Is Australia Tourist unfriendly?

Metoo

:no:Hello Everybody,

We are on our validation trip and we are having a great time, we are 2 weeks into our three week break. We have travelled from Sydney up to Queensland (Gold Coast) and are about to do the return trip.

We have seen and done some wonderful things but.....one or two things make us wonder if Australia is truly geared up for tourists.

Firstly has anyone tried to pay the various Road Toll fees by mobile phone (you can no longer pay by cash and being a visitor you don't have an electronic tag)

We tried it today and it was the most frustrating thing, we gave up in the end and by asking around we found an alternative way of paying (via the petrol station) which the government dept fail to tell you. We also notice that they try to railroad you into using the toll roads/bridges which can work out expensive at $5 a go. If you do manage to avoid the Toll route you find they have made the alternative so frustrating ie extra lights, reduced lanes, closing some roads altogether and the traffic is horrendous.

Secondly, did you try and catch the bus from Circular Quay in Sydney, they do not take cash on the bus. Truly, we waited 10 mins for the bus and when it arrived we had to get off again cos we failed to obtain a ticket before hand. There is no notice that you need to do this until you board the bus. We were directed to a booth up the road, which by the way was closed (in the middle of a week day) we were redirected by a note stuck to the booth window to somewhere over the road??? Anyway by the time we tracked down the shop which by the way was not advertising bus tickets for sale we had missed another two buses arghhhh

As a tourist these things can add a lot of stress and wasted time when trying to find your way around a new city/country.

Has anybody else noticed anything similar?

Metoo (on the Gold Coast for one more night) :sad:

Guest BrightonBoys

Our car hire company told us that we could pay the tolls through them!

I think Aus is one of the best places (not the best but in the top 5) places for tourists, speaking as having been a tourist and as a lecturer in Travel and Tourism!

To reiterate what Kev said, do some homework, buy a guidebook and it does make a good time better and easier!

If you're a tourist..............you do your homework...........when in Rome....??????

kev

Whilst I partly agree, the public transport system in Sydney is primarily oriented towards commuters and has changed considerably in the last few years. Not only do you need the money, you also need to know how and where to convert the money into appropriately denominated travel tickets. This can be tough on tourists. Cheers.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We paid quite a bit out in road tolls recently in Brisbane going backwards and forwards to kev and brigits house in Bracken ridge, to keep replenishing kevs Twoogheys platinum beer stocks up, the guy drinks like a fish.

Seriously though, we did pay quite a bit but petrol was half price so we didn't grumble about it and we found it easy to log our car number to pay, but that doesn't mean its always easy.

If you're a tourist..............you do your homework...........when in Rome....??????

kev

Which is why the OPs post is good for people researching bus travel in Sydney.

Thanks Metoo, I'm sure a lot of people will learn from your misfortune :wubclub:

kev

Kev,

When we were in Sydney 3 yrs ago, we paid Toll fee in cash at the Toll gate and we paid cash on the bus for the fare. Why would we then research these things if we don't know they have changed the system.

Unless someone mentions it (which nobody had) how would we know?

Metoo

Kev,

When we were in Sydney 3 yrs ago, we paid Toll fee in cash at the Toll gate and we paid cash on the bus for the fare. Why would we then research these things if we don't know they have changed the system.

Metoo

G'day mate, do you think that is representative of Australia? Have driven all over this great land and the only place I ever paid a toll was the Gateway Bridge in Brissie.

Cheers, Bobj.

G'day mate, do you think that is representative of Australia? Have driven all over this great land and the only place I ever paid a toll was the Gateway Bridge in Brissie.

Cheers, Bobj.

Bob, the OP was shedding light on the fact that its a ball ache if you are new or a tourist to brisbane and want to pay a toll. There is a very good chance that you will want to cross the gateway bridge if visiting there. When ilanded in brissie I got im my hire car and headed straight to the bridge, luckily you could still pay with cash but if you couldn't I would have luck a bit of a muppet most likely with a hairy ars3ed trucker right up my ar5e.

