Thinking of going back after 19 years

Guest Bigben

Hello everyone, I need some advice as I don't know where to start, I am thinking of going back after being here for 19 years, but what do I actually need to do? I have both a British and Aussie passport, what I really need to know is who do I need to inform? Do I have to complete paper work? l remember the red tape in trying to get here! Or do I just rock up at Heathrow and announce I'm back? I have tried to call the British consulate, but can't get to speak with a real person, just keep pressing buttons on the phone going round in circles.

I think I have the shipping thing sorted, furniture done this before a few times ( don't ask) but also might want to take a car back, so is that likely to be a problem? ie customs and duty etc. So any advice re best movers with cars would be great.

Cheers bigben

hey bigben,

as a british and aussie passport holder, you don't have to tell anyone!

good luck with the move back o the uk mate.

Guest famousfive

good luck with the move.You may want to see what arrangements can be made re superanuation etc Do you mind me asking what makes you want to return after such a long stint in oz?

Guest AussieGold

As others have posted, looks like you can just rock up..... i just wanted to wish you well on the move. i hope your time here has been a pleasant one.

Peace, hapiness and well wishes to you and yours.

AG

good luck with the move.You may want to see what arrangements can be made re superanuation etc Do you mind me asking what makes you want to return after such a long stint in oz?

Hi FF I am not the OP but am also returning after a similar amount of time in NZ and Oz. Its a good time to return in many ways...... Exchange rate is great, house price high here, house prices getting lower there. Additionally my kids have never spent much time with their family apart from the occasional visit every 1-2 years so as a family we thought now or never.

Life is good here although I sometimes feel adrift in a sea of beige its just not as exciting as the UK. Saying that I realise that its not perfect in the UK and in addition to the cold weather and grey skies the country has a few years of cuts ahead of it.

I am looking forward to the great many things to do in the UK and the proximity of Europe and the East coast of the US an additional pull.

Perhaps I will land at Heathrow and do a U turn but no use worrying about it life is short...

Pete

Guest sunnyday
Hi FF I am not the OP but am also returning after a similar amount of time in NZ and Oz. Its a good time to return in many ways...... Exchange rate is great, house price high here, house prices getting lower there. Additionally my kids have never spent much time with their family apart from the occasional visit every 1-2 years so as a family we thought now or never.

Life is good here although I sometimes feel adrift in a sea of beige its just not as exciting as the UK. Saying that I realise that its not perfect in the UK and in addition to the cold weather and grey skies the country has a few years of cuts ahead of it.

I am looking forward to the great many things to do in the UK and the proximity of Europe and the East coast of the US an additional pull.

Perhaps I will land at Heathrow and do a U turn but no use worrying about it life is short...

Pete

Good and bad points to both countries Pete, wherever you are make the most of whats on offer, do that and its all good!!

Best of luck Pete and also to the OP :wubclub:

Some v good reasons to return at this time but don't forget that that the UK is in recession at the moment so don't forget to read about all the negitives about living in the UK (a few can be found in the "more good news" thread:wacko:.

In preparation i suggest you:

• Move into your garage to get used to cramped living conditions
  • Get your friends to dress up in hoodies and mug you whenever you leave your house (garage)
  • Throw a bucket of water over yourself to simulate rain every time you go out
  • watch episodes of east enders because everyone in the UK is depressed and walks around with a long face
  • Watch films such as Harry Brown and clockwork orange to accustom your self for the UKs culture.

Just kidding OP but seriously after 19years things will have changed quite a bit but if you take it easy and take time to settle back in you'll be fine.

Good luck in your return to a country with the friendliest people, great culture, fantastic food, beautiful scenery and a vibrant and exciting atmosphere.

:wubclub:

Hello everyone, I need some advice as I don't know where to start, I am thinking of going back after being here for 19 years, but what do I actually need to do? I have both a British and Aussie passport, what I really need to know is who do I need to inform? Do I have to complete paper work? l remember the red tape in trying to get here! Or do I just rock up at Heathrow and announce I'm back? I have tried to call the British consulate, but can't get to speak with a real person, just keep pressing buttons on the phone going round in circles.

I think I have the shipping thing sorted, furniture done this before a few times ( don't ask) but also might want to take a car back, so is that likely to be a problem? ie customs and duty etc. So any advice re best movers with cars would be great.

Cheers bigben

Hi,

I'm not sure if I can help but went through the same thing 5 years ago after living in Oz for 18 years.

If both passports are up to date then you'll have no problems with entering and leaving either country.

Not sure what your situation would be once you return but incase you were considering doing it on a tight budget or if you have young children there are a couple of things we found out on our return.

Once you get to the UK it would be a good idea to register with the various government departments to establish yourself as having the UK your place of permanent residence before applying for any tax credits or benefits should you need them.

From what I remember if you apply before becoming verified as having the UK as a permanent place of residence some payments may not paid in full for many months.

If you are going to rent on your return in some areas of the UK rental properties are not always easy to come by and many rentals are buy to lets they often have restrictions placed on them regarding the employment status of the prospective tenants. Some landlords will not let to families with young children, at least that is the case hear in the South West. Having said this the rental market has improved from a tenants point of view as there seem to be more properties available now.

It might be worth keeping the fact that you are dual citizen to yourself should, in the highly unlikely event, you find yourself in dire straits, councils or government departments may try and argue that you are the responsibility of the Australian government and not the UK.

I'm pretty sure you can exchange your Australian drivers license for a UK one without the need for taking driving tests.

Also it would help to get yourself on the electoral roll as quickly as possible as this will help with opening bank accounts and establishing the beginnings of a credit rating.

If you are renting in Australia and are planning on renting in the UK it would be worth getting a reference from your landlord as this may help in securing a rental home since you would not have any recent references from the UK.

Hopefully you are fortunate enough that non of the above actually applies but if not, it may be of help.

Good luck with your return and I hope it all goes well for you.

wildbriz

some good advice above from wildbritz.

As soon as you have a base get some utillity bills with your name on them, you need these for lots of things like setting up your local GP.

get a contract mobile phone and start getting a credit rating...

My out of date, and possibly incorrect, information is that you should take yourself off the Australian electoral roll because:

1. you don't want a fine :)

2. it convinces the Aussie tax dept that you are no longer a resident (a lot of Aussies move to the UK for a few years and are still treated as residents for tax purposes I think)

Hello again, many thanks for all of your replies, very helpful and useful information,

The reason for my return is plain and simple homesickness, I have enjoyed my time being here, and very glad I came over when I did.

cheers bigben

• 1 month later...

I'm considering the same after 19 years.. My main concern is my super all of which is here. How do I go taking it back with me? Have you thought about that as I'm sure it will be a mjor stumbling block. I can't find any definite answers anywhere

Guest chris955

I can't see it being a major stumbling block or at least it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I know you can transfer pensions from the UK so I have no doubt you can it in reverse.

I can't see it being a major stumbling block or at least it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I know you can transfer pensions from the UK so I have no doubt you can it in reverse.

Actually, the ATO would disagree with you there - not until you have reached preservation age at least in which case you can take it out and do what the heck you like with it but if you are under 60 (I am pretty sure it is tax free once you hit 60) you are stymied. If you are a permanent resident/citizen then they reckon that you should be providing for your own retirement and not depending on Centrelink so they wont let you take it away.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Susannagozzano

Good on you Ben, after 15 years I am also thinking of going back and looking for help to do so... Any suggestions?:chatterbox:

Archived