaul

We also had a grt night and met some great people. Would love to do again. Thanks Harpodom for arranging it all. Thanks to everone for a great night. xx

Guest guest36762
Just spoke to Harpodom. It appears he's been suffering all day:laugh: to be fair I felt a bit rough myself this morning, I must have been a bit inebriated myself, I can only apologise if I offended/annoyed/bored anyone.

Hey everyone, I'm back online! woohoo!

yeah, it was a great night, lovely to meet so many people in real life, and quite a few were new arrivals, so it was good that they came along.

TBH I thought there'd only be about 3 people turn up!

I have been suffering all day, which means I was very bladdered last night!

I apologise profusely to any women I got inappropriately tactile with!

And no, you certainly didn't offend me mate

Here's to the next one....

Anyone fancy a Geelong PIO Golf day?

Dom

Had a great time last night although very rough this morning!....... but just got back from a few beers after the Pako festival (which I missed most of).

It was great to meet everyone last night and another gathering needs to be arranged soon.

Id be up for a golf session, never really played but i'll give it a go.

Guest roaminnomore

Firstly I have to say, HUGE thanks to Harpodom for making the meet possible. Great company, jolly night and I would like to nominate Harpondom for future arrangments! :wink:

Hubby was hung over this morning and has left half the night at the Scottish Chiefs but still managed the Paco Festival well...

Someone mention 'Poms in Geelong' the the abbreviation came (PIGS), could possibly be our future name.

Love to all, going of line for a couple of weeks due to moving house on Monday and connection time. Catch up with you all the.

Ley xxx

Guest Tralaah

Hi everyone from the PIO Geelong meet up last Friday! Paul and I had a great time, it was lovely to meet so many friendly people and, as has already been said on here, I look forward to many more great fun nights. Thank you Dom for organising the meet up, hopefully for the next one I'll make sure I have the day off as I had a slightly wobbly head getting up at 5.00 am the next morning! I don't think I'll go down the golf route, but looking forward to future girly nights out ......

Hi everyone from the PIO Geelong meet up last Friday! Paul and I had a great time, it was lovely to meet so many friendly people and, as has already been said on here, I look forward to many more great fun nights. Thank you Dom for organising the meet up, hopefully for the next one I'll make sure I have the day off as I had a slightly wobbly head getting up at 5.00 am the next morning! I don't think I'll go down the golf route, but looking forward to future girly nights out ......

Poor you having to get up the next day......................I think it took me to Sunday to feel 'human' again !!!!

A 'girls' night sounds good though - the men can go golfing and we will hit the pub.

Not sure about posting pictures of night out.

Let me know how you all feel about it. Not that there are many.........I am usually picture mad, snapping anything that moves which just goes to prove that it was such a good night that I didn't have time to take many !!!!

Guest guest36762

Let me know how you all feel about it. Not that there are many.........I am usually picture mad, snapping anything that moves which just goes to prove that it was such a good night that I didn't have time to take many !!!!

I don't have a problem with it, I think

Guest Tralaah

I'm fine with it as long as I don't have to see them!:eek:

They look good. I honestly don't remember them getting taken. I seem to remember giving my missus' number to someone who was arranging a girls night out, can't remember who though?

Not guilty - or at least I can't remember !!!!!!! Where was your missus when the camera was out ?

Guest guest36762
Go ahead.........

I've done it, apologies if I got names wrong

apologies especially to Mrs Eddie

Archived