new VIC SMP - where are you now

Guest Mongobear

Guest Mongobear
Looks like a brown-out for me. SS was declined--lack of demand. Best wishes to everyone else.

Hey HoutoMel,

Sorry for the bad news buddy. Like armandra already proposed, is there any chance to get a written confirmation from one of the employers that they would offer you a job? You'd be in in no time then (and wouldn't have to change your nickname :wink:)

Uli

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HoutoMel
Well, no one exactly knows for sure who forms the so called IP, but my personal opinion (or rather guess) is it is comprised of a group of Recruitment Agents and may be a few HR Managers thrown in. But, I don't have any evidence for believing the same, of course.

The best possible option (other than 175) is trying to get an offer letter from an employer in Vic and then re-applying for SS, which would be granted without any questions asked. How does this sound?

And what's with your skills assessment? Why on earth is it taking so long?? The normal turn around time for VETASSESS is 4 weeks and as far as I recall, it's been way beyond that in your case.

And yeah, did you, by any chance, take time out to Australise your CV (please don't tell me you just went ahead and sent in your CV which happened to be in US style format)? :err:

armandra!

Australise? I'd need an example of that :) But I sent the same one that I sent to my friend who works for one of my industry's main recruiting companies for feedback, and I didn't get any negative responses. And the clients that reviewed it with her seemed fine with it. It's a chronological format from most recent onward.

That's an interesting idea about an offer of employment...I may look into that. However, what's the benefit to the employer? Would it be that I am shouldering the cost of the visa? Would an employer wait long enough for the visa to come through? Wouldn't I need to wait 6 months before re-applying for SS?

As far as my VETASSESS goes, it's stuck somewhere in the netherrealm I think. It was apparently randomly selected to be sent to DIAC for verification. It's been with VETASSESS for almost 7 weeks now, but I've been hearing that it's taken them 12 weeks, 16 weeks, or longer to get a result back.

Guest Mongobear
Australise? I'd need an example of that :) But I sent the same one that I sent to my friend who works for one of my industry's main recruiting companies for feedback, and I didn't get any negative responses. And the clients that reviewed it with her seemed fine with it. It's a chronological format from most recent onward.

Armandra will give you some insight into this. She prepared my CV too and what should I say - touchdown OZ in April 2012 :biggrin:

That's an interesting idea about an offer of employment...I may look into that. However, what's the benefit to the employer? Would it be that I am shouldering the cost of the visa? Would an employer wait long enough for the visa to come through? Wouldn't I need to wait 6 months before re-applying for SS?

Yes Sir, exactly that. Most employers shy away going through the visa-process and paying the fees for it. The processing-time is of course a good reason not to get such a letter but there are people here on PIO who had their visa 1 months after putting in the application. So you could challenge that argument.

Are you serious? An example, now? Hmmmm ...

Well, it's not just about the chronological or reverse chronological format, but the way it is actually drafted.

US CVs are drafted keeping in view that the reviewer would be someone from the same line of work and hence, they have a lot of technical words/terms/phrases (or jargon) which make sense only to someone who has been around in that particular field of work for quite sometime.

Whereas, Australian CVs are drafted keeping in mind that the reviewer would be either a recruitment agent or a HR manager who, no surprises here, doesn't have any idea about what the applicant does and can't, in anyway, make sense of the jargon. All that they are interested in is getting a broader view of what the applicant does. It's like explaining your job to a Senior Manager or Senior Executive.

Captain Uli's already answered this.

As far as my VETASSESS goes, it's stuck somewhere in the netherrealm I think. It was apparently randomly selected to be sent to DIAC for verification. It's been with VETASSESS for almost 7 weeks now, but I've been hearing that it's taken them 12 weeks, 16 weeks, or longer to get a result back.

I had a lot of difficulty in believing my eyes, when you say VETASSESS sent your app to DIAC for verification. Never heard of any such thing. Are you using an agent? And if he/she told you this story, then the first thing I'd be doing is picking up the phone and calling VETASSESS to know what's really going on over there.

armandra!

Guest HoutoMel
Are you serious? An example, now? Hmmmm ...

Well, it's not just about the chronological or reverse chronological format, but the way it is actually drafted.

US CVs are drafted keeping in view that the reviewer would be someone from the same line of work and hence, they have a lot of technical words/terms/phrases (or jargon) which make sense only to someone who has been around in that particular field of work for quite sometime.

Whereas, Australian CVs are drafted keeping in mind that the reviewer would be either a recruitment agent or a HR manager who, no surprises here, doesn't have any idea about what the applicant does and can't, in anyway, make sense of the jargon. All that they are interested in is getting a broader view of what the applicant does. It's like explaining your job to a Senior Manager or Senior Executive.

Captain Uli's already answered this.

