Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

Hi Iron Chef. I'm looking to import a 2006 Mini Cooper S Convertible with all our household items. We have booked a removal firm who will put the car in the container with our stuff. Do you provide a service to get the car into Australia and then registered and on the road. It seem like the customs paperwork is a nightmare. Are you able to help? If so what are the costs involved.

Cheers Paul

Guest orangepeelskin

it would be cheaper if you strip the car into parts and call them household goods. Mark the engine "kitchen" body panels "bathroom" etc. Then assemble car over here. "mini kitchen" minibathroom". If the oil leaks out, it is cooking oil from a bbq.

Hi Iron Chef,

Great thread

We're finally migrating to Melbourne in August.

I've got a late 2005 BMW 530d Msport; 65k miles; fully loaded; owned from new

Wife's got a 2001 BMW 325i se; 80k miles; failry standard spec; bought second hand.

Whats your view on these two.

I'm guessing that the 530d's a yes as its a cracking motor. Not so sure about the 325i.

What's your gut feel with these two.

Thanks

Joker

WOW what a post !! and yes I have read all 16 pages!!

We currently have a lovely Audi A3 3.2 Quattro Sport with the DSG (108k miles) . It is worth about £5k in the UK. Do we ship it or do we sell it and buy an Audi A4 estate Sport and ship that across? The audi is an 04 and the A4 would be an 07 (50k miles)

We love our Audi but the costs of them in Oz are mental and we would never afford one?

We are not planning on moving until Next Easter so the 12 month ownership would not be an issue if we buy in the next few weeks.

Thanking you in advance x

Thanks for the advice you gave us a month or so ago Ironchef. I applied for permits for both my cars despite them both being in my name and have just received them in the post.

Am now trying to decide whether to send the RORO or in a container and wondered if you or anyone has any thoughts on the benefits/pitfalls of either service.

Also, is there anywhere I can obtain a list of the compliance requirements for vehicles in Victoria. I would prefer to get the work done at this end if possible so I'm not held over a barrell regarding price.

I'll be taking a 97 XK8 and a 2005 Kia Sorento on LPG over.

Starting to feel a bit queasy at the cost of it all if I'm being honest!!! :eek:

Cheers

Spencer

Hi Iron Chef,

Great thread

We're finally migrating to Melbourne in August.

I've got a late 2005 BMW 530d Msport; 65k miles; fully loaded; owned from new

Wife's got a 2001 BMW 325i se; 80k miles; failry standard spec; bought second hand.

Whats your view on these two.

I'm guessing that the 530d's a yes as its a cracking motor. Not so sure about the 325i.

What's your gut feel with these two.

Thanks

Joker

Hi Joker,

It's a yes for the 530d for sure. I still reckon the 325i is worth bringing over, if it was a 330i or 335i it would've been a definite yes, and if it was a 318i it would've been a probably not. If you love it and enjoy it, then it's probably worth doing.

WOW what a post !! and yes I have read all 16 pages!!

We currently have a lovely Audi A3 3.2 Quattro Sport with the DSG (108k miles) . It is worth about £5k in the UK. Do we ship it or do we sell it and buy an Audi A4 estate Sport and ship that across? The audi is an 04 and the A4 would be an 07 (50k miles)

We love our Audi but the costs of them in Oz are mental and we would never afford one?

We are not planning on moving until Next Easter so the 12 month ownership would not be an issue if we buy in the next few weeks.

Thanking you in advance x

Check the market value of both cars in Australia and then decide whether it's better to switch now or when you get to Oz. You're in a good position of having 12 months before you head over - go back through the thread and find my small list of cars I suggested that will make good money over here. You might be able to bring something over and make enough to afford an A4 and still have a bit of spending money left over if you choose wisely!

Thanks for the advice you gave us a month or so ago Ironchef. I applied for permits for both my cars despite them both being in my name and have just received them in the post.

Am now trying to decide whether to send the RORO or in a container and wondered if you or anyone has any thoughts on the benefits/pitfalls of either service.

Also, is there anywhere I can obtain a list of the compliance requirements for vehicles in Victoria. I would prefer to get the work done at this end if possible so I'm not held over a barrell regarding price.

I'll be taking a 97 XK8 and a 2005 Kia Sorento on LPG over.

Starting to feel a bit queasy at the cost of it all if I'm being honest!!! :eek:

Cheers

Spencer

Hi Spencer,

Because of the size (volume to be more accurate) of the Kia, it's probably worth looking at packing the pair in a container, as much as I prefer using RO-RO normally.

If you get in touch with VicRoads, they may be able to supply the list of requirements, but they normally just handball it over to an engineer to sign off on it anyway. The more recent the car, the less that has to be done usually. To be honest, I wouldn't bother getting the work done there, as it generally only works out to about $500AUD worth of work.

PS I will be on here to chat and answer your questions on Tuesday March 22, 8-10pm UK time (although take pity on me, because it's like 6:30-8:30am my time!!)

Many thanks Iron Chef for all of your advice on this topic. This is a really helpful thread.

We connected briefly in the chat room and I mentioned that I had a Mazda 5 which sadly has never been released into the Oz market. I like the car a lot but not so much that I would be happy to get stuck with a big loss when we come to sell it. Selling a car that no-one has heard of will not be easy and I dont fancy doing that.

Given that we are not coming out for about 18 months we have time to buy an alternative and bring that with us instead. We would need another family car with big boot etc and am wondering if you have any advice about particular makes/models that could make export a lucrative option.

