IELT test - Academic or General???

Guest NeilanGemz

Guest NeilanGemz

Hi does anybody know which type of IELT test I should be taking as it appears there are 2 types??

I'm assuming the general as I presume that the academic one is for uni applications and the like but would like to make sure before I book it

Thanks

neil

Guest tyasawa
Hi does anybody know which type of IELT test I should be taking as it appears there are 2 types??

I'm assuming the general as I presume that the academic one is for uni applications and the like but would like to make sure before I book it

Thanks

neil

Hi Neil,

It depends on your intended nominated occupation and whether you need skill assessment. If I am not wrong DIAC will accept either one, but some of the skill assessment body needs Academic IELTS.

Guest AustrAnglian

Hi Neil - I believe Tyasawa is correct. Just to add to that post there is also growing talk from some of the States that the IELTS requirements may change when the SMPs are signed and published so if you intend applying for an SMP you may want to wait for another week which is when they are rumoured for release. See link:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/97600-ielts-required-wa-state-sponsorship.html#post886893

This year some assessing bodies introduced a need for academic IELTS as part of the application for skills assessment so you need to look at the requirements for your occupation code's assessment.

There's also a suggestion of the points test changing next year so it depends how soon you're expecting to make your visa application. Currently I believe DIAC only require a general test for the GSM applications.

As a rule of thumb if you want to be safe and you have reasonable English skills I'd play it safe and go for the academic test. If a general test is required by DIAC, sponsoring states and/or skills assessing bodies I believe all will accept the academic test which is (in theory) the more difficult one.

I've done both and didn't notice any significant difference at all between the two (some sections like the listening and speaking are identical). All the best.

Guest NeilanGemz

Hi Guys, thanks for the info.

I've already took and passed my skills test (Vetassess) general electrician. The only reason I need the IELT is due to the points scoring on my visa app. I scored 110 and need 120!!!

I was going to apply for a skilled independant 175 visa, I have the time to wait for it to be processed as I'm currently doing a degree in electrical engineering, so wouldn't be able to go for a couple of years anyway.

Ideally I want to get it booked up for the 20th Nov as soon as I can, by delaying it i'm only delaying my visa app going in you see.

It is really only for the purpose of my points score so I suppose if DIAC accept either the academic or the general IELT it shouldn't matter which I take, right???

Neil

Hi Guys, thanks for the info.

I've already took and passed my skills test (Vetassess) general electrician. The only reason I need the IELT is due to the points scoring on my visa app. I scored 110 and need 120!!!

I was going to apply for a skilled independant 175 visa, I have the time to wait for it to be processed as I'm currently doing a degree in electrical engineering, so wouldn't be able to go for a couple of years anyway.

Ideally I want to get it booked up for the 20th Nov as soon as I can, by delaying it i'm only delaying my visa app going in you see.

It is really only for the purpose of my points score so I suppose if DIAC accept either the academic or the general IELT it shouldn't matter which I take, right???

Neil

General Training will be sufficient, However it is up to you which one you can pass easily i.e you can take any

Guest AustrAnglian

Hi Neil, yes it shouldn't matter if it's solely for the DIAC points.

Note the following link - DIAC say you can provide your IELTS after application. Might be something to note if you're trying to get your 175 lodged asap. I didn't do this so can't advise how it works in practice. Cheers.

What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

• 5 months later...

Archived