I had a lot of difficulty in believing my eyes, when you say VETASSESS sent your app to DIAC for verification. Never heard of any such thing. Are you using an agent? And if he/she told you this story, then the first thing I'd be doing is picking up the phone and calling VETASSESS to know what's really going on over there.

armandra!

Ah, I see now. I didn't k now that was 'Australising' as much as it was making it easier for a reader to know what you're about--which I (in my mind) did. Funny thing is that if you'll remember when I had tried to submit an updated version to Vic, I did go through it again and tried to simplify it further. Unfortunately, that was when they told me that my CV couldn't be updated since it was with IP.

Now for the VETAMESS--er, I mean VETASSESS issue...

What happened with them is that I had received an email from VETASSESS saying that my "application would require further review". Of course, I was curious (and concerned) and when I called for more information, I was told that it was randomly selected to be assessed by DIAC, that my file was now with DIAC, and that DIAC would be contacting my employer reference. They "couldn't" give me any more information than that.

So, still unsatisfied and still concerned, I called the DIAC North American office in Ottawa. They'd never heard of such a process and needed to contact the home base in Australia. Two weeks later I got an email from DIAC saying that they basically work with the skills assessment authorities to verify that the skills assessment authorities are being consistent and doing what they're supposed to do, and that DIAC doesn't interfere with the assessment authorities' internal procedures.

STILL YET unsatisfied, I emailed the manager over the professional assessments at VETASSESS a week ago explaining the issues and still haven't heard anything. She's due for a call from a Yank in a couple minutes.

Bottom line is that no one seems to have a straight story about what happened with my file. I hope to find out soon...

Oh, and I'm not using an agent. I'd be afraid to know how many more layers of complication that would add.

HoutoMel,

I'd say, please follow up with VETASSESS. As I said (and confirmed by you as well), DIAC doesn't have anything to do with the skills assessment process. They come into picture only after a visa is lodged. Imagine they even remotely being interested in (randomly scrutinising) skills assessment apps, which would be of no use since not all the applicants assessed positively by assessing bodies end up lodging a visa. That would be total waste of time and manpower.

Good luck with your skills assessment and subsequent endeavours!! :hug:

armandra!

Guest smiley

Houtmel- sorry to hear the news mate. Best of luck with your alternative options.

As regards CV format- my OH looked into this in quite some detail. Australian's have a different style of CV to UK format. The order of presentation is quite different.

All- we got an email from Vetassess this morning stating the following:

"Dear XXXXXXX,

RE: Skilled Migration Assessment

Your client’s case is currently assessed urgently.

If you want the result to be faxed, please provide a fax number to Vetassess.

If you applied online, you can view the assessment outcome by checking your application on our website, check your application.

If there are any changes to your contact details (name, address or telephone number), please inform VETASSESS as soon as possible. This will prevent communication delays."

Some bad use of English going on above but looks like we might have got a positive result. We are waiting to recieve a scanned copy of skills assessment.

Vic SMP- we got a request for Skills Assessment this morning aswell, stating that we have three months to submit it. Could you please update our status on this thread?? Ta.

What are people's thoughts on this? We have been asked for a statement of commitment and now a skills assessment, we reckon this is looking favourable, even if we don't make the current system.

Cheers

Guest Mongobear

Vic SMP- we got a request for Skills Assessment this morning aswell, stating that we have three months to submit it. Could you please update our status on this thread?? Ta.

What are people's thoughts on this? We have been asked for a statement of commitment and now a skills assessment, we reckon this is looking favourable, even if we don't make the current system.

Cheers

Hey smiley,

that is actually a very good sign. All people in this thread who have been asked for a skills assessment received their grant-notice only days after eventually sending it. So it seems you're almost there. :wubclub:

Fingers crossed

Uli

Guest smiley
Hey smiley,

that is actually a very good sign. All people in this thread who have been asked for a skills assessment received their grant-notice only days after eventually sending it. So it seems you're almost there. :wubclub:

Fingers crossed

Uli

Fingers crossed - we really want to get in before 1st july!!

Guest Mongobear
Fingers crossed - we really want to get in before 1st july!!

So you already got your skills assessment and forwarded it to VIC? If so, then my toes are crosses as well ! :wink:

Guest smiley

Unfortunately not- we are now waiting for Vetassess to send us a scanned copy. We advised them four times in the past to send us a scanned copy of the result but they simply do not listen!!! Frustrating given the immediate timescales!!

We would need to have a confirmation of SS from Vic by 29 latest, given the time difference. If we can get the skills assessment in to Vic before close of business (Oz time) tomorrow, we may be in with a chance but for them to turn it around in a day is a huge expectation!!