We will be brining our furniture out also so am also curious to know whether I am best to bring the car in a container or RORO?

Many thanks

Guest journeydownunder
Hmmm this is a tricky one - I would err on the side of caution and say that you probably won't qualify to bring your car over as a personal import if you haven't qualified beforehand.

There are provisions for tourists/temp visa holders to bring their cars into Australia with them, but only for the purposes of using them while they are in the country, and they must show evidence that the car will be leaving the country again before they get given an import approval. Obviously they can't sell it while they're hear either.

The big question is whether or not the time you used your car while you're here on a temp visa qualifies as part of your 12 month qualifying period for a personal import. I suspect the answer would be no, but if you can convince someone in Canberra to say yes, then I'd be very interested to hear about it! Either way you'd have to export and re-import the vehicle, which would be fairly annoying.

Hi Ironchef

I am due to start a job in Canberra on the 4th July ons 457. We will also have submitted our 176 by then too. We want to bring our car with us but I bought it on the 30th June last year so we are right on the margin of 12 months. Is the 12 months up until you physically leave the UK or when you arrive in Oz or at point of application? Of something else? Bottom line, are we going to be able to take our car and still get there before the 4th July?

Your expert advice would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

Emma

Guest rickpresti

Hi iron Chef, great information, I have already been living in OZ but moved back to Uk with the missus last year. I have owned a Audi TT Quattro 2001 225bhp (Mint condition), 27,00 Miles on the clock for over a year and am looking to import it with me when I come back next year.

2 Questions, one is it worth my while shipping over in your opinion, will probably keep the car and run it into the ground due to the low mileage?

2nd question is as I already have a aussie licence, Bank account and tax file number do I just need to show proof of this, I would need to reapply for Medicare, but am due back in oz for a holiday at the end of this year.

Cheers in advance

Many thanks Iron Chef for all of your advice on this topic. This is a really helpful thread.

We connected briefly in the chat room and I mentioned that I had a Mazda 5 which sadly has never been released into the Oz market. I like the car a lot but not so much that I would be happy to get stuck with a big loss when we come to sell it. Selling a car that no-one has heard of will not be easy and I dont fancy doing that.

Given that we are not coming out for about 18 months we have time to buy an alternative and bring that with us instead. We would need another family car with big boot etc and am wondering if you have any advice about particular makes/models that could make export a lucrative option.

We will be brining our furniture out also so am also curious to know whether I am best to bring the car in a container or RORO?

Many thanks

Ok I had a quick look, I reckon a BMW 3-series or 5-series wagon would be a pretty safe bet, but choose a diesel or the biggest petrol engine you can afford. M5 wagon? :wubclub:

Otherwise any Subaru STi Impreza or Legacy wagon that was a limited edition in the UK are good choices. Mitsubishi Evolution wagon? Not sure if you got those there.

Hi Ironchef

I am due to start a job in Canberra on the 4th July ons 457. We will also have submitted our 176 by then too. We want to bring our car with us but I bought it on the 30th June last year so we are right on the margin of 12 months. Is the 12 months up until you physically leave the UK or when you arrive in Oz or at point of application? Of something else? Bottom line, are we going to be able to take our car and still get there before the 4th July?

Your expert advice would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

Emma

Hi Emma, provided you meet the 12 month period before you fly over, then you can apply up to a month before that point. They do make small (and I mean SMALL) allowances for people to take overseas holidays from your UK home during that 12 month period. If you're away for more than 2 weeks though (that's total, not per trip), they will expect you to add that time on to your 12 month qualification period, so it probably depends more on how much you've been out of the country in the last 12 months more than anything.

Hi iron Chef, great information, I have already been living in OZ but moved back to Uk with the missus last year. I have owned a Audi TT Quattro 2001 225bhp (Mint condition), 27,00 Miles on the clock for over a year and am looking to import it with me when I come back next year.

2 Questions, one is it worth my while shipping over in your opinion, will probably keep the car and run it into the ground due to the low mileage?

2nd question is as I already have a aussie licence, Bank account and tax file number do I just need to show proof of this, I would need to reapply for Medicare, but am due back in oz for a holiday at the end of this year.

Cheers in advance

Hi Rick, yes it's worth bringing over, particularly if you enjoy using it. Have I already listed the documentation required for the 100 points of evidence in here? If not, let me know and I will do so.

Guest stevesmith101

Hi Iron Chef

Was wondering if you could give me a bit of advise on weather to import my 2009 Honda CRV diesel with 10 000 miles on the clock

I have owned it for over 1 year but I am the main visa applicant and the car is in my wife's name

I paid 20k for it 1 year ago and cant work out all the costs of importing it to Oz could you please point me in the right direction and advise me on the total costs to import it I already have a price for shipping thanks

Hi Steve,

I can't find anything to suggest the CR-V was sold in Australia in diesel at any stage, so I would only recommend it if you plan to keep it for a fair while, parts may be an issue.

If you'd still like a quote, shoot me an email :)

Cheers

Kristian

Guest china

Hi Kristian

I was just wondering how strict the 12 month ownership is? We have to enter Oz by 1st march and I acqured the car on the 5th March, so I will be about a week out - will this (in your experience) be ok?

Cheers, China

Hi Kristian

Can you adivise if it is worth bringing over a 2007 Freelander 2 GS, approx 20k miles.

Thanks

Claire

Hi Claire. Im also a Clare wiht a Freelander and wish to bring mine over . Can i ask you are you able to get a ro ro service in ireland or are you doing a container.?? Cant bear the tought of seing mine! By the way im in Ireland too