Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Extremely roughly: based on

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-valuations/?N=2994+4294937167+4294843919+4294965618+4294193434+4294830947&search=1#ctl08_p_d_ctl08_cboMake=4294937167&ctl08_p_d_ctl08_cboModel=4294843919&ctl08_p_d_ctl08_cboYearMade=4294965618

the car would be worth around $100k so taxable as an import at maybe $70k and the tax would be (simplifying again) 15% of that, therefore in the vicinity of $10k and you'll have a one-off stamp duty to pay as well when registering the car (if in NSW: $3100 for an $80k value).

Thanks nsa, good info there.

So looking at 33% LCT and the other tax/duties that you mentioned plus shipping, does a total of $40k as the payables for exporting the car there sound reasonable?

Indeed i forgot LCT, 33% only on the fraction of value above $62k, that's another $2700 you have to pay.

Compliancing the DB9 may require only installing top tether anchors for child seats in the back, which may be as simple as screwing the parts on, or may need more substantial engineering work be done if the bolt holes where these attach are not present on your chassis. Keep this in mind in the total cost.

Check the picture of back seats here:

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Aston-Martin-DB9-2005/AGC-AD-17226374/?Cr=10

and you can see the anchor points above. That is what you'll have to get installed on yours.

Others will have to reply on the shipping cost and related services. But $40k ? It would seem to me more in the $20k range.

We assume your car is RHD of course.

Indeed i forgot LCT, 33% only on the fraction of value above $62k, that's another $2700 you have to pay.

Compliancing the DB9 may require only installing top tether anchors for child seats in the back, which may be as simple as screwing the parts on, or may need more substantial engineering work be done if the bolt holes where these attach are not present on your chassis. Keep this in mind in the total cost.

Check the picture of back seats here:

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Aston-Martin-DB9-2005/AGC-AD-17226374/?Cr=10

and you can see the anchor points above. That is what you'll have to get installed on yours.

Others will have to reply on the shipping cost and related services. But $40k ? It would seem to me more in the $20k range.

We assume your car is RHD of course.

Thanks nsa, I forgot that LCT is not on the entire customs value but the difference between that and $62k. Nice to know that LCT won't be $20k. :P

Oh, much appreciated on the heads-up regarding the tether anchor points. I may get this done in SG before shipping it over.

And yes, it is RHD, fortunately. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iron Chef,

I know this is an old thread but wanted some advice on a car import and possibly to get your services to make it happen.

We are moving permanently to Western Australia in March 2015 and all our stuff including our main car (my car) has been shipped. We didn't ship my wife's car and are now regretting it and want to ship it.

Ok, here's the details and the problems.

Firstly, it's a classic Rover Mini Cooper 1.3i made in 1994

I've owned it since 1999 and the V5 registration document is in my name.

The car however is my wife's and it's what she's been learning to drive in and will drive when she passes her test in the next few weeks.

I know there are rules on importing 1 car per person every 5 years but I've heard a lot of people on forums stating that they have successfully managed to demonstrate that although both cars may be registered to one person, one is actually the wife's car.

Hopefully you can help us get the little beauty (the car, not the wife!) to Oz!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Iron Chef,

i have a 1972 VW Campervan T2 and a 2003 Honda VTR SP2 bike that I wish to bring over, the camper has an insurance value in the UK for £20k and the bike is worth around £6k. On the valuation done in Aus, I am wondering if it is worth it, are the Aus values less, could I save myself the costs and hassle and buy once in Australia??

cheers MT

Edited by Major Tom
Year of motorbike

Hi Iron Chef,

I know this is an old thread but wanted some advice on a car import and possibly to get your services to make it happen.

We are moving permanently to Western Australia in March 2015 and all our stuff including our main car (my car) has been shipped. We didn't ship my wife's car and are now regretting it and want to ship it.

The car however is my wife's and it's what she's been learning to drive in and will drive when she passes her test in the next few weeks.

I know there are rules on importing 1 car per person every 5 years but I've heard a lot of people on forums stating that they have successfully managed to demonstrate that although both cars may be registered to one person, one is actually the wife's car.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Iron Chef,

Any update on NosEmOz's query about the Mini Cooper?

Cheers

[emoji3]

Oh, much appreciated on the heads-up regarding the tether anchor points. I may get this done in SG before shipping it over.

