can we aford this move!! supermarket wage??

Guest traybears

Guest Abi&Dan
I do office work anything from reception to legal secretary and wonder why this is, you'd think it would be the other way round. Is it because people don't want to do these jobs? :err:

Tracey

Tracey - it'll be the other way round - there are always loads of people wanting to work in offices so they can pay them less as there isn't a shortfall. Mind you if you're a qualified legal secretary you should be able to get paid quite a bit above the standard - check out "My Career - more to life " - a novel by Chris Bale as mentioned before - or SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site as they're the 2 biggest online agencies (from what I've seen)

Good luck

Guest traybears

Hi.i Currently Work In A Supermarket (sainsburys) 15 Hour A Week And Enjoy It.i'm On About £5.50 An Hour.in Oz I Heard You Get About $15-$17 An Hour.thats About £2-£3 More Than Me!

Pat ..

I think you have the right attitude . You realise that its not going to all milk and honey and that there is no substitute for hard work and a lot of sacrifice . With that I think you will overcome the obstacles . I apologise for being so blunt in my earlier posts . It's just that I read so many posts that want me sometimes to scream out and say " think again !! " . I suppose we are in a unique situation whereby we almost have two lives , an Australian one and a British one . Both are good in their different ways , and honestly there is little to choose between the two . There is good and bad in both .However having said that , would we do the same again ??? ... probably not ..

Hi Dave....would you come back, I hope you don't mind me asking?

I watched the Panorama program last night about all the problems surrounding Slough and I could see that they are going through what we are over in certain parts of Lancashire its shocking whats going on and I work with the public and its in my face everyday, it drags you down after a while.:cry:...probably explians the first post of mine.

thanks again for telling it like it is, I'm sorry but as much as I love home and family...I can't wait to have a chance over there.....PAT

I think at the end of the day it's about living within your means - the majority of us did it when we lived/live in the UK and being in Aus won't be any different. The days of everyone being mortgage free are gone, alot of people will have to have some sort of mortgage.

Ali

I find this thread rather interesting. So thought I would share my thoughts for us.

Being in the situation where we have been unable to sell our property in the UK we are renting it out and taking a small proportion of the equity to allow us to relocate. This will not be enough for a mortgage deposit and will give us a little cushion money. However my OH will be working but on a moderate wage as its his uncles company as our only chance to get to OZ we took it. When I handed in my notice to my job of 12 years I felt relief but also worry at giving up a job that I have worked up to and is fairly stress free now that I only do 15 hours a week on a good take home pay.

BUT I have my head pretty much screwed on, :goofy:we know we will have to keep everything very tight and the fact that the schooling is later means I am going to struggle to find work during day so will have to work nights and weekends. Of course I didnt want to go to OZ and work evenings and weekends whilst my OH works days, but thats what I do here so why would it be any different there? I have tried to give myself a bit of a business plan of what I would like to acheive over the next few years. I am a qualified Nail Tech but would love to fully train as a beautician so I would like if possible to spend the next 2 years or so doing my full training whilst working hopefully in a hotel (this is my main background) to bring in some pennies so that when the children are older and in school it will give me the scope to set myself up as a beautician.

Ok sounds like a nice dream.......achievable??? Of course, we achieved our dream of going to Oz with lots of hard work and commitment and this will be no different.

Good Luck everyone, where theres a will theres a way.

Em x

Pat ..

I think you have the right attitude . You realise that its not going to all milk and honey and that there is no substitute for hard work and a lot of sacrifice . With that I think you will overcome the obstacles . I apologise for being so blunt in my earlier posts . It's just that I read so many posts that want me sometimes to scream out and say " think again !! " . I suppose we are in a unique situation whereby we almost have two lives , an Australian one and a British one . Both are good in their different ways , and honestly there is little to choose between the two . There is good and bad in both .However having said that , would we do the same again ??? ... probably not ..

I agree with you 99%. I've been here twice as long as you and yes, those first years can be very hard but I would have to say that I definitely,with the benefit of hindsight, would do it all again.