People are always getting slated for not researching their move so the more posts with info like this the better i say.

Toll roads and bridges | ourbrisbane.com

If you have access to a computer you can pay tolls on line or buy day tickets on line.

Also here in Melbourne you get can buy a ticket which is good for the day for all modes of transport.

Once you live here and have registered with a toll company then they bill you for tolls from other states etc. In fact some people at one time were using interstate toll companies as their fees were cheaper than the state they lived in i e Melbourne people had Queensland tags.

Signage can be a problem for tourists as we locals find them difficult.

If you have access to a computer you can pay tolls on line or buy day tickets on line.

Also here in Melbourne you get can buy a ticket which is good for the day for all modes of transport.

Once you live here and have registered with a toll company then they bill you for tolls from other states etc. In fact some people at one time were using interstate toll companies as their fees were cheaper than the state they lived in i e Melbourne people had Queensland tags.

Signage can be a problem for tourists as we locals find them difficult.

Do hire cars have the tag things

Bob, the OP was shedding light on the fact that its a ball ache if you are new or a tourist to brisbane and want to pay a toll. There is a very good chance that you will want to cross the gateway bridge if visiting there. When ilanded in brissie I got im my hire car and headed straight to the bridge, luckily you could still pay with cash but if you couldn't I would have luck a bit of a muppet most likely with a hairy ars3ed trucker right up my ar5e.

People are always getting slated for not researching their move so the more posts with info like this the better i say.

Toll roads and bridges | ourbrisbane.com

Aldo, the OP's original thread starter was 'Is Australia tourist unfriendly.'

Which is tantamount to saying 'I went from Bradford to Birmingham...Is Europe unfriendly to tourists?:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Do hire cars have the tag things

I don't know but I think its a question people should be asking.

For anyone new who is living here and does not use the freeways often like us you can have an account liked to a credit card and have all the household cars on it. This avoids having to pay upfront and only pay for what we use.

However if you are like us and still have the kids cars on it remember to get them off we still pay for them as we are too lazy to fix it.:laugh:

Guest guest30038
Kev,

Metoo

The same way that we knew when we drove down there last year. In an ever changing world, I would (personally) assume that things had/would change in 3 yrs, especially as toll fares seem to rise at least once a year. We googled much stuff before we went, even the heights of the barriers at car parks..........not that we got much joy there :rolleyes:

We knew exactly what to expect when we went down there and even though we were aware of the tolls, the campervan hire company still provided us with a leaflet informing us of the proceedure for paying............an obligation so to do, as they didn't have their vehicles tagged, just as most hire companies don't. They made it clear that any failure to pay would be later passed on to us by them along with a penalty fee and also advised us that if we couldn't be arsed to pay, then they would happily pay for us as they would benefit from the penalty fee that they imposed.........a warning, if you will. It's simple really (at least in brizzy).......you can pay at licenced newsagents if you don't want to pay in advance, with (I think) 3 days to pay.

In summary in respect of the thread heading: I don't think Australia is unfair to tourists in this respect, (it is in some others such as the state of public toilets in Brizzy) My conclusion is based on my knowledge of the fact that hire companies in brizzy clue tourists up about the (nationwide) tolls and the consequences.

kev

Agree about the tolls, it is harder for visitors or new arrivals now they dont take cash. Thankfully most car hire companys in Brisbane include the toll charges in your hire fee so you dont have to worry, others i have used set you up an e-account for the duration of your stay (linked to your credit card), either way it means you dont have to panic about paying them within 3 days.

Can i ask which toll is $5 ? i use the logan and gateway tolls quite a bit but am sure they are just short of $3 each way.

Anyway the sun is shining for you now,lol and hopefully the rain as passed so make the most of your last week and have a great time.

