SMP Countdown

claireg

Friday 29 to Saturday 30 October 2010

From 9 pm on Friday 29 October to 5 am on Saturday 30 October 2010 AEDT (GMT + 11).

The following systems may become unavailable during the above times:

• eLodgement (eVisa and Citizenship)
  • Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)
  • LEGENDcom

Should you receive a 'Server 500' error message during this time you are encouraged to try again after 5 am on Saturday 30 October 2010 AEDT (GMT + 11).

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VickyMel

Oh, oh, oh...

Not sure but I think VIC changed their wording on the web site?

I think it used to say something to the effect that the SMP will not be implemented until after 1st Novermber.

Current wording is

"The new arrangements will be in place after 1 November 2010"

I hope that I have it right - but that does sound positive it it is. Am so worried VIC will miss the deadline before their elections and then VIC SS would have to wait while they were in 'caretaker mode'.

Fingers crossed for next week.

Maybe if it is all happening they could announce it now so that we all have a smiley weekend? :jiggy:

(Edit just typed that and sat here and remembered that a load of us are also likely to get bad news if we are not on the SMP :cry: - myself included fingers crossed everyone - for those of us that don't make it at least we know where we stand and can start looking at a few alternative hoops to see if we can jump again)

2 more work days and a weekend hopefully to go - thanks for the countdown Claire.

VickyMel

(Edit just typed that and sat here and remembered that a load of us are also likely to get bad news if we are not on the SMP :cry: - myself included fingers crossed everyone - for those of us that don't make it at least we know where we stand and can start looking at a few alternative hoops to see if we can jump again)

Hi Vicky Mel,

I am in the same sitaution as you, having SS and in Priority 4 at the moment.

But i am just thinking, who will be filling the quote of 23,000 state sponsored? Ok, they will approve new applicants under SMP and new rules, but i also tend to believe that finally all the other state sponsored people (those applicants who got sponosrship back in 2008-09) will be granted their visas. As there is no sence of filling the quota with only new applicants under SMP. 23,000 is much more places for SS than ever was planned, so i really think that finally they will deal with this backlog of all SS people in order to fill the quota. I don't believe that 23,000 will be filled among the new applicants under SMP. there is no sence of ignoring the state sponsorship that was granted before this idea came with SMP.

So, all state sponsored under old and new rules, please stay positive as i am sure we will be the ones who will be getting our visas in 2010-2011.

Nata

:notworthy:

Guest VickyMel

Hi Nata

Thanks for the positive thoughts and you are right we should stay positive until we know what (if anything - as we still don't know for sure) is going to happen :radar:.

I'm just a very negative thinker - like to think the worst so that (hopefully) it can only get better :twitcy: - so don't let my thoughts counteract the positive thoughts out there its just me (and I am a bit OTT and screwed up by this whole process :embarrassed:)!

Unfortunately, I think there are more than 23000 SS already granted and waiting - its a pity we can't find out the figures - but I have seen figures suggesting for example WA has 9000 waiting SS applicants (but then again some states have very few - so maybe I am very wrong)?

Plus some of us just aren't going to be on the new SMP occupation lists - therefore unlikely to move up.

But hopefully DIAC will process in application order like they have with the Cat 3 applicants and that will be good and fair.

I totally agree that the states have already spent all that time and energy in selecting SS applicants and that it makes perfect sense for those with occupations on the new SMP lists to go straight over and get sorted (and DIACs notice a while back also suggested that would be the case).

Good luck Nata & all of us.

VickyMel

I wonder whether WA will get 9000 places?!

I hope whatever they do,they will do in date of original lodgement order! For once I'll be at the front of the queue!!

There us part if me that's worried about the ielts and the cap and cease policy that is still very much talked about!

Vickymel I know your a knowledgable girl! What are your views on it?

Guest VickyMel
Vickymel I know your a knowledgable girl!

:biglaugh: sorry Jodie - let me dry my eyes from laughing!

I wonder whether WA will get 9000 places?!

