new VIC SMP - where are you now

Guest Mongobear

Guest Mongobear
The best option (in my opinion, of course) is to go ahead with the 175 now and as and when you get Vic SS, you can lodge a new 176 app, but at least your 175 would be in and there is hardly a difference of 6-8 months in the processing time between 175 and 176 (and moreover DIAC has already confirmed that they will be able to clear all the Cat 2 and Cat 3 apps in the financial year 2011-12).

hello!

i was just wondering about how you can go about changing a 175 to 176 (wen u get SS), do u need to pay new fees if you submitting a 176 and will this work with new system come 1st july? cause we were debating if we should submit a 175 but thought the processing time would be too slow!

we r not sure what to do either?!

Heyho,

unfortunately you can no longer switch between 175 and 176. You would have to lodge a fresh application for a 176er which would have to be paper-based if the 1st application was lodged online. Fortunately a 175 does not take more than 12 months (rather less) and I think it's even going to be faster in the upcoming months due to the July changes. So if you're unsure then apply for a 175 and you'll most probably be in next year this time at the latest and you're free to choose where you settle.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best option (in my opinion, of course) is to go ahead with the 175 now and as and when you get Vic SS, you can lodge a new 176 app, ..

This is what I meant, as already explained by Captain Uli :)

armandra!

Guest HoutoMel
HoutoMel,

I'd say, please follow up with VETASSESS. As I said (and confirmed by you as well), DIAC doesn't have anything to do with the skills assessment process. They come into picture only after a visa is lodged. Imagine they even remotely being interested in (randomly scrutinising) skills assessment apps, which would be of no use since not all the applicants assessed positively by assessing bodies end up lodging a visa. That would be total waste of time and manpower.

Good luck with your skills assessment and subsequent endeavours!! :hug:

armandra!

I haven't been able to get connected with VETASSESS yet, but wouldn't you believe it--sure enough my employer reference got an email from DIAC in Washington today asking to confirm verification of my employment for my application! This at least confirms that DIAC does in fact have my file--complete with the employer reference letter that was addressed to VETASSESS.

The only thing is that I think that the DIAC employee misread the reference letter (which was printed on company letterhead, and signed by the reference and included his job title and name of the company) and thinks that my employment was with VETASSESS (instead of VETASSESS being the addressee), lol. I'm sure it a simple mis-reading of the letter, since there's gotta be a lot going on for the employees, but kinda funny nonetheless!

I haven't been able to get connected with VETASSESS yet, but wouldn't you believe it--sure enough my employer reference got an email from DIAC in Washington today asking to confirm verification of my employment for my application! This at least confirms that DIAC does in fact have my file--complete with the employer reference letter that was addressed to VETASSESS.

The only thing is that I think that the DIAC employee misread the reference letter (which was printed on company letterhead, and signed by the reference and included his job title and name of the company) and thinks that my employment was with VETASSESS (instead of VETASSESS being the addressee), lol. I'm sure it a simple mis-reading of the letter, since there's gotta be a lot going on for the employees, but kinda funny nonetheless!

Quite a story you got there. It's gonna go down in my books as one of those once-in-a-blue-moon skills assessment cases. :wink:

Good luck!! :hug:

armandra!

Guest skven
Hey Kven,

Whatever you do - good luck !

Uli

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!!

armandra!

Thankyou very much guys..

I am almost convinced to submit my 175 application, but just wokeup to see my granted Vic SS letter in my inbox. wow, what a great feeling.. waited exactly 5 months to get that..

I'm about to submit my 176 now

Thankyou guys.. your suggestions are invaluable :wubclub:

Guest seban123

Congrats kven..

when i was about to suggest you that both options are equally good, you have become blue..

Do Start on the PCC & Medicals..

Guest skven
Congrats kven..

when i was about to suggest you that both options are equally good, you have become blue..

Do Start on the PCC & Medicals..

Congrats and good luck! :hug:

armandra!

Thank you guys..