I find this thread rather interesting. So thought I would share my thoughts for us.

Being in the situation where we have been unable to sell our property in the UK we are renting it out and taking a small proportion of the equity to allow us to relocate. This will not be enough for a mortgage deposit and will give us a little cushion money. However my OH will be working but on a moderate wage as its his uncles company as our only chance to get to OZ we took it. When I handed in my notice to my job of 12 years I felt relief but also worry at giving up a job that I have worked up to and is fairly stress free now that I only do 15 hours a week on a good take home pay.

BUT I have my head pretty much screwed on, :goofy:we know we will have to keep everything very tight and the fact that the schooling is later means I am going to struggle to find work during day so will have to work nights and weekends. Of course I didnt want to go to OZ and work evenings and weekends whilst my OH works days, but thats what I do here so why would it be any different there? I have tried to give myself a bit of a business plan of what I would like to acheive over the next few years. I am a qualified Nail Tech but would love to fully train as a beautician so I would like if possible to spend the next 2 years or so doing my full training whilst working hopefully in a hotel (this is my main background) to bring in some pennies so that when the children are older and in school it will give me the scope to set myself up as a beautician.

Ok sounds like a nice dream.......achievable??? Of course, we achieved our dream of going to Oz with lots of hard work and commitment and this will be no different.

Good Luck everyone, where theres a will theres a way.

Em x

Nothing wrong with dreams, afterall going to Oz was a dream and you made it there :)

Tracey

Guest Dave53

Pat .

I hope I haven't started opened up a hornets nest here . That is not my intention . Let me say straight away , Australia is a good country , and most migrants will succeed and call it home . You asked , " would you come back ?" . That is not easy to answer as we have a unique situation wherby we spend time in Britain most years anyway . We have adult children who are forging their lives in Australia , but we also have the pull of old parents living in Britain , who are increasingly needing our help .It's a very difficult time for us , we now seem no more at home here than in the first few years . Indeed on reflection , I would say our happiest times are when we are in England . The face of your family changes over the years , naturally as family back in Britain age and become more dependant priorities change also . I feel that my 80 yr old parents will need me more than my 29 yr old son soon , and that will be a decisive and very difficult time for all the family . I hope I've not depressed anyone here .... Theres always room for a :spinny:you know ....Just remember , Australia is a beautiful country . Best of luck to all ..

Hi Dave ….sorry about that I didn’t mean to pry, as you say everybody’s circumstances are different and I don’t envy the choices that lie ahead for you.

I had to look after my mother for her last year and yes I don’t know how she would have managed otherwise.

I wish you all the best for the future and thanks again for the honest reply.

Take care…….Pat

Guest Dave53

Pat ...That's Ok . You're not prying at all , and I certainly am not upset or anything of the kind . It's good to ask questions , after all that's what this forum is all about . Ask as much as you like . I will always try and give honest answers . When do you intend on moving and where to ? . Take care .

Pat ...That's Ok . You're not prying at all , and I certainly am not upset or anything of the kind . It's good to ask questions , after all that's what this forum is all about . Ask as much as you like . I will always try and give honest answers . When do you intend on moving and where to ? . Take care .

Hi Dave....We intend moving A.S.A.P....started the process in March but due to my age (46) and being sat on the fence contemplating the move for two years or more, we have made things twice as hard for ourselfs......we kept thinking things would get better or something would crop up.....you know how it goes etc.

I have just started down the road ot skills tests and am going to Perth in August to try and speed thing up by finding a sponsor myself.

A good quote I read recently was "If you are waiting for somebody to come along and help you sort out your life.....What if they don't turn up?"

It is a real minefield, but we are trying our best and will sort it one way or another....

I truely believe that people tend to regret not doing things rather than at least trying and maybe failing......looking back at my own personal experience, that is definately true.

Thanks again for your valued points of view.....Pat

Guest Dave53

Tracy .... Thanks .

Pat .... Going over to Perth will be the best money you will ever spend . I always say , " If you can't afford to go any see what it's like , you can't afford to go there and live " . Go for it and best of luck ..

Archived