State Sponsorship and State Migration Plan confusion

inception

If I have state sponsorship and applied for an 886 right now, provided that my occupation is on the State Migration Plan which is yet to be released, will I be elevated to priority processing 2 ahead of all the category 3 applicants once the State Migration Plan is out?... or do I need to re-apply for another 886 after the State Migration Plan is released in order to move to category 2?

If I have state sponsorship and applied for an 886 right now, provided that my occupation is on the State Migration Plan which is yet to be released, will I be elevated to priority processing 2 ahead of all the category 3 applicants once the State Migration Plan is out?... or do I need to re-apply for another 886 after the State Migration Plan is released in order to move to category 2?

Yes you will be promoted to a higher priority, this is what most of states say but not yet confirmed

Regards

Guest AustrAnglian

DIAC's exact words to define category 2 priority are as follows:

Applications from people