What average Australian thinks when you mention immigration...

Guest stayer

I think the way you discuss boat people and taint them all with terrorism is not helpful. If your issue, for example, is that you think some are Tamils, and you come from the place that was against the Tamils and brands them terrorists, then please be specific.

Genuine boat people deserve some balance, compassion and consideration when we talk about them - just as you would like going through your frustrating immigration process.

The article refers to Villawood Detention Centre where people are held for many immigration issues with many not being boat people.

Guest Gollywobbler
Villawood detention centre detainees light fires

Who is behind this heavy brainwashing? I asked a number of locals and they had no idea about that disaster in immigration process for honest people whom can be a benefit to Australia. Why is so much attention on boat people? Is it to cover GSM?

Hi Stayer

Thanks for the article. I live in the UK and I have never picked up a copy of the SMH when I've been in Oz. Have the SMH made the article into their headline today? If so, does the rest of the paper suggest that they are short of other news to report?

The fires seem to be pretty minor and as for the roof, I have no idea why they haven't done something to prevent people from climbing on to it. From here in the UK it is turning into a joke, as in, "Do you spend your time inside the building at Villawood or do you spend most of it on the roof of the place?" Surely the roof is not one of the fire escapes from the building?

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
I think Aus government and greens together mistreating genuine refugees and same time welcoming terrorists!!!

Hi Lankan

Given your own utter frustration at the way Evans seems to have turned the GSM visa program into a chaotic state, I can well understand your irritation that the newspapers and the Government seem to be more interested in the detention centres than in anything which is relevant to you.

Cheers

Gill

Villawood detention centre detainees light fires

Who is behind this heavy brainwashing? I asked a number of locals and they had no idea about that disaster in immigration process for honest people whom can be a benefit to Australia. Why is so much attention on boat people? Is it to cover GSM?

To answer the question "Why is so much attention on boat people?" I can give you some background as I see it.

The previous Liberal National Party coalition under John Howard moved that party from the moderate right to the more extreme right of politics. In the decades before John Howard managed to become prime minster he was best known for his anti asian immigration speeches. As you may know, as it happens all around the world, as moderate right wing politicians move towards the more extreme right (or left) immigration often becomes one of their core issues. eg for an extreme example see the BNP.

They often concentrate on the immigration of people who are of a different background to themselves. Almost all boat people are from a non European background so the issue plays very nicely with the more extreme elements of the party and its supporters. They then search for "reasons" why boat people are in the wrong to mask their real objection to them and to provide them with "legitimate" reasons that can be played out publicly.

Of course many of the decent people in the LNP party and its supporters are still concerned with the issue for genuine non racial reasons but the hard core is not.

Because this hard core got more influence under Howard the issue became one of the key issues the party used throughout its years in power (and is still using). It used it to scare people to get elected and it caused a lot of fractions in Australian society. The Labor party since getting into power has read the political climate created by those years and has maintained a semblance of that hard line for political purposes to avoid being devoured by the Liberal/Nationals and the public on this issue.

Many of those of a conservative bent will disagree with me but that is a simplistic version of how I watched it play out.

I grew up in Australia and only left 3 years ago at age 25. Immigration was never something I had any interest in so didn't deliberately follow the news or read any articles, but the only topics I ever inadvertently heard about were boat people and detention centres. I think the Australian media play a very big part in what your 'Average Australian' will think of when you mention immigration.

Near where I worked there is a very large migrant population. And I'd fairly guess they were mostly refugees. What bothered me was that during the 7 years I worked in that location the whole area deteriorated. And by that I mean it became unsafe. It seemed that a lot of the problems (violence, gangs, etc) that had caused them to leave their own country had simply followed them. They made no effort to integrate into Australian Society. Many of the over 40s did not speak a word of English, yet they all had Medicare cards and Health Care cards (you have to be in the country more than 2 years to qualify for these).

So, considering myself an 'Average Australian' when I heard the word 'Immigration' these are the sorts of things that came to my mind. And I would have been all for slashing immigration quotas because of what or who I percieved a migrant to be.

Having said all that, now my partner and I are looking to move back to Australia and he will be the migrant and I have a much, much greater understanding of all the skilled hopeful migrants and the plight of all on this website.