I hope whatever they do,they will do in date if original lodgement order! For once I'll be at the front of the queue!!

There us part if me that's worried about the ielts and the cap and cease policy that is still very much talked about!

Vickymel I know your a knowledgable girl! What are your views on it?

My guess is that WA will be able to push for a load of places given the number of jobs they want - plus in the past they were livid and pushy and vocal with the government when SS lost priority.

They want people and want them yesterday - so I suspect they have pushed DIAC very hard for a load of places - and may get them.

Some states really don't seem to want/need that many.

It looks as if DIAC is operating more by the date of application rule (which was not the case at one time) so I hope that they clear a load of the old dinosaurs through the SMPs pretty darn quick - and given that they have cleared a load of the Cat 3 oldies that would hopefully mean there would be fewer older applicants on the SMP lists (given you now can't attach a new SS to an old application that stock should not increase at it did in the past - although that is a pain for those who applied ages ago and have the ability to get SS).

Iteresting days - and Nata is right I should have more positive thoughts on the matter (Aaagh my negative side is screaming at me not to risk them :laugh:).

VickyMel

:biglaugh: sorry Jodie - let me dry my eyes from laughing!

My guess is that WA will be able to push for a load of places given the number of jobs they want - plus in the past they were livid and pushy and vocal with the government when SS lost priority.

They want people and want them yesterday - so I suspect they have pushed DIAC very hard for a load of places - and may get them.

Some states really don't seem to want/need that many.

It looks as if DIAC is operating more by the date of application rule (which was not the case at one time) so I hope that they clear a load of the old dinosaurs through the SMPs pretty darn quick - and given that they have cleared a load of the Cat 3 oldies that would hopefully mean there would be fewer older applicants on the SMP lists (given you now can't attach a new SS to an old application that stock should not increase at it did in the past - although that is a pain for those who applied ages ago and have the ability to get SS).

Iteresting days - and Nata is right I should have more positive thoughts on the matter (Aaagh my negative side is screaming at me not to risk them :laugh:).

VickyMel

Well me being nice to you was my one good deed for the day!!!

It's good to see that the cat 3s are moving but I still don't beleive they are going at full working rate! Vickymel you must remember summer 09 they were storming through weren't they??

You must stay positive on the SMP front! Very little has been said on those with SS regardless of what catergory they sit in.

Guest VickyMel

It's good to see that the cat 3s are moving but I still don't beleive they are going at full working rate! Vickymel you must remember summer 09 they were storming through weren't they?? .

Oh yes it really was great -

Everything was moving so fast June 09 we had applied for our SS

with everything going so fast throughout the following months by September 09 we were just waiting for our SS to come through.

I had already put in for our PCCs...

Me and OH were talking about getting out Meds done to front load with the application

Things were going so fast... we were hoping to be in Oz by Jan 2010.

(The Cat 3 thread at the moment is going pretty wonderfully as well - really nice to see)

I think the problem for DIAC is that each time the gov changes the priorities everything gets switched around and it takes them time to sort all the files - you have to feel sorry for the DIAC folks - but they can steam along when given the chance.

Unfortunately, I think there are more than 23000 SS already granted and waiting - its a pity we can't find out the figures

Hi Vicky Mel,

Where did you get this number from? 23000 SS already granted? I remember that there were 3500 non finalized SS applications which were as of December 2009. It was the time when DIAC started to look into the Cat 5 (SS) applications. Considering that some SS visas were granted in 2009-2010 programm year and new State Sponsorships for new applicants were closed for several months (at least SA closed their system from May till September 2010) i do not think that the SS applicants increased from 3500 to 23000 pending applications. So it's really interesting to know why do you think that are more than 23000 SS already granted and waiting

- but I have seen figures suggesting for example WA has 9000 waiting SS applicants (but then again some states have very few - so maybe I am very wrong)?

