457 visa while waiting for 176 SS Visa

Guest VickyMel

Yes, we have seen a few people doing that recently - hopefully they will come along and give you more info soon.

I think most leave the 176 running (so they get PR as and when) and start a new application.

Good luck

Vickymel

About the only catch is you have to leave Australia to have our 175 issued as 175/176 are offshore visa's. They recommend 10 working days, we risked 5 and then found the Monday was a public holiday, we certainly sweated and finally got our visa on the Friday.

Do remember the conditions of a 457 aren't as favourable and I do remember our agent saying nurses on 457s often get exploited - the worst shifts, jobs etc. Because they can't up and leave. Might be worth asking the question of other nurses on here.

Otherwise it certainly worked well for us.

Good luck!

Jules

Guest Taylor72

Hi Helen, you little minx !!!! your trying to beat me there arent you lol xx

Yes you can do that which would get you there quicker but you would be tied into a job for around 4 yrs !!! its up to you but ive got a friend who works in a hospital and she has named it hell house hehe but shes stuck for the time being but she feels its a small price to pa,y to live her dream . Which i might add she does really well xx

Best of luck lovely xx keep me in the loop x

Annette x

Guest Taylor72
Actually, she would not be tied to the 457 job for 4 years since she has a 176 visa application in already. Once that comes through, she will have PR and can do any job she wants for any employer.

seriously !!!!! mmmmmm could be an option for me then too. Would they not have any hold over you as i persume you would sign a contract of employment on the 457 and they pay for your moving costs etc.

Really interested in your opinion !!! do you know people who have done this ???

Kind regards

Annette x:jiggy:

Yes, seriously. And yes I know people who have done this.

I am commenting on the migration law aspects only.

What is in your contract of employment will vary from employer to employer. That is a matter of contract and employment law. But if there is nothing in the employment contract saying you will work for them for a fixed term then you are an 'employee at will' and free to resign and they are of course entitled to terminate your employment. You need to give the appropriate notice which generally is the same period in which you are paid e.g. if you are paid fortnightly then you give a fortnight's notice.

Oh thanks everyone for the reply's. Seriously thinking about it now. Don't really want to be gone before Christmas so will wait until November see what happens with SMP's. If nothing well may accept job sponsorship and go.

Got really itchy feet now and a new boss.......So wanna get going before it all really turns to poo........

No problem going offshore to validate 176 visa. Have friends in New Zealand, not seen for 7 years so would go have a holiday with them and then return to Oz.

Thanks everyone.

Annette may be there sooner. :biggrin:

Guest Taylor72
Yes, seriously. And yes I know people who have done this.

I am commenting on the migration law aspects only.

What is in your contract of employment will vary from employer to employer. That is a matter of contract and employment law. But if there is nothing in the employment contract saying you will work for them for a fixed term then you are an 'employee at will' and free to resign and they are of course entitled to terminate your employment. You need to give the appropriate notice which generally is the same period in which you are paid e.g. if you are paid fortnightly then you give a fortnight's notice.

Thank you Sandra !!!

mmmm something to think over, pity my job offer doesnt sponsor, that would of been great.

Not sure about a fixed contract, i know my friend has a contract with her employer for 4 years. I suppose if you breach contract the worst that could happen is you payback the relocation package money .

You have my brain ticking now sandra.

Thanks again

Annette x

Helen go for it xx

Guest chevalfou101

As a present 457visa holder who is waiting for the SMP's to come out, I can't recommend it. I've been working here for 3 years now and I have been exploited by my employers (i've transferred employers 3 times). At times I have not been paid correctly, I've even discovered that all my extra hours were not banked properly, and I've also been made to do jobs which are not in the scope of my position. It's human nature to take advantage of someone that is more or less stuck to you. That's the big problem with 457 visas and employer sponsored visas.

Guest asereht01

yes, that what i did!

Applied 176 last Oct 2009..then changes came making mg application hanging..

then I submitted my CV ..i was intervied and got a job offer last Aug 2010 and the employer processed my 457 working visa..documents are almost ready since I just submitted visa recently and I got the 457 visa in 5 weeks..

I am now in Sydney, started my job last Monday and eveything seems to be fine :)

and now, I just have to wait for my 176 visa to be approved!

Guest Taylor72
yes, that what i did!

Applied 176 last Oct 2009..then changes came making mg application hanging..

then I submitted my CV ..i was intervied and got a job offer last Aug 2010 and the employer processed my 457 working visa..documents are almost ready since I just submitted visa recently and I got the 457 visa in 5 weeks..

I am now in Sydney, started my job last Monday and eveything seems to be fine :)

and now, I just have to wait for my 176 visa to be approved!

Hi

Hope you dont mind me asking,are you with an agency ??? and are you not contracted for a certain length of time? if so what would be your consequences should you terminate that employment once your 176 came through, to find other employment

Archived