Rental Will It Ever Feel Like Home?

Guest EM&M

Hi All,

We have been discussing this issue. I have never been in a rental, as we have not sold our house we are in the position were we will have to rent in Oz as we will have no capital to buy. Will it ever feel like home?? Am I going to panic incase the kids spill something etc?

I am concerned about moving my 3 year old from pillar to post in rentals but also I wondered if anyone can advise me if there are restrictions on things like hanging pictures in rentals? My little on has decided that she would like a fairy bedspread in her new bedroom (spent all day trawling places to fond one) and I obviouly know you cant repaint etc but was hoping that could dress up her room with pics etc.

I know I am worrying about stupid things at the moment!!! But think im going crackers :goofy:

Em x

Guest The Baggo's

Hi Em, we feel exactly the same. We have never rented but think its the sensible option. I have heard that some landlords wont allow satellite dishes etc. so maybe they are quite strict over there! We are shipping stuff over so hopefully that will make it feel a bit more homely! Nat x

We rented for 12 weeks - furnished rental. After the first few weeks (when it felt like I was in a holiday home) I did feel a bit OTT with the kids and the cat - however I think it was me that needed to relax rather than the kids/cat doing anything. I'm sure had we stayed longer or had our own stuff around us it may have felt differently.

Ali

Guest Scarletfever

I am concerned about moving my 3 year old from pillar to post in rentals but also I wondered if anyone can advise me if there are restrictions on things like hanging pictures in rentals?

Hiya Em...I'm sure if you fix the pics (heyey...poet dude!) by a non destructive fixing, youd be fine. Theres plenty of those 'velcro' fixers around in B & Q. They're really strong and it may be worth taking a few out with you.

Dan

Guest smoggieswilltravel

Hi All

Natalie we met at the picnic, any news on a departure date yet? We fly out on the 9th August, you'll have to let us know when your on the move.

We have been living in a rented house since selling our own in the North East and moving south. We were lucky and the house we rented had not been a rental proeprty before, the family were moving to a new village and needed to move quickly and so rented their house out rather than wait for buyers. So... the house was in really good nick. Its in a village and the nieghbours are lovley and to be quite honest we could really have seem our selves living here full time.

I'm not sure if Oz rentals are the same but here in the UK you can put up pictures and curtain rails etc...but you have to remove and fill in the holes and re-decorate the walls if required, when you leave.

I tell you the thing that really puts me off in 'manky carpets' Yukkk as you can't do anything about them and I just don't want to touch them. So it good that Oz houses mostly have wood or tiled floors. I think that as soon as you have your own stuff in then its really not so bad. As long as your happy with the area you are in and if you can build a good realationship with your landlord I would imagine that they woul not mind you decorating as it means they don't have to. As long as its not outrageous then I think most would go for it.

Take care all

:spinny:

Guest jonseywife
Hiya Em...I'm sure if you fix the pics (heyey...poet dude!) by a non destructive fixing, youd be fine. Theres plenty of those 'velcro' fixers around in B & Q. They're really strong and it may be worth taking a few out with you.

Dan

Im in shock Em that Dan has managed to actually give some sensible advice for once ..... wonders will never cease !!! :swoon:

Luckily most Ozie home have solid floors like wood or tiles so that shouldnt be a problem and a quick lick of paint just before you leave and no one will ever know you've been there !!!!!

Anyhow, I think that wherever you, your OH & your lovely little babies are in the whole wide world will always feel like home........... as long as your all happy & together !!!

Best wishes

sally-ann x

Guest Scarletfever
Im in shock Em that Dan has managed to actually give some sensible advice for once ..... wonders will never cease !!! :swoon:

Yep...Not just a pretty face me y'know!

a5.jpg

Luckily most Ozie home have solid floors like wood or tiles so that shouldnt be a problem and a quick lick of paint just before you leave and no one will ever know you've been there !!!!!

Anyhow, I think that wherever you, your OH & your lovely little babies are in the whole wide world will always feel like home........... as long as your all happy & together !!!

Best wishes

sally-ann x

Sally-ann

you are so right! Im getting all stressed with this packing lark. Been on days trying to sort out bloody cupboards and drawers and more cupboards and getting no further forward only managing to make more piles :arghh:

Em x

Guest brownfamily

Hi Em,

We have been renting for the last month on the Sunshine Coast and I think it's right what everyone has said.....if you have your own things around you then it will feel like home.

The amount that you will be able to do to the property I think will depend on the rental agent/area/demand etc. For example where we are now you are not supposed to put blue tack on our walls!!

But having said that it is a condition of our lease that we have to have the carpet (only carpet in the front room) professionally cleaned before we move out, so at least you know it's clean when u move in.

Please try not to worry, wherever you and your family are will always be home.

Heather

Dan

Dan

That very good advice from you :goofy:

Thanks

Em x

Guest Scarletfever
Dan

That very good advice from you :goofy:

Thanks

Em x

Nah...I was only lying to make friends Em!!:biglaugh:

Guest fatpom

We rented for 9 years before buying (moved around a lot). You can't make any material changes to the place such as putting picture hooks on the wall etc. They're particularly angsty about picture hooks or anything which will mark the walls as they can make a room look scruffy when its empty. Any problems or maintenance requirements must be reported but that doesn't necessarily mean anything will be done. So if the roof is leaking say that you're concerned about the roof beams rotting & not that you're pissed off with getting wet:)

Keep a record of all correspondence with the estate agents & follow up all contact with a letter stating the facts. They're pretty useless & as a tennant your word counts for nothing. You are the lowest of the low. We had several disputes over rental payments in spite of using electronic bank transfer to pay the rent. If they lose your payment in their accounts its up to you to prove it & they won't co-operate as they only want you to pay up without a fuss.