I think that WA may have much more SS applicants than the other states, and i agree with you that the other states have less SS pending applications. But again, 9000 SS applications is pretty big amount, comparing to the number of approx 3500 non finalized SS applications which were as on Dec 2009

-I totally agree that the states have already spent all that time and energy in selecting SS applicants and that it makes perfect sense for those with occupations on the new SMP lists to go straight over and get sorted (and DIACs notice a while back also suggested that would be the case).

I hope that they will push the old SS applicants whom the states spent the energy and time in 2008-2009 in order to clear the backlog of SS. I also think that DIAC will be dealing with the new applications under SMP, as these occupations are in a high demand.

What i have heard is that the States really want their old SS applicants to get their visas.

We'll see then! Not long time to wait

:hug:

Nata

Guest VickyMel

Hi Nata

My thoughts that the 23000 probably already taken up by the old SS applicants was purely my speculation given a few comments made recently. I think I remember reading one of the migration agents commenting on it when DIAC announced the quota for SMPs (but my memory is not what it used to be - especially on all the numbers going back and forth and I may be remembering very badly! :eek: I often do).

The figure of 9000 for WA was something said the other day (I think by a migration agent) that rumour was that that was the sort of numbers they had waiting with SS granted.

You are correct there was a figure relating to the number of outstanding SS applications - maybe it was 3500 - but I think that it was dated at something like Sept/Nov or earlier in 2009 - and at that time as Jodie points out things were going so quickly and loads of people were being given SS after that until it was all stopped - can't remember Jan/Fab?

There were threads bouncing the numbers around back then and the number of SS applications was massive... but I can't remember how many.

But hopefully you are right with this track of thinking (and that I am completely off the mark) - the difference between 3500 and 23000 is massive.

VickyMel

Just found this

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/96651-state-migration-plans-planning-levels-4.html#post876073

"I understand that the carve up of the 23,000 places between the states means that most states have approved more sponsorship applications than they can fill in the next 12 months"

I think that is probably where the idea came from

Perhaps WA will have to be alot stricter if the figures are alot higher than the yearly quota. The new processing rules did say that if you lodged before July 1st to expect your visa by end December 2011.

"I understand that the carve up of the 23,000 places between the states means that most states have approved more sponsorship applications than they can fill in the next 12 months"

I think that is probably where the idea came from

Yes, i agree. But hopefully this is now under the control and they will not be issuing the SS more that the places in the year quota of each state, which means that at least it may help to clear all this backlog that occured after Sep 23, 2009

It also seems that getting sponosrship nowdays is more difficult, than it was even in 2009, so now they will be strictly selecting people to grant SS.

Anyway, my only hope is that DIAC will start clearing the backlog of SS and i hope that pending SS is less than 23,000 so that we all can get the visas this year!

I also hope that those applicants will not be ceased but put on hold till the next year once the occupation has reached the planning level! (But then the backlog may appear again) :arghh:

Good luck to all of us

Nata :hug:

Unfortunately, I think there are more than 23000 SS already granted and waiting - its a pity we can't find out the figures

Hi Vicky Mel,

Where did you get this number from? 23000 SS already granted? I remember that there were 3500 non finalized SS applications which were as of December 2009. It was the time when DIAC started to look into the Cat 5 (SS) applications. Considering that some SS visas were granted in 2009-2010 programm year and new State Sponsorships for new applicants were closed for several months (at least SA closed their system from May till September 2010) i do not think that the SS applicants increased from 3500 to 23000 pending applications. So it's really interesting to know why do you think that are more than 23000 SS already granted and waiting

- but I have seen figures suggesting for example WA has 9000 waiting SS applicants (but then again some states have very few - so maybe I am very wrong)?

I think that WA may have much more SS applicants than the other states, and i agree with you that the other states have less SS pending applications. But again, 9000 SS applications is pretty big amount, comparing to the number of approx 3500 non finalized SS applications which were as on Dec 2009

-I totally agree that the states have already spent all that time and energy in selecting SS applicants and that it makes perfect sense for those with occupations on the new SMP lists to go straight over and get sorted (and DIACs notice a while back also suggested that would be the case).