Call me naive (I've been called worse!) but there you have it. I never before knew the ratios of skilled / family / refugee migrants. The only ones I had any awareness of were the refugees.

Near where I worked there is a very large migrant population. And I'd fairly guess they were mostly refugees. What bothered me was that during the 7 years I worked in that location the whole area deteriorated. And by that I mean it became unsafe. It seemed that a lot of the problems (violence, gangs, etc) that had caused them to leave their own country had simply followed them. They made no effort to integrate into Australian Society. Many of the over 40s did not speak a word of English, yet they all had Medicare cards and Health Care cards (you have to be in the country more than 2 years to qualify for these).

Call me naive (I've been called worse!) but there you have it. I never before knew the ratios of skilled / family / refugee migrants. The only ones I had any awareness of were the refugees.

I think these sorts of things are worth discussing...how we can improve integration, get the numbers right etc.....I do think it is likely that very few would have been boat people though. As stayer said, the over emphasis on boat people sucks all oxygen away from any sensible discussion about other immigration topics.

Guest TheStig
In the decades before John Howard managed to become prime minster he was best known for his anti asian immigration speeches.

Are you implying that John Howard was a racist? Maybe you have mistaken him for Pauline 'White-Australia' Hanson whos was more famous for her 'white australia' speeches. If any John Howard had stringent policies against refugees and many may 'perceive' this as being racist again non-european immigrants. Back in the days when the TVPs were introduced, so many slammed the Liberals as ruthless, disgusting, unfair etc but in actual fact by looking back at the historic data, it DID in fact stop all those boat people from coming to Australian shores. So does that mean there were NO refugees that came in to Asutralia to seek aslyum when the Liberals were in power? Absolutely not, there was still a steady flow of asylum seekers but they were screened throughly before being let in. That helped to weed out all the terrorists and 'fakes asylum seekers'. But look at the situation now, in the false pretense of compassion, Labour stupidly opened all doors for asylum seekers and look at the situation now, a boat with 60-70 boat people every other day? Better still bring a child on board and you get to skip the detention centers and get onshore even quicker! If I was a citizen, I'd be really worried, how can one be so sure that these guys are not terrorists or african militia trying to escape prosecution in thehome countries. There was an instance of an Afgan taliban fighter trying to seek aslyum because he didn't want to get prosecuted in his home country. So what do they do, come in one by one and setup base here and breed a new group of people never seen here. I am sure there are many genuine asylum seekers around and they do deserve to be treated with compassion and have a right to lead a peaceful life but the weeding process from the genuine from fakes are thrown out the window. Bottomline - Labout screwed it up big time and are struggling to fix the issue. Will this issue be ever fixed? Maybe.. but only when the Australian people wake up and throw them out of power.

Guest newguy2010

I don't think any individual average Australian cares. Look at the medias: newspapers, news website. All they are talking about is refugees and asylum seekers, camps and I believe what shoveover said is true.

Are you implying that John Howard was a racist? Maybe you have mistaken him for Pauline 'White-Australia' Hanson whos was more famous for her 'white australia' speeches. If any John Howard had stringent policies against refugees and many may 'perceive' this as being racist again non-european immigrants. Back in the days when the TVPs were introduced, so many slammed the Liberals as ruthless, disgusting, unfair etc but in actual fact by looking back at the historic data, it DID in fact stop all those boat people from coming to Australian shores. So does that mean there were NO refugees that came in to Asutralia to seek aslyum when the Liberals were in power? Absolutely not, there was still a steady flow of asylum seekers but they were screened throughly before being let in. That helped to weed out all the terrorists and 'fakes asylum seekers'. But look at the situation now, in the false pretense of compassion, Labour stupidly opened all doors for asylum seekers and look at the situation now, a boat with 60-70 boat people every other day? Better still bring a child on board and you get to skip the detention centers and get onshore even quicker! If I was a citizen, I'd be really worried, how can one be so sure that these guys are not terrorists or african militia trying to escape prosecution in thehome countries. There was an instance of an Afgan taliban fighter trying to seek aslyum because he didn't want to get prosecuted in his home country. So what do they do, come in one by one and setup base here and breed a new group of people never seen here. I am sure there are many genuine asylum seekers around and they do deserve to be treated with compassion and have a right to lead a peaceful life but the weeding process from the genuine from fakes are thrown out the window. Bottomline - Labout screwed it up big time and are struggling to fix the issue. Will this issue be ever fixed? Maybe.. but only when the Australian people wake up and throw them out of power.

