Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Hello all,

I have been in Australia for 25 years now, so not a newcomer to the oz way of life.

However, my dad back in the UK is now too old to drive his 1976 MG Midget 1500 and has offered it to me. (Excellent condition, low miles).

I already have a permit to import, and looking at quotes from various shipping companies.

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy, reliable, reasonable rates company for RORO shipping?

Much appreciated.

:smile:

Hello all,

I have been in Australia for 25 years now, so not a newcomer to the oz way of life.

However, my dad back in the UK is now too old to drive his 1976 MG Midget 1500 and has offered it to me. (Excellent condition, low miles).

I already have a permit to import, and looking at quotes from various shipping companies.

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy, reliable, reasonable rates company for RORO shipping?

Much appreciated.

:smile:

Hi and welcome - feel free to send me an email via the website in my signature. We're finding container rates are equal to, if not better than, RORO rates these days. Something to bear in mind. I'm sure the Midget will enjoy some Aussie sunshine!

• 2 months later...

There is more information here than on the Government sites. Thank you Iron Chef. You don't mention the 33% luxury car tax which is levied on car imports above $60k. Does this still apply to cars imported under the POI scheme?

There is more information here than on the Government sites. Thank you Iron Chef. You don't mention the 33% luxury car tax which is levied on car imports above $60k. Does this still apply to cars imported under the POI scheme?

Unfortunately it does, but the vast majority of cars fall under this mark if the importer gets a valuation rather than presenting the purchase invoice (which is usually at least 12 months old anyway).

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 2004 Mercedes CLK270 CDI Avantgarde Auto - it's a car I love, probably not worth as much as it was, but I do love it, it's in a stunning nick, and would happily drive it until the engine fell out. Probably only worth about £5000 here now - worth shipping out to Australia?

I have a 2004 Mercedes CLK270 CDI Avantgarde Auto - it's a car I love, probably not worth as much as it was, but I do love it, it's in a stunning nick, and would happily drive it until the engine fell out. Probably only worth about £5000 here now - worth shipping out to Australia?

It would be a break-even prospect - given you're happy with it and how it's running, it's worth considering bringing it over.

PS my apologies for the slow response :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit finger in the air value IMO, nobody can give me a true figure, but my import tax for 1972 VW Kombi Westfalia, I've downloaded a figure from the Red Book, is this the figure used by Customs?

Partner visa (subclass 309/subclass 100 lodged 02/04/2015, CO (VF) allocated 06/05/2015. Police ACRO Check completed 24/09/2015, Medical Check completed 01/10/2015, currently completing a C100 removal from jurisdiction for my Stepson, looking to locate to Melbourne Berwick area with my family of five in early 2016.

I would definitely look at bringing over an old Kombi, prices here have gone fairly crazy on them later. An appreciating asset, regardless of which country you keep it in. Bear in mind that a camper conversion will make it more valuable than a standard 1972 Kombi, but feel free to email us if you want to see some potential figures.

It's a bit finger in the air value IMO, nobody can give me a true figure, but my import tax for 1972 VW Kombi Westfalia, I've downloaded a figure from the Red Book, is this the figure used by Customs?

Partner visa (subclass 309/subclass 100 lodged 02/04/2015, CO (VF) allocated 06/05/2015. Police ACRO Check completed 24/09/2015, Medical Check completed 01/10/2015, currently completing a C100 removal from jurisdiction for my Stepson, looking to locate to Melbourne Berwick area with my family of five in early 2016.

Hi

I have motorhome Neisman & bischof Arto on a Fiat chassis is it difficult to get approval to import it to Australia Its a German make but a RHD .

No more difficult to get an import approval than it is for any other car. You can apply for it under its motorhome make/model or just under Fiat.

• 1 month later...