I hope that they will push the old SS applicants whom the states spent the energy and time in 2008-2009 in order to clear the backlog of SS. I also think that DIAC will be dealing with the new applications under SMP, as these occupations are in a high demand.

What i have heard is that the States really want their old SS applicants to get their visas.

We'll see then! Not long time to wait

:hug:

Nata

yes you are right about 09 December ss allocation numbers was 3500. But this is main applicants number but we don,t know how many dependent's applicant so it might be higher than 3,500

thanks

Dhani

Guest VickyMel
Perhaps WA will have to be alot stricter if the figures are alot higher than the yearly quota. The new processing rules did say that if you lodged before July 1st to expect your visa by end December 2011.

And the end of the "visa" year is end of June - so by Dec 2011 we would hopefully have 23000 plus maybe half of next years quota allocation.

It also seems that getting sponosrship nowdays is more difficult, than it was even in 2009, so now they will be strictly selecting people to grant SS.

Yes if states are on quotas they will be stricter in granting them so hopefully the mess should not continue and maybe - just maybe - the visa situation will be under some sort of control and not have to change again in the next few months.

yes you are right about 09 December ss allocation numbers was 3500. But this is main applicants number but we don,t know how many dependent's applicant so it might be higher than 3,500

thanks

Dhani

Yes - not knowing whether the figures include dependents visas or not is always very confusing!

Just seen this new thread relating to ACT maybe on the brink of releasing their SMP. :biggrin:

Wish all the states were as fotrthcoming as ACT.

State Government Victoria: Caretaker Period

29 October 2010

Department websites and other websites maintained or funded by the State

As the Victorian State election will be held on Saturday 27 November 2010, the Victorian Government has assumed a caretaker role from 2 November.

During the caretaker period, content will only be added to this website in accordance with the caretaker conventions.

img-printer-icon.gif

Guidelines on the Caretaker Conventions

The Victorian state election will be held on Saturday 27 November 2010.

During the period preceding an election, it is accepted that the Government assumes a ‘caretaker role’. The practices followed by successive Governments in conducting government business during the caretaker period are known as the ‘caretaker conventions’.

The business of government continues throughout the caretaker period, and ordinary matters of administration still need to be addressed. However, the caretaker conventions seek to ensure that during the caretaker period the Government does not take action that will bind a future government.

The Department of Premier and Cabinet has developed the Guidelines on the Caretaker Conventions, to provide information and guidance on the conventions that apply during the caretaker period.

The Guidelines can be accessed below.

Guest VickyMel

Yep - as I mentioned on another thread - VIC & DIAC knew that this state election was coming on the 2nd Nov - I really hoped they tried to get the SMPs sorted out in time and ready to go on the 1st.

As much as it it is only fair that if there is a new party taking over they should get the chance to make the decision - I would hope that the reality of the situation is that the people that have done all the work in getting the SMP together and agreed are the ones whichever party was in power would listen to anyway.

One more working say left for vic to announce their SMP!

I hope they all release on Monday so it's fair on everyone as I think as soon as one state releases their SMP the cat 3s will stop straightaway.

WA have been sooo quiet,so I'll be shocked if anything is released on Monday.

Guest VickyMel

I think all of the States have been pretty quiet except for ACT.

But maybe it is because they want a rest before we all start bugging them!

I hope it is not just that we have been winding ourselves up with too much hope. Other than ACT there has not been many more good rumours coming out...

It must be 3 days to go now - then I suppose they have all day on Monday

State Government Victoria: Caretaker Period

29 October 2010

Department websites and other websites maintained or funded by the State

As the Victorian State election will be held on Saturday 27 November 2010, the Victorian Government has assumed a caretaker role from 2 November.

During the caretaker period, content will only be added to this website in accordance with the caretaker conventions.

I wondered why they chose a tuesday for the caretaker government to come into effect, (why not from the beginning of the week??) I did think maybe the monday was a public holidy, but no in fact tuesday is. Me-thinks they have left Monday for the all important announcement:wink:

Archived