Going on Holiday

tracy123

I often wonder why when people come over to the UK for their fix do they come over in the summer months, when the sun is shining, the days are long and the pubs are full.

Now don’t get me wrong I understand why you do it, but aren’t you just teasing yourself? Why not head over in January, after Christmas is finished the buzz has died off and you are left with just the wet, wind, snow (if you’re lucky) and bitter cold. When only the die hard venture out, and the roads are horrendous.

You leave Australia at its worst (weather wise) and get to the UK at its best, to me if you have got thoughts of wanting to come back it’s a no brainer…… The UK it is please.

I know the weather is not the be all and end all of why people return, and it would be wrong for me to suggest that, but I just think that being able to go out and live in the place you want to be helps, where if it was peeing down and every time you went out you got soaked, the kids were stuck inside etc would you be in so much of a rush?

I’ve been on PIO a few years now, and I’ve noticed that most people return or make plans to return while Australia is in winter, most negative posts from either country comes in the winter where the positive, content, happy posts will take place while the sun is shining.

Anyway these are just my observations and I’m not trying to question anyone’s reasons in a negative way.

All the best

Geoffrey

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Good point Tracy

Only joking Geoff. I can't say anything because i went to Australia twice for a month in summer and YES i found it to be fantastic, would i have felt the same if i went in the Oz winter........... probably not.

Good point Tracy

Only joking Geoff. I can't say anything because i went to Australia twice for a month in summer and YES i found it to be fantastic, would i have felt the same if i went in the Oz winter........... probably not.

I was thinking about the reverse while writting this post. I think some need to come over in the height of summer as it can be a killer, I think no matter what, you should see a place at it's worst (whether that be in summer or winter depending on who you are) and if you're still happy well at least you know what to expect. :wubclub:

Geoff I was over in the UK again 2 years ago and came in November as it was cheaper to take my two teenagers with me at that time of the year. We had to have some coats on of course, and after 5pm it was a bit windy and chilly, but the days were pleasant enough sunny and crisp, didn't have rain at all mostly.

Geoff I was over in the UK again 2 years ago and came in November as it was cheaper to take my two teenagers with me at that time of the year. We had to have some coats on of course, and after 5pm it was a bit windy and chilly, but the days were pleasant enough sunny and crisp, didn't have rain at all mostly.

I'd still say england is at its most depressing around jan and feb

Leaving at lunch time (and still not packed but filling in time waiting for my next appointment to arrive) and so will be experiencing the best of Oct/Nov this time - shouldnt be a problem

Was over in Feb/Mar this year and the weather was really nice for the most part, except for the snow in Yorkshire one weekend.

When I was working and the kids were young we had to come in December because of the school holidays, nowadays I tend to come when the fares are cheap and there is something important going on in our family.

Guest guest30038

It will be next year.................the missus will be there in jan and she's enough to make anyone depressed :biglaugh:

kev

Good point Tracy

Oi, you!! Our winters in North Qld are better than the UK summers...:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Good post, Geoffrey. No one's going to knock the desire to fly into summer for a holiday but I do think people give it a fair bit more thought when they think of moving back. Still, if the desire to return to England ever came over me, I'd go back for a winter holiday just to be sure that I was sure!

On a side note, I came over to experience a Tas-style Aussie winter* here three times before I moved so I could better understand what it is like to live here. It was an easy way to shake off the holiday feel that comes over you when you come over for a summer break.

Edited to add: I hope you have a safe flight and a lovely holiday, Quoll. :)

*I also came here to experience summer and autumn so tried every season bar spring before I made the move a permanent one.

Yep sure is, on a freezing February night, walking from the train station to my place in North Finchley was terrible especially when I stayed back at work and didn't get home till 8pm, frozen to the bone.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I'd still say england is at its most depressing around jan and feb mar apr may june sept oct nov dec jan feb

:biglaugh::yes::laugh::cry:

Avg. precipitation days 8.3 7.4 9.3 11.4 13.9 14.1 15.1 15.6 14.7 14.1 11.7 10.4 146

according to your sources :cute:

Yep, an average of 15 more rainy days...BUT the average Melbourne rainfall is 650 mm.

The UK average is 838.0 mm:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Maka Paka

I'm in Scotland(Was Brisbane),I think it has rained for two days here in the last 3 month(I know because I work outside in it and notice).

But apart from that I think the reason people come back in the good weather is to escape the cold in Australia and experience a few long summer nights in Britain(Which are good and they don't get in Australia).

I agree Jan and Feb are crap months for weather,but I like the diversity of the weather here in Britain...It certainly isn't bad enough to kill you but it's not great,it has that feel of "Springs just around the corner" to look forward to!

Guest guest36762

Its Groundhog day

Theres no need to be afraid

On Groundhog Day

We let in tripe

And we apportion blame

And in our world of venting

We can really be annoying

Hold you arms around the world

On Groundhog Day!

Guest chris955

It's just commonsense, I wouldn't suggest someone go to the UK mid winter (although the cold doesn't bother me personally) but I wouldn't recommend going to Melbourne mid winter either or Darwin or Cairns mid summer.

Archived