Is Australia Tourist unfriendly?

Metoo

Guest Guest31881
Not related to the tolls situation, but with regards the 'tourist friendly' question, In general, I don't think it's 'unfriendly', just some sights/attractions aren't as developed as they might be if they were in another country. There's been many historical attractions I've visited in Australia and I've thought that in another country there'd be big car park, cafe, souvenir shop etc etc to cash in on the tourists, but it's a different kettle of fish in Oz, due to the vastness of it, and the comparatively small population and seasonal factors in some areas, there's just no justification/business sense in adding the trimmings when only a handful of people a week may pass by IMHO.

Ohh that is so, so true, The museum I am looking after should be the prime tourist attraction in the area. I am slowly dragging them along and getting things changed, we have some great gardens that would make a nice area to have a tea garden but it is like pulling teeth to get permission to do it. Souvenirs available consisted of Tea spoons with a badge on. I have now added key rings and fridge magnets. We are now selling copies of local historical documents that we print to order. My main problem is that we remain reliant on passing trade and its seasonal as not many pass during the summer ( to hot). We have managed to attract a couple of coach companies to visit us on their tours of the area. The “Committee” I answer to have never had anyone try to sell the museum as a tourist attraction and are astounded that we are getting positive responses from tourist organisations.

I also agree with speed limit signs - the speed limits change a ridiculous amount of times on one road and blink and you have missed a change. I live in a semi rural area in which the limits have been painted over so many times and they keep chaning for no real reason (than to keep someone in a job i imagine) and like you have been fined twice in ten months!!

I drove from the Gold Coast to Sydney today, I can't believe how many times the speed limit changes on the same stretch of road for no apparent reason, you are just fair game for the Police as at any given point on the same stretch of road you would have no idea of the limit if you had missed the sign.

Guest sh7t man no way

my friend steven had a troll,and hes never owned E tag---firstly he wuz only 7 at the time,and couldnt drive---oh it wuz a troll not a toll he owned--sorry wrong thread--or is it im:confused:anyway moving on his dad is trying to go to australia on holiday but cant get through to the tourist imfomation place in australia--they just leave a message on the answer machine saying there at a barbie,and may be in the office next month sometime please try late,and have a nice day:mad:he is not impressed:no:

I've got to say it really should come as no surprise to find that there are toll roads in Australia.

After all you find them all over the world.

On the motorways in Europe, in the USA, bridges over the Thames, the Seven etc.

I do agree that it is not as easy due to not being able to pay cash.

When we first arrived we hired a car from www.bayswatercarrental.com.au that came equipped with an E-tag. A small sensor on the windowscreen that beeps when you enter/exit the toll road. The cost was added to the bill at the end.

That did give us a start and an insight into the system.

It also ment that we had no pressure to use the phone to pay. A system I hear that is not fun.

When we bought our own car we went to the local RTA- www.rta.nsw.gov.au and got an etag for ourselves. Took ID, drivers licence and credit card.

It was easy. Only took 20 mins.

I believe you can order them online and there are three different tags. 1 light user, 1 heavy user and a tourist one.

All the info we needed we found on the RTA website. Costs of sections of tolls, list of roads etc.

I do agree that the prepaid bus system in Sydney is a real pain.

I caught a bus for the first time a few weeks ago and it was a good job that I wasn't in a hurry.

Had to find a shop to buy a ticket, got one from a newsagent. There was no sign saying they sold them. Not being a 'local' I wasn't sure what ticket to buy. After a bit I managed to get the right one. Still nervous though when I got on the bus.

All this I think is new for Sydney, going cashless, but the oyster system in use in London for buses/trains is I think, a better system. But hay ho.

Just another example of things being different in a different country.

After a while it becomes something else you know and do.

Good post and an example how PIO members can help each other.

1. Some one starts a thread highlighting certain anomalies that people new to an area may encounter.

2. Another helpful member helps out with urls and tips on how to over come them.

so what was all that drivel about from post 2 - 30 ??

Guest sh7t man no way
Good post and an example how PIO members can help each other.

1. Some one starts a thread highlighting certain anomalies that people new to an area may encounter.

2. Another helpful member helps out with urls and tips on how to over come them.

so what was all that drivel about from post 2 - 30 ??

the essence of pio mate--thanks for pointing it out to us--sometimes we forget--thanks for your guidence in these troubled times:notworthy:i for one seem to go on a path of selfish pleasure on here--i will try harder--you know mate there the makings of a mod in you--worth a thought:wubclub:

the essence of pio mate--thanks for pointing it out to us--sometimes we forget--thanks for your guidence in these troubled times:notworthy:i for one seem to go on a path of selfish pleasure on here--i will try harder--you know mate there the makings of a mod in you--worth a thought:wubclub:

Thanks for the compliments Al, but a mods job is not for me (though i'm ofter approached:wink:) I'm one of the people.:notworthy:

Guest sh7t man no way
Thanks for the compliments Al, but a mods job is not for me (though i'm ofter approached:wink:) I'm one of the people.:notworthy:

yup know what you mean mate--ive been approched on several occasions-but i prefer to be active on here with my thoughts--i just couldnt sit for hours going through hundreds of posts looking for any type of reaction--sound like trolling to me:wink:

Archived