Actually this is a very interesting point that all readers of this thread may want to think about. If your car lands in Australia without the top tether anchor points, these will have to be installed by a certified engineer - even if all it takes is screw them on. If you do it yourself before the car ships, it will not be possible for the inspection to know whether or not they were factory fitted, and that will save you the engineer fee (as long as you do it properly of course). At least that is my experience with my Audi.

Apologies for my absence everyone - the last few weeks have been spent shuttling back and forth to Canberra meeting with ministers, senators and department heads over the future of car importing in Australia (with me lobbying, among other things, for personal imports to be easier to bring in). I'll post a pic at the bottom of me and Senator Ricky Muir (who I forced to do a bit of advertising haha - this is for Iron Chef Imports, the sister site to Iron Lady that handles Japanese imports).

Hi Iron Chef,

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, I'm hoping your wife made it to Oz! One of the documents your wife will need to provide in the application is her driver's licence to prove that she used the Mini while it was there, so it may be a tricky one. Car registration won't be a big issue if it's registered in your name. I'll email you in a tick so we can discuss it further.

Hi Iron Chef,

i have a 1972 VW Campervan T2 and a 2003 Honda VTR SP2 bike that I wish to bring over, the camper has an insurance value in the UK for £20k and the bike is worth around £6k. On the valuation done in Aus, I am wondering if it is worth it, are the Aus values less, could I save myself the costs and hassle and buy once in Australia??

cheers MT

Hi MT, in your circumstances I'd probably bring the camper and leave the bike behind. Bikes are fairly easy to ship but as a purely financial exercise, it's probably easier just to sell it there and buy one here. Early T2 campers are going up in price fairly rapidly these days so it's worth hanging on to, in my opinion.

Hi Iron Chef,

Any update on NosEmOz's query about the Mini Cooper?

Cheers

[emoji3]

See above :)

Actually this is a very interesting point that all readers of this thread may want to think about. If your car lands in Australia without the top tether anchor points, these will have to be installed by a certified engineer - even if all it takes is screw them on. If you do it yourself before the car ships, it will not be possible for the inspection to know whether or not they were factory fitted, and that will save you the engineer fee (as long as you do it properly of course). At least that is my experience with my Audi.

nsa cheers for holding the fort, I'm gonna have to give you a job at this rate! Engineering requirements vary from state to state - in SA for example, no certificate is required, but it has to be presented to TransportSA for inspection instead. Either way, whether the CRAs are fitted overseas or here isn't a huge cost savings (unless you have a mate who can do them for free overseas!). Bear in mind that if they get them wrong (and it's easy to do that), you end up with drill holes in your parcel shelf - and obviously you can't take it back to the overseas workshop for correcting.

10960248_770318166370758_7591574225999957607_o.jpg

10960248_770318166370758_7591574225999957607_o.jpg

Apologies for my absence everyone - the last few weeks have been spent shuttling back and forth to Canberra meeting with ministers, senators and department heads over the future of car importing in Australia (with me lobbying, among other things, for personal imports to be easier to bring in). I'll post a pic at the bottom of me and Senator Ricky Muir (who I forced to do a bit of advertising haha - this is for Iron Chef Imports, the sister site to Iron Lady that handles Japanese imports).

Hi Mark, I'm hoping your wife made it to Oz! One of the documents your wife will need to provide in the application is her driver's licence to prove that she used the Mini while it was there, so it may be a tricky one. Car registration won't be a big issue if it's registered in your name. I'll email you in a tick so we can discuss it further.

Hi MT, in your circumstances I'd probably bring the camper and leave the bike behind. Bikes are fairly easy to ship but as a purely financial exercise, it's probably easier just to sell it there and buy one here. Early T2 campers are going up in price fairly rapidly these days so it's worth hanging on to, in my opinion.

See above :)

nsa cheers for holding the fort, I'm gonna have to give you a job at this rate! Engineering requirements vary from state to state - in SA for example, no certificate is required, but it has to be presented to TransportSA for inspection instead. Either way, whether the CRAs are fitted overseas or here isn't a huge cost savings (unless you have a mate who can do them for free overseas!). Bear in mind that if they get them wrong (and it's easy to do that), you end up with drill holes in your parcel shelf - and obviously you can't take it back to the overseas workshop for correcting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28846[/ATTACH]

Thanks Iron Chef... Mark, my husband will get in touch and discuss it further with you ?