I just submitted my online application, after paying my fee and all, a new page came up saying "before you exit the application" and links to "checklist, attach documents, retrieve and print application, and payment receipt details". I have downloaded the application and payment receitp. just left with

However, i got plans to attach my documents later in 1 or 2 days, if i close this page now, will I be able to get these links later? I think I can get them, but just want to make sure with you guys..

thanks

Guest Mongobear
Thank you guys..

I just submitted my online application, after paying my fee and all, a new page came up saying "before you exit the application" and links to "checklist, attach documents, retrieve and print application, and payment receipt details". I have downloaded the application and payment receitp. just left with

However, i got plans to attach my documents later in 1 or 2 days, if i close this page now, will I be able to get these links later? I think I can get them, but just want to make sure with you guys..

thanks

Hey skven,

you can close the page. I have the link to upload the files.

Cheerio

Uli

Guest skven
Hey skven,

you can close the page. I have the link to upload the files.

Cheerio

Uli

Thanks Uli, you are cool :biggrin:

Could you please share the links.

Here are my details if anybody is interested..

Name : Kven

Date of SMP application: 29th Jan 2011

Trade/profession : 261312(Oracle)

Nationality : Indian

IELTS : 8.5/8.5/7/8

Visa type : 176

DIAC Priority : 2

Delays/further docs requested: requested commitment letter(friends in sydney,melboourne)

SS received : 29th June

comments:

Thankyou guys..

Guest Mongobear
Thanks Uli, you are cool :biggrin:

Could you please share the links.

Here are my details if anybody is interested..

Name : Kven

Date of SMP application: 29th Jan 2011

Trade/profession : 261312(Oracle)

Nationality : Indian

IELTS : 8.5/8.5/7/8

Visa type : 176

DIAC Priority : 2

Delays/further docs requested: requested commitment letter(friends in sydney,melboourne)

SS received : 29th June

comments:

Thankyou guys..

There you go buddy. You'll need your password to log on (the same you used for the application).

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/visas/attachment/start.do?attachType=VISA_APPLICATION&group=travel

Cheers

Uli

Guest Mongobear

I did some clean-up of the first page and removed some November-candidates that seem not to be active on the PIO any longer.

Only missing November-candidate is la la whose application is on hold as she is still waiting for her skills assessment. Good luck Larissa !

Guest skven
There you go buddy. You'll need your password to log on (the same you used for the application).

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/visas/attachment/start.do?attachType=VISA_APPLICATION&group=travel

Cheers

Uli

Thanks Uli, thankyou very much.

Glad I found this site in the last moment.. seems this thread got some interesting stories, well i'll take some time off in the weekend and go thru them..

Congrats on your Visa Uli, and Good Luck to others who are waiting. :wubclub:

will pinging you all if required, hope you wont mind :cute:

Thanks

Kven

I did some clean-up of the first page and removed some November-candidates that seem not to be active on the PIO any longer.

Only missing November-candidate is la la whose application is on hold as she is still waiting for her skills assessment. Good luck Larissa !

Hey Uli, you are doing great as usual. Also, can you please update my details on the first page? I actually changed my user name from "Oz or Not to Oz" to be "Oz 4 sure".

Your first page has a great value to me. And I would like to update my user name there. :cute: thanks :hug:

Guest Mongobear
Hey Uli, you are doing great as usual. Also, can you please update my details on the first page? I actually changed my user name to "Oz or Not to Oz" to be "Oz 4 sure".

Your first page has a great value for me. And I would like to update my user name there. :cute: thanks :hug:

Ok done, buddy :wink:

But, you need to note that the skills assessment you've with you now wouldn't most probably be enough for lodging a 175/176 visa post 1st July (this is strictly my conclusion) since DIAC has announced in the press release about the new points system that the skills assessment agencies would be responsible to determine the suitability of qualifications along with that of experience for the nominated occupation as points can be claimed for completing a bachelors/masters/PhD as well, which isn't the case with the old system. Just means you would have to go with getting a re-assessment from ACS and this would cost some significant amount of time (if not money).

armandra!

Hello, I am having a skills assessment done at the moment, if it gets completed before 1st July, does that mean its useless? I'm not sure I understand what's written above? Or are you referring to the old codes?

Sorry of I'm being thick.

PW.