I presume that once Vic see the positive skills assessment, all they need to do is confirm SS!?! (Hopefully)

I presume that once Vic see the positive skills assessment, all they need to do is confirm SS!?! (Hopefully)

Hope this would be the case with you and I guess they have a process in place wherein someone needs to finally authorise the SS approval (which actually is the reason for Vic taking a couple of days to turn around). Just keep the 176 online app filled in already with every detail included.

Good luck!!! :hug:

armandra!

Guest smiley
Hope this would be the case with you and I guess they have a process in place wherein someone needs to finally authorise the SS approval (which actually is the reason for Vic taking a couple of days to turn around). Just keep the 176 online app filled in already with every detail included.

Good luck!!! :hug:

armandra!

thanks we need all the luck we can get!!

yep we already to go with 176 online app!!

Guest JoeyCT
So you already got your skills assessment and forwarded it to VIC? If so, then my toes are crosses as well ! :wink:

Hi All,

We got WA sponsorship in 2 days :biggrin: Now we need to try get excited about moving to Perth rather than Melbourne.

Am I correct in saying that I need to lodge and pay for 176 before 1 July? Can I upload docs after 1 July?

Guest HighPeakJulie
Hi All,

We got WA sponsorship in 2 days :biggrin: Now we need to try get excited about moving to Perth rather than Melbourne.

Am I correct in saying that I need to lodge and pay for 176 before 1 July? Can I upload docs after 1 July?

Congratulations - 2 days!!! (was it the weekend!!!)

We completed the application and paid for our 176 on Sunday. It doesn't take too long as the documents don't need to be uploaded until after the application is submitted. I think you then have 28 days to upload the documents according to others on the forum (we haven't received our receipt email with these instrctions on yet - although we have got our TRN number).

Guest skven

Hi all,

I guess I found the right forum at the right time, hope somebody can me help me.

I'm in a tough situation and not able to take a decision, need your opinions which may help me to think wisely.. here is my situation..

I applied for Victoria State Sponsorship on 29th Jan, and I'm still waiting for their decision(5 months completed). I have also provided valid ACS(with new ANZSCO code ie 261312), and ielts at the time of application. Last week when I enquired, they replied saying decision is yet to be taken.

I filled my online 176 application (which is ready to submit) with an assumption that I may get Vic State Sponsorship anytime, I'm not sure if i can wait anymore or not. My question is, if I get Sponsorship from Vic after 1st July, and I apply for 176 after 1st July, will my application be considered under priority 2? or do I need to wait again for new SMP of Vic is released.

Also, I am currently eligible for 175 visa, I would also be eligible for 175 visa after 10th Aug 2011 (as I will be finishing 5 years experience on 10th Aug) under new points system. So what do you guys think, would it be better to wait for a decision from Vic, or should I launch 175 now, or can I take a chance and wait till 10th August?

Any opinion is highly appreciated, I will consider all your opinions before taking a decision.

Thanks for reading

Kven

PS: Uli, Armandra, found your replies are so helpful. Appreciate your efforts.

Guest Mongobear
Hi All,

Great news ! Hurry up with lodging the application. You then have 28 days to submit all documents so still enough time. There's a portal to do that. You need to provide colored scans of all docs.

Good luck with the 176 ! :wubclub::wubclub::wubclub:

:hug:

Uli

Guest Mongobear

Hey Kven,

it doesn't matter if you receive the sponsorship before or after the 1st of July. The sponsorship will also be valid for post July 176 applications. Just be prepared to pay 15% more to the DIAC then. New priority regulations have not yet been released but even if they are going to change them, they will most likely work in your favor so you shouldn't be worried about that.

So whether to apply for a 175 now or wait for a sponsorship is up to you in the end. I'd expect a 175 to be finished within 12 months and a 176 within 1-4 months. So if you have some time and want to save money, then go for the 175 right now. If not, than hope for the VIC-SS to come through and apply for a 176 later on. Please also keep in mind that VIC's refusal-rate for ICT-guys is at approx. 70%. They like guys with banking-experience and those working in big, multinational companies.

Whatever you do - good luck !

Uli

Hi all,

I guess I found the right forum at the right time, hope somebody can me help me.

I'm in a tough situation and not able to take a decision, need your opinions which may help me to think wisely.. here is my situation..

I applied for Victoria State Sponsorship on 29th Jan, and I'm still waiting for their decision(5 months completed). I have also provided valid ACS(with new ANZSCO code ie 261312), and ielts at the time of application. Last week when I enquired, they replied saying decision is yet to be taken.

I filled my online 176 application (which is ready to submit) with an assumption that I may get Vic State Sponsorship anytime, I'm not sure if i can wait anymore or not. My question is, if I get Sponsorship from Vic after 1st July, and I apply for 176 after 1st July, will my application be considered under priority 2? or do I need to wait again for new SMP of Vic is released.