If this was true I would be concerned. But I do not believe it was or is. In John Howard's day he did not stop the asylum seekers...he just stopped counting them by moving them offshore to another country to do the processing. He then let 90+% of them in anyway as they were found to be genuine. Around the same as now. They vetted them then and they are vetting them now. Why can this process not be done without all the hysteria so we can all have a sensible conversation about all immigration issues instead of going crazy about a minor part of the whole immigration programme and ignoring the rest.

John Howard took on board what Aussies were thinking after Pauline Hanson's speech in parliament. I personally do not think worrying about who comes to Australia is a bad thing. I think most Aussies are like me and want people who are prepared to be Australian and stop saying "I am English,Indian, Italian, Greek, Lebanese. Stop borrowing the country and taking embrace and support and barrack for Australia. Otherwise why bother to come.

I speak astrain so people do not know where I come from and are surprised when and if they find out.

John Howard took on board what Aussies were thinking after Pauline Hanson's speech in parliament. I personally do not think worrying about who comes to Australia is a bad thing. I think most Aussies are like me and want people who are prepared to be Australian and stop saying "I am English,Indian, Italian, Greek, Lebanese. Stop borrowing the country and taking embrace and support and barrack for Australia. Otherwise why bother to come.

I speak astrain so people do not know where I come from and are surprised when and if they find out.

I don't think many people would disagree with you that vetting who comes is a legitimate exercise. Just wish it could be done without whipping up the hysteria to demonise the most down trodden immigrants while ignoring actually discussing anything of worth. It all gets turned into a slanging match for political purposes.

Good idea if we toned down the journos, they whip eveything into a frenzy. Tne other day when my friend's brother was rescued they ndrove her mad and because I sent stuff for her me too. Sometimes freedom of speech goes a little too far too the detriment of doing good :idea:

Guest TheStig
If this was true I would be concerned. But I do not believe it was or is. In John Howard's day he did not stop the asylum seekers...he just stopped counting them by moving them offshore to another country to do the processing. He then let 90+% of them in anyway as they were found to be genuine. Around the same as now. They vetted them then and they are vetting them now. Why can this process not be done without all the hysteria so we can all have a sensible conversation about all immigration issues instead of going crazy about a minor part of the whole immigration programme and ignoring the rest.

There is a massive difference of being processed offshore and onshore. In the past aslyum seekers were processed offhore then brought in if found to be genuine. Now, they are allowed into the country to stay whilst being process. Count the number of boats arrive to Australia (+diverted to offshore processing centers) compared to the numbers arriving now and the difference will be obvious.

I'm sure an overflowing detention center and spending another $170m on 2 new detention centers and increased violence in centers are just very, very minor issues in the system.

Guest Lankan1
I grew up in Australia and only left 3 years ago at age 25. Immigration was never something I had any interest in so didn't deliberately follow the news or read any articles, but the only topics I ever inadvertently heard about were boat people and detention centres. I think the Australian media play a very big part in what your 'Average Australian' will think of when you mention immigration.

So, considering myself an 'Average Australian' when I heard the word 'Immigration' these are the sorts of things that came to my mind. And I would have been all for slashing immigration quotas because of what or who I percieved a migrant to be.

Having said all that, now my partner and I are looking to move back to Australia and he will be the migrant and I have a much, much greater understanding of all the skilled hopeful migrants and the plight of all on this website.

Very true, that's what happen when any nation welcome terrorists instead of what their economy demand! This is not humanitarian efforts this is purely a long run Labor + Green election propaganda. End of the day lack of English literacy or lack of knowledge on Australian culture doesn't really matter on ticking the ballot paper in some means :biglaugh: Way to go Australia!

They are Asylum seekers one day and now criminals the next, really these people must be brain dead. Why would they expect asylum if they are prepared to burn the property of Australia just because they cant get their own way.