You will be subject to a three monthly house inspection. Enjoy!

I strongly advise you to take pictures of all existing defects & marks before moving in, fill in the condition report stating every last mark & scuff, hand the estate agents copy back with pictures of the worst marks at the very least. The property manager may seem fine on entering the property but could be a bitch/bastard on exiting. When you're leaving the premises put a full day aside to really clean up the place or get professional cleaner in to do it for you. The agents may want some of your 'rental bond' money.

Don't hesitate to remind the agents that you're the paying customer... they don't like to hear it but it lets them know your not a push over.

And as for whether it will feel like Home?... of course it will... up to a point. :)

Guest NIGEL

Hi

We are in a rental, it was brand new when we moved into it but there were still marks and scuffs from the builders so i filled in all the forms, one for each room and noted down everything that was marked down to dirty handprints on walls just incase i couldn't remove these when we vacate the house. We had to write for permission to have a satelitedish and a phone to be installed and this was granted, but i have no pictures on the walls and i do moan a little at my boys to be carefull of the walls, we also have to have the carpets professionally cleaned when we move out. The place does feel like a home as much as it can with all your own things around you, and we have had our 1st inspection which i didn't like but everything was fine, but its not nice as you think there checking how clean you keep ur house even the cobwebs have to be kept at bay outside and the garage swept clean, the day she came you could of ate ur dinner off the floor, but saying that its not to bad, I maybe here for another 6months as our house wont be built untill then.

Good Luck

Karen and Family xx

Hi All,

We have been discussing this issue. I have never been in a rental, as we have not sold our house we are in the position were we will have to rent in Oz as we will have no capital to buy. Will it ever feel like home?? Am I going to panic incase the kids spill something etc?

I am concerned about moving my 3 year old from pillar to post in rentals but also I wondered if anyone can advise me if there are restrictions on things like hanging pictures in rentals? My little on has decided that she would like a fairy bedspread in her new bedroom (spent all day trawling places to fond one) and I obviouly know you cant repaint etc but was hoping that could dress up her room with pics etc.

I know I am worrying about stupid things at the moment!!! But think im going crackers :goofy:

Em x

Hi Em,

We are now on our 2nd rental - the first rental wa for 6month contract and then we went month to month untill we found something better, the rules were

No blue/white tac on walls

No smoking

No Pets

No Nails/Hooks in walls etc

and all the general things like not being able to have a tv dish put up with our permission etc etc

They are quite fussy when it comes to getting the bond back, we had to have the carpets professionaly cleaned (not that we had made them dirty) just part of the contract and also the floors had to be deodorised as well - i took all their curtains down and put my own up.We really had to scrub the place up spotless even down to the outside of the fly screens - it was no where so clean when we first moved in - so when it comes to moving out they are rather strict.

Hi girls,

Thats the worrying thing when you have 2 small children keeping the place spotless and having someone inspect it! Suppose just part and parcel of it. Now that we have rented our house out we know that got no chance of buying a property ourselves for a very long time so looks like we will have to get used to it. I think its the picture thing aswell cos got lovely canvas of the girls done recently and things like that will be missed on the wall.

Never mind just have to take it as it comes i suppose.

Em x :unsure:

Em dont be disheartened ,not every rental agent is so strict.The house we rented had lots of picture hooks up and i used white tack for the kids rooms ,just took it all off before we moved out.I also know some agents will let you decorate etc if you ask first,infact ,Alva who arrived here the other week is decorating the kids rooms in her rental.Do check everything with a fine tooth comb and keep all your rent reciepts.Dont worry about inspections ,you wanna see how some aussies live!! and i only had one inspection(other than final) a few weeks before we moved out.dont worry!!!

Cal x

Hi All,

Em x

The most annoying thing we found when renting for the first time ever; was a jumped up trollop of a property manager who was so far up herself, and who really looked down on us because we were renting. The landlord hadn't seen her house for a while so requested a viewing ............ but the PM forgot to tell us!

Being a plumber I had fixed up quite a lot of things myself on this run-down rental we were in while we built. I replaced corroded taps with brand new tap sets (expensive if you have to buy them!), replaced shower heads, etc etc rather than moider the agent with an array of jobs that agents don't seem to get done quickly. It was a win win situation for the landlord as I was doing it buckshee; thereby saving the landlord heaps on maintenance costs and excess water charges too!

Come inspection time though.......... it was like world war 3!:goofy: We hadn't allegedly done this, done that, this was wrong, that was wrong......etc etc. It was a right carry on.......... I'd had enough of this bitch who just arrived unannounced (against the RTA) and she had to be put in her place.

Getting bond money back is a big bugbear! When you gain access to a rental property; take heaps of photos of the place and date them. This is your evidence of any earlier blemishes that may be attributed to you come bond return day.

Our jumped up property manager didn't last too long as she lacked people skills. I hardly complain about anyone ever.......... but she deserved it. Apparently there were a spate of complaints about her so she didn't last the distance. The trick is to build up a good rapport with your property manager. We did that with the next one and everything was magic. We were in that rental for 10 months......... no problems once rent-a-gob was dismissed. We treated the home with respect........... and the landlord and agent treated us with respect.

Allowances have to be made for fair wear and tear; kids and toddlers have to play somewhere. Main thing is to keep the place neat and tidy within reason; look after the gardens and general upkeep........... and you are laughing. Some rentals have a lawn maintenance contract thrown in with the rent.......... so check that out? Also, water is very expensive down under so ascertain beforehand who pays for excess water used on the garden..... ie you or the landlord?

I see you haven't rented before.......... in that case don't forget to take character references with you to Oz coupled with any records you have of you being a good and timely regular payer of bills. You'll need those as rentals are in big demand at present and competition is pretty stiff from other applicants.

Archived