Also, I am currently eligible for 175 visa, I would also be eligible for 175 visa after 10th Aug 2011 (as I will be finishing 5 years experience on 10th Aug) under new points system. So what do you guys think, would it be better to wait for a decision from Vic, or should I launch 175 now, or can I take a chance and wait till 10th August?

Any opinion is highly appreciated, I will consider all your opinions before taking a decision.

Thanks for reading

Kven

PS: Uli, Armandra, found your replies are so helpful. Appreciate your efforts.

My question is, if I get Sponsorship from Vic after 1st July, and I apply for 176 after 1st July, will my application be considered under priority 2? or do I need to wait again for new SMP of Vic is released.

If you happen to get your Vic SS approved after 1st July, then your app would be processed under the new points system coming into effect from 1st July, 2011 on. Do you qualify under the new points system?

Your app would obviously be processed under priority 2 since the processing priorities are not changing post 1st July (confirmed by DIAC in a memo sent to MARA registered agents recently).

But, you need to note that the skills assessment you've with you now wouldn't most probably be enough for lodging a 175/176 visa post 1st July (this is strictly my conclusion) since DIAC has announced in the press release about the new points system that the skills assessment agencies would be responsible to determine the suitability of qualifications along with that of experience for the nominated occupation as points can be claimed for completing a bachelors/masters/PhD as well, which isn't the case with the old system. Just means you would have to go with getting a re-assessment from ACS and this would cost some significant amount of time (if not money).

The best option (in my opinion, of course) is to go ahead with the 175 now and as and when you get Vic SS, you can lodge a new 176 app, but at least your 175 would be in and there is hardly a difference of 6-8 months in the processing time between 175 and 176 (and moreover DIAC has already confirmed that they will be able to clear all the Cat 2 and Cat 3 apps in the financial year 2011-12).

Take a pick, ball's in your court now.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!!

armandra!

Guest JoeyCT
Great news ! Hurry up with lodging the application. You then have 28 days to submit all documents so still enough time. There's a portal to do that. You need to provide colored scans of all docs.

Good luck with the 176 ! :wubclub::wubclub::wubclub:

:hug:

Uli

Thank you Uli.

We are still waiting for our proper marriage certificate, as we were married in Feb, and everything here takes a long time to get from home affairs! It's frightening!!

I have declarations and proof that we have been a couple for three years. Can I lodge and submit these documents in the meantime. If the marriage cerificate is not through in 28 days will our visa be denied or would they wait for us to receive the unabridged certificate?

Guest Mongobear
Thank you Uli.

We are still waiting for our proper marriage certificate, as we were married in Feb, and everything here takes a long time to get from home affairs! It's frightening!!

I have declarations and proof that we have been a couple for three years. Can I lodge and submit these documents in the meantime. If the marriage cerificate is not through in 28 days will our visa be denied or would they wait for us to receive the unabridged certificate?

Hey JoeyCT,

don't worry about the marriage certificate. As long as you can prove that you applied for it (receipt), the DIAC will be fine and give you the time to get hold of it.

Uli

Guest JoeyCT
Hey JoeyCT,

don't worry about the marriage certificate. As long as you can prove that you applied for it (receipt), the DIAC will be fine and give you the time to get hold of it.

Uli

Thank you Uli

You have been so helpful to us since I joined Pomz in Oz. :hug:

One more question please...

I have an SA and UK passport, can I submit the details of either as my passport details. My SA passport expires in 10 months time, and so I need to apply for a new one which takes a long time to get - 6 - 8 weeks.

Guest Mongobear

I have an SA and UK passport, can I submit the details of either as my passport details. My SA passport expires in 10 months time, and so I need to apply for a new one which takes a long time to get - 6 - 8 weeks.

Hi,

a new passport is not a big deal. Once you have it (either before or after the grant) send one of these to the DIAC and they'll change it in their systems (just copied it from my grant-letter):

Form 929 Change of address and/or passport details

● Form 1022 Notification of changes in circumstances

● Form 1023 Notification of incorrect answer(s)

● Form 1193 Communicating by e-mail with the departmen

Cheerio

Uli

Guest smiley

The best option (in my opinion, of course) is to go ahead with the 175 now and as and when you get Vic SS, you can lodge a new 176 app, but at least your 175 would be in and there is hardly a difference of 6-8 months in the processing time between 175 and 176 (and moreover DIAC has already confirmed that they will be able to clear all the Cat 2 and Cat 3 apps in the financial year 2011-12).

hello!

i was just wondering about how you can go about changing a 175 to 176 (wen u get SS), do u need to pay new fees if you submitting a 176 and will this work with new system come 1st july? cause we were debating if we should submit a 175 but thought the processing time would be too slow!

we r not sure what to do either?!

Archived