Hello, I am having a skills assessment done at the moment, if it gets completed before 1st July, does that mean its useless? I'm not sure I understand what's written above? Or are you referring to the old codes?

Sorry of I'm being thick.

PW.

It was actually meant for those who're about to shoot off a new skills assessment app at this time of the year

and

for those who already have a positive skills assessment in hand and are eligible for 175, but decided to wait for the new SMPs to be announced post 1st July to get Cat 2 priority processing.

My guess is your case doesn't belong to any of the above two, hence let it slide for now.

armandra!

Guest smiley
Heyho,

unfortunately you can no longer switch between 175 and 176. You would have to lodge a fresh application for a 176er which would have to be paper-based if the 1st application was lodged online. Fortunately a 175 does not take more than 12 months (rather less) and I think it's even going to be faster in the upcoming months due to the July changes. So if you're unsure then apply for a 175 and you'll most probably be in next year this time at the latest and you're free to choose where you settle.

hiya,

we still havent gor vic SS and thinking of our options. we want visa ASAP but if we miss 1st july deadline, partner will have to do IELTS, so this will slow us down being able to lodge app. Just worried if we lodge 175 (we now have positive skills assessment) that it will take ages to process. just interested that you have siad processing time is rather less. I have noticed on other threads peole having been waitin years with 175 applications!

I know u dont have crystal ball! but just wondering how u know it would be muich faster or do you think the goal posts could change again?

thanks a mill,

a worried smiley!

Guest smiley

I am almost convinced to submit my 175 application, but just wokeup to see my granted Vic SS letter in my inbox. wow, what a great feeling.. waited exactly 5 months to get that..

wow what a relief - just in the nic of time!!

congratulations

hiya,

we still havent gor vic SS and thinking of our options. we want visa ASAP but if we miss 1st july deadline, partner will have to do IELTS, so this will slow us down being able to lodge app. Just worried if we lodge 175 (we now have positive skills assessment) that it will take ages to process. just interested that you have siad processing time is rather less. I have noticed on other threads peole having been waitin years with 175 applications!

I know u dont have crystal ball! but just wondering how u know it would be muich faster or do you think the goal posts could change again?

thanks a mill,

a worried smiley!

What Captain Uli meant is those who've lodged 175 apps with ANZSCO codes post 1st July, 2010 would all be processed by 30th June, 2012 (as per DIAC). Have a look here:

8zrawz.png

DIAC has confirmed that the processing priorities aren't changing this year (2011-12) and that they are expecting to process all Cat 2 and Cat 3 apps as well along with a few of Cat 4 apps this year.

Cat 2 apps are taking anywhere between 2 - 4 months now and Cat 3 would take 8 - 12.

armandra!

Guest Baazighar

Hey Congrats Mate!

Glad to hear that.. I also got my SS today(from NSW) and launched my app online.

Regards

Guest smiley
What Captain Uli meant is those who've lodged 175 apps with ANZSCO codes post 1st July, 2010 would all be processed by 30th June, 2012 (as per DIAC). Have a look here:

8zrawz.png

DIAC has confirmed that the processing priorities aren't changing this year (2011-12) and that they are expecting to process all Cat 2 and Cat 3 apps as well along with a few of Cat 4 apps this year.

Cat 2 apps are taking anywhere between 2 - 4 months now and Cat 3 would take 8 - 12.

armandra!

thanks for that. the link hasnt worked. but it seems if we did apply for 175 we woudl be in cat 4 and could be slow. prob best we wait!

im still a confused regarding the skill assessment(being really slow im sure!). it has been granted on 29th june and says valid for 2years (Vetassess profession). will this be valid after 1st july?

thanks for everyones help..

Guest Mongobear
thanks for that. the link hasnt worked. but it seems if we did apply for 175 we woudl be in cat 4 and could be slow. prob best we wait!

im still a confused regarding the skill assessment(being really slow im sure!). it has been granted on 29th june and says valid for 2years (Vetassess profession). will this be valid after 1st july?

thanks for everyones help..

Hey smiley,

you would be in cat3 ... so 8-12 months.

Cheers

Uli

Archived