Engineer Australia

fivetogo

I applied on 30 June 2010 for proffesional Engineer and I was assessed on 26 October 2010 , almost 18 weeks... I think there is no reason to worry...

At last, I've found some fellow engineer's on the forum!

I had a brief look on the Engineers Australia website and it seemed to be aimed more towards chartered engineers. I have a BEng from Brunel with 10 years relevant post-grad experience.

What kind of qualifications do you guys have?

Guest abeersalik
At last, I've found some fellow engineer's on the forum!

I had a brief look on the Engineers Australia website and it seemed to be aimed more towards chartered engineers. I have a BEng from Brunel with 10 years relevant post-grad experience.

What kind of qualifications do you guys have?

Engineers Australia Ι Migration Skills Assessment

if you are an offshore applicant, counting from the date when you had the receipt from EA, it's almost 17 to 18 weeks. so, no worries and just waiting quietlty.

good luck to you.

Hi Sandy is it qualification based or skills based? accredited Qualifications based is 3 weeks, experience based is 16 weeks. Have you had a receipt in the post?

I think his qualification is experience based. So we do have to wait another two months!!! :arghh:

Yes we have had a receipt. Date: 14.9.2010. So we will be patiently.

I think his qualification is experience based. So we do have to wait another two months!!! :arghh:

Yes we have had a receipt. Date: 14.9.2010. So we will be patiently.

i guess you will get what you want before February of next year.

I got my skills recognition in 3/4weeks.

As I remember the only "awkward" bit was finding out if the qualification I had (BEng Hons) was accredited under the Washington Accord. Even though I did a BEng (graduated in 2001) my degree was recognised as a professional engineer as when I did my degree the BEng was sufficient for Chartered Engineer.

I just wrote a covering letter with all my information explaining Washington Accord references etc.

Thanks, I'd read that a while back.

However, I dont think my skills match any of the types of "engineer" that they list on there :no:

The descriptions on there seem more suited to analytical mechanical engineers which isn't me. I lead a small team of designers working on electrical accessories (plugs, sockets etc.) and lighting fixtures for domestic and commercial use.

Prior to that I worked for two automation companies designing welding fixtures etc.

you could look at engineering technologist nec, or engineering professional nec they are for engineers who don't quite fit into the pigeon holes of the other classifications. Do you have engineering qualifications? It sounds like you might have a lot of experience so you could classified through that.

you could look at engineering technologist nec, or engineering professional nec they are for engineers who don't quite fit into the pigeon holes of the other classifications. Do you have engineering qualifications? It sounds like you might have a lot of experience so you could classified through that.

I have a 2:1 BEng degree in Mechanical engineering design.

Is it accredited by any of the engineering governing bodies? Imech or IET etc.?

Sadly not.

Having re-read the document linked to on the last page, it looks like I could easily apply as an "Engineering Technologist". This even mentions that these people are less of the analytical engineer and more of a manager with an engineering background (that's me).

I note that I would have to complete a brief that details my relevant work experience - I can do this easily but will they contact my current employer? Obviously this would be a bad move!

I've just taken a look through the SMP lists for the 3 states that have released theirs. The ANZSCO code for Engineering Technologist is 233914 but thats not on any of the lists. The closest I can see is 312511 Mechanical Draughtsperson which, is not on the (very short) list of occupations given in the Engineers Australia list:

Professional Engineer

Engineering Technologist

Engineering Associate

Engineering Manager (133211)

The first three of these are not even shown on the Skilled Occupation lists (schedule 3 or 4)

Guest abeersalik
Sadly not.

Having re-read the document linked to on the last page, it looks like I could easily apply as an "Engineering Technologist". This even mentions that these people are less of the analytical engineer and more of a manager with an engineering background (that's me).

I note that I would have to complete a brief that details my relevant work experience - I can do this easily but will they contact my current employer? Obviously this would be a bad move!

I've just taken a look through the SMP lists for the 3 states that have released theirs. The ANZSCO code for Engineering Technologist is 233914 but thats not on any of the lists. The closest I can see is 312511 Mechanical Draughtsperson which, is not on the (very short) list of occupations given in the Engineers Australia list:

Professional Engineer

Engineering Technologist

Engineering Associate

Engineering Manager (133211)

The first three of these are not even shown on the Skilled Occupation lists (schedule 3 or 4)

Hi Goochie,

I m bit confused of your situation. Could you please clarify few things.

1. Do you have 4-yrs BEng degree in Mech Engg Automotive Design from Brunel?

2. Are you recognized as IEng or EngTech by The Engineering Council of UK?

Regards,

SA

Guest abeersalik
Goochie

I'd take another look at the SOL schedule 3. Engineering technologist 233914 is at the top of page 2.

Goochie is definitely not looking at things in a correct perspective, if I m getting him right.

Right then, lets try again :laugh:

My Background

In 2001 I graduated from "Buckinghamshire College (a college of Brunel University)" with a 2:1 BEng degree in "Mechanical Engineering Design"

Because the college was then a "college of Brunel University" I got a Brunel degree and my certificate looks identical to one from someone who studied at the main campus in Uxbridge.

However - It is not accredited by the IMechE as it would have been if I studied at the main Brunel campus.

I seem to remember that my degree was accredited by the IED (Institute of Engineering Designers http://www.ied.org.uk ) but in order to maintain tat status you had to pay a fee - As a fresh graduate I thought that was pointless so diddnt bother!

Since then I have worked as a design engineer, project engineer and now projects manager at 3 different companies.

I'm fluent in Pro/Engineer, AutoCAD and Solidworks with experience of FEA and CFD.

I'm listed as the inventor on 2 patents and 4 EU Registered designs for my current employer.

What I'm looking for

I would like to get state sponsorship from Western Australia with a view to moving to Perth. As far as I understand it, your occupation needs to be listed on that state's SMP in order to qualify for state sponsorship.

I thought that SOL schedule 3 was for those who wanted to apply for independent skilled migration, rather than state sponsored?

Guest goodlife

Goochie

My statement regarding schedule 3 was in response to the fact you said Engineering Technologist wasn't on it. It's actually on both schedule 3 and 4. Schedule 3 is for a 175 and schedule 4 is for 176.

With regard to your skills and where you want to be:

As far as I can tell (and I'm no expert) your degree isn't accredited under any of the accords thought it's probably worth a call to the engineering council to check. This means you'll have to go down the CDR route. What occupation you nominate to be assessed against is the key. If you are desperate to go down the WA SMP route then I would wait for the SMP to be released before submitting a CDR. This will allow you to find an occupation listed on the SMP that relates to your skill set. Also, I would highly recommend ringing the skills assessment manager at Engineers Australia (Garth Jones) to have a chat about your chances of successfully achieving a positive skills assessment against your chosen occupation. If he isn't positive about your chances of being assessed against an occupation on the SMP then you will have to go to down the more general route of a 175 visa with something like engineering technologist.

Good luck with your plans

Guest abeersalik

Dear Goochie,

Now understand your situation.

Some mech engineers would better guide you for your occupational code in relation to your experience. Hope you find someone soon.

As suggested by 'goodlife', while waiting for WA SMP, you should start contacting EA for the right code for your occupation. By doing that you would be well prepared for your assessment once the WA SMP is out.

I regret for not being helpful for you.

Regards

Archived