Hi Iron Chief, I'm a bit daunted by the depth of detail required to import vehicles, not least by the fact I can't yet provide most of it. I am working and renting in the UK as is my partner, I have had a Partner Visa app in progress since June and completed Police and Medical checks. I want to bring over my partners BMW Z3 worth around £2k and my Harley Davidson, worth about £7k. I have no docs to provide my residence, work or travel as yet and neither of us handed resignation letters in either. When do you advise we should start the process>?

I have been looking at the same details today @paganbronze all I can provide is a letter of redundancy and the sale particulars of my current property that is still for sale, one thing in my favour, I have Australian Bank Accounts.

I can provide V50, UK Driving License, Passport and PR Visa, but that's it.

The online document states you need a minimum of 100 points of information, but if they don't accept sale of house and redundancy, I've only got 25 points!

Cheers MT

Hi Iron Chief, I'm a bit daunted by the depth of detail required to import vehicles, not least by the fact I can't yet provide most of it. I am working and renting in the UK as is my partner, I have had a Partner Visa app in progress since June and completed Police and Medical checks. I want to bring over my partners BMW Z3 worth around £2k and my Harley Davidson, worth about £7k. I have no docs to provide my residence, work or travel as yet and neither of us handed resignation letters in either. When do you advise we should start the process>?

The biggest thing is that you have your visa sorted if you're not an Aussie citizen. After that, there are plenty of ways to meet the requirements (including a few we know about that aren't listed on the official documents list) that will show you're moving to Australia permanently. Start as soon as you have the visas and we can email back and forth until we have all we need.

Major Tom, both those documents will be worth 50 points each, you'll be fine.

I'm expecting my visa around June, my partner has dual nationality so will that make it easier for her to import her car?

I also have a Commonwealth Bank account with funds in it

Yep so your partner can apply any time from now, you will need to wait until June.

• 2 weeks later...

[h=2]Honda Civic IMA Hybrid 2003 & Peugot 206 2004[/h]

Hi IronChef

We are considering whether it is worth moving these two cars. Is there an idea of how much modifications I would expect to have to make upon arrival in Australia for such cars? Whuich category are talking about if you would be so kind to advise.

HTApokis

- Honda Civic IMA Hybrid Executive

- sedan

- 1.3 petrol

- manual

-
front wheel

- no special features or modification

- does have aircon

- based on private sale about 1100 pounds
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices.../?yearplate=72

- Peugot206

- sedan

- 1.3 deisel

- manual

-
front wheel

- does have aircon

I got your email, so I'll reply in more detail there, but basically, I'd consider bringing the Civic, and leave the 206 behind.

Honda Civic IMA Hybrid 2003 & Peugot 206 2004

Hi IronChef

We are considering whether it is worth moving these two cars. Is there an idea of how much modifications I would expect to have to make upon arrival in Australia for such cars? Whuich category are talking about if you would be so kind to advise.

HTApokis

- Honda Civic IMA Hybrid Executive

- sedan

- 1.3 petrol

- manual

-
front wheel

- does have aircon

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices.../?yearplate=72

- Peugot206

- sedan

- 1.3 deisel

- manual

-
front wheel

- does have aircon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

We have a Mercedes SLK, 2014, air con, automatic, diesel and convertible. It has very low mileage but will probably only be worth about £16000 by the time we come to move (which is a huge loss on what we paid!)

Would it be worth shipping?

Thanks

Hi

We have a Mercedes SLK, 2014, air con, automatic, diesel and convertible. It has very low mileage but will probably only be worth about £16000 by the time we come to move (which is a huge loss on what we paid!)

Would it be worth shipping?

Thanks

Yes it would, mainly because you can slow down the rate of depreciation if you hold on to it for another few years over here. Not to mention there are far many more days you can put the roof down!

Just a note on import permits I applied 27th January and received the permit today which was approved 10/02/16

My permit though is for an Australian plated vehicle originally taken from Oz to UK to return to Australia

They did only email the pink form and said they will send hard copy of a blue and white form to an address in Australia -luckily my family are all there so have such an address

I did think though what if it was a new immigrant with no Ausssie address what happens then?