Time the government went in and cracked a few skulls.

Guest Alejandro
They are Asylum seekers one day and now criminals the next, really these people must be brain dead. Why would they expect asylum if they are prepared to burn the property of Australia just because they cant get their own way.

Time the government went in and cracked a few skulls.

Regretfully, I agree. But the reality is that they won't dare to. Even if they do, they will do so behind grey walls.

The whole situation confirms that the concept of detention is really damned. Detention centres are nothing short of 'sicko' breeding factories.

If you've met anyone out of a detention facility, you'll feel a strong urge to walk away immediately. Why? I can't explain.

May be it's the rage and pain that I see in their eyes. It's almost contagious.

Oh well. That's me.

Guest Alejandro

Sorry. Just kidding.

It does happen sometimes though. Then again, it doesn't take take much to scare someone. For instance, my colleague got scared once since I was unconsciously staring at her. True story. We had a laugh about it afterwards thankfully.

Guest langhoatu81

To anyone who blames the refugees or boat people.. if you are a GSM applicant, you are feeling frustrated, irritated...what would you think the boat people in the detention centre would feel.. probably thousand times more extreme than your feeling mates..so stop blaming them..just be patient waiting for your turn.

Very true, that's what happen when any nation welcome terrorists instead of what their economy demand! This is not humanitarian efforts this is purely a long run Labor + Green election propaganda. End of the day lack of English literacy or lack of knowledge on Australian culture doesn't really matter on ticking the ballot paper in some means :biglaugh: Way to go Australia!

Wow, do all the Labor members of parliament and the one Green member really want to welcome terrorists as part of a propaganda campaign so those terrorists tick the ballot paper for them. I guess they are importing extra terrorists to make sure they win the election. Are they putting them in marginal electorates to win seats. To be fair to the numbers do the greens just get one terrorist voting for them and Labor get the rest? How did they convince the independent former National Party members to go along with this terrorist propaganda plan? Who would have thought that Australia was basing all its migration policies around internal Sri Lankan politics. Who would have known, those sneaky buggers, do tell us more? :wacko::laugh:

Guest Lankan1
To anyone who blames the refugees or boat people.. if you are a GSM applicant, you are feeling frustrated, irritated...what would you think the boat people in the detention centre would feel.. probably thousand times more extreme than your feeling mates..so stop blaming them..just be patient waiting for your turn.

We are feeling frustrated as we spend dollars, they feel frustrated as they pay the same to people smugglers to get them into the land without any identification. End of the day no difference.. Its just that to the world FBI, CIA or what ever we are individuals without criminal records...

But I really doubt about boat people trespassing the land without any identity!!! If they identify themselves, whole world will know who they are!!!

Guest Lankan1
Wow, do all the Labor members of parliament and the one Green member really want to welcome terrorists as part of a propaganda campaign so those terrorists tick the ballot paper for them. I guess they are importing extra terrorists to make sure they win the election. Are they putting them in marginal electorates to win seats. To be fair to the numbers do the greens just get one terrorist voting for them and Labor get the rest? How did they convince the independent former National Party members to go along with this terrorist propaganda plan? Who would have thought that Australia was basing all its migration policies around internal Sri Lankan politics. Who would have known, those sneaky buggers, do tell us more? :wacko::laugh:

Hellow fish!!! I don't get to see you in other threads!!! When ever something to do with refugees you are in!! Remember the previous thread we were playing the roles of SL government & Tamil diaspora :mask:

For your above list of arguments!!! Its simply your wish is their command :cool: there's no need to express regarding the convincing power in politics.. so readers know that politicians will do anything to retain the power!!! :wink:

My fivepenneth , when i see refugees , i thgink of persecution beatings ,poor buggers starving ,these boat people are fit as lops , funny thing big hoo har because its at villawood on the east ,when you lot dont give a flkying when Wa is taking the brunt , if they are refugees and desparate then to live any where in another country must be the goal . Why then do they travelfrom Indonesia ( a country away from their own ) to Australia . There are remote areas that need people and can take people esp in WA put them there , this willmean the authorities will have to provide servivces such as health etc to the area so the people living there can access the services as well as the freeloaders

Archived