Cal x

No tolls in Tassie insofar as I have experienced! I would have checked to see if anything had changed in terms after even a year away but that's me and having grown up in an area of Britain where transport is a pain and the goal posts changed every year, it is natural for me check into such things.

Hope the rest of your holiday is lovely. :smile:

Guest sh7t man no way

i think queensland is tourist unfriendly--they only seem to tell you anything after youve paid for it--as for toll roads its a nightmare--the logan tool road to ipswich is a laugh---i think queensland could do a lot more to make peoples holiday better--whats the point of visiting luverly queensland if theres not much info available when you get there--youve worked hard to be able to afford the holiday,why should you have to work hard (research) to enjoy your holiday--come on queensland get your finger out of you a**e---and give these people a holiday of a life time:wubclub:its there holiday not yours--do somthing--where the bluddy hell are you:no:

Guest chris955

I found NSW to be very tourist unfriendly, tolls everywhere and even parking at the big 'famous' beaches can be $5 an hour. I can't imagine having to get on the internet to see how tolls are paid, I would assume you could pay with real cash money.

Guest guest30038
I can't imagine having to get on the internet to see how tolls are paid, I would assume you could pay with real cash money.

How do you pay your tolls then Chris, and where did you find out how to do it?

Not related to the tolls situation, but with regards the 'tourist friendly' question, In general, I don't think it's 'unfriendly', just some sights/attractions aren't as developed as they might be if they were in another country. There's been many historical attractions I've visited in Australia and I've thought that in another country there'd be big car park, cafe, souvenir shop etc etc to cash in on the tourists, but it's a different kettle of fish in Oz, due to the vastness of it, and the comparatively small population and seasonal factors in some areas, there's just no justification/business sense in adding the trimmings when only a handful of people a week may pass by IMHO.

As a comment, and maybe an answer to many of you, I don't think Australia is tourist unfriendly at all, the title was meant to attract attention and provoke some thought on the situation we outlined, a point I think was lost on a few people.

The information on tolls is not readily available if you don't even know you are meant to look, and how can you get an answer if you don't know the question, so the comment on research or the lack of it is not only unhelpful, but getting to be indicative of some of the smart ass comments that seem to be common on this forum.

On our trip we have booked flights, arrived, taxied about, bussed about, been into a dozen attractions, and driven so far, over 2000 km, we have had no problems, I think the tourist facilities in this country are superb and could show some others a thing or two, free parking at most, good signage, very well maintained and overall very professional.

The two issues mentioned are the only two things we have found where the implementation of a system has not really taken tourists into account, the tolls, mainly in Sydney, where a few of them are over $5, and sometimes you don't even realise you have been through them, the info supplied on the sign as you pass at 80k's is in quite small print and the fines for non payment are quite horrendous, this is all fine for locals, as you get your tag and grow up with these systems being put in, but as a tourist, which is a major industry in Australia, I think there could be some more thought on how to make it a bit easier for strangers in general.

AS for the bus, again no signs until we got on the bus and were promptly told to get off, the booth was a good 100 meters away and the newsagent, again another 100m away did not advertise bus tickets, when we were on the bus, the driver appeared to take money at all other stops except the origin stop where we got on, I did find this quite frustrating and certainly do not want to spend time "learning" how to use a public transport system which should be easy and intuitive.

Enough said

Guest smileykylie

I have to agree with you metoo - i live in sydney and when I returned from overseas the new roads had been built and I still have not quite worked out how to pay the tolls. Like you say it is also not readily apparent how much the toll is (eg lane cove tunnel is extra) and bits of the roads are owned by different companies and there seems to be a toll every couple of km's (on the m2 and m7). Fortunately I just steal a toll pass from my family as I have yet to work out how to pay it!!!

I also agree with speed limit signs - the speed limits change a ridiculous amount of times on one road and blink and you have missed a change. I live in a semi rural area in which the limits have been painted over so many times and they keep chaning for no real reason (than to keep someone in a job i imagine) and like you have been fined twice in ten months!!

Archived