• 1 month later...
Guest colmarwatson

Does anyone know how easy/ expensive it is to move cars to Australia. We have a Lotus Elise that we would like to ship over and possibly a Lotus Elan which is a claasic car, but not sure that would be worth any more money in Oz?

I hear cars are expensive in Oz, but so is a lot of things by the sounds of it!

Thanks for any help

Does anyone know how easy/ expensive it is to move cars to Australia. We have a Lotus Elise that we would like to ship over and possibly a Lotus Elan which is a claasic car, but not sure that would be worth any more money in Oz?

Thanks for any help

Oddly enough, all the good Elans have been disappearing overseas (Japan and the UK) so the ones that are left here are fetching good money these days. Worth bringing, for sure, if only to go for a nice drive in the sunshine on a crisp Aussie autumn morning :) Feel free to contact us via the website in my signature for quotes.

Thanks for any help

Hi, just adding to the advice from Iron Chef, I'm a member of the Lotus Club of Victoria and good Elise and Elans are hard to come by. Some Elises can be imported under the SEVS scheme but the RAWS that do the compliance want close to $10K whereas if you bring yours under the PIS it would cost you less than that. If you have the early Elan, in good condition, then these are also good to bring in under the Pre-89 rules as there are few ADR's you would have to comply to if its built before 1973. It would be great to see some more Loti in Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just some advise please.

I have a 2008 lci bmw 530d msport in grey. High spec with most optional extra's in near new condition. Would it be worth my while taking this over? When I was over there I did notice German saloons / tourers fetched good money

Jump on the website if you want a breakdown of the numbers, but at face value yes it certainly looks like it's worth it. I love the M Sport diesel combo.

Hi, just some advise please.

I have a 2008 lci bmw 530d msport in grey. High spec with most optional extra's in near new condition. Would it be worth my while taking this over? When I was over there I did notice German saloons / tourers fetched good money

Hi should be making my way to the NT Darwin soon. What cars would you advise to bring in my wife has a 2008 tiguan and I was thinking of getting a range rover sport?

Range Rover Sport would be worth it if you're looking at something fairly recent, but bear in mind you'd need to own it for 12 months before you can bring it over which would effectively rule it out. As for the Tiguan, I'd suggest selling it in the UK, as it would be a break-even cost exercise at best.

Thank you. We were looking at the Tiguan as a drive till it dies type of thing but the range rover would not be recent. Would be about 8 or so years old. What cost guidelines can you give me roughly.

No worries, if you fill out the contact form on our website, I can send you through a breakdown of costs.

Jump on the website if you want a breakdown of the numbers, but at face value yes it certainly looks like it's worth it. I love the M Sport diesel combo.

Thanks for the info! i was also concerned about resale over there as dont they prefer the petrol cars?? I would think with the fuel prices over there the 3.0d would be ideal really and really economical! i also wanted to ask, with GM and ford stopping production in australia what is likely to happen to import tax's/dutys and rules?? is it likely to change soon?? Surely the cost of shipping cars into oz will have to come down

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this has been answered before or if it's a stupid question... I've had a quick search but not found the answer.

I have a lease car in the UK of which I am the registered keeper but not the registered owner. We are moving to NSW in September on a 457 visa and I have an option to buy the car from the lease company or give it back.

Does being the registered keeper for the last 30+ months qualify for import purposes?

i understand we would have to take it back to UK if we don't get PR, so would be for personal use not for profit!

It is a 2012 diesel Audi Q5 with 13000 miles on the clock.

My OH has a 2009 Audi A4 cabriolet which he has owned for 4 years - we're considering bringing that one too. Unfortunately it has 4 seats and we are now a family of 5!

Thanks in advance!

Apologies if this has been answered before or if it's a stupid question... I've had a quick search but not found the answer.

I have a lease car in the UK of which I am the registered keeper but not the registered owner. We are moving to NSW in September on a 457 visa and I have an option to buy the car from the lease company or give it back.

Does being the registered keeper for the last 30+ months qualify for import purposes?

i understand we would have to take it back to UK if we don't get PR, so would be for personal use not for profit!

It is a 2012 diesel Audi Q5 with 13000 miles on the clock.

My OH has a 2009 Audi A4 cabriolet which he has owned for 4 years - we're considering bringing that one too. Unfortunately it has 4 seats and we are now a family of 5!

Thanks in advance!

Not a silly question at all, and welcome! You can still apply for personal import approval if you have a letter from your employer/registered owner saying the vehicle was provided to you during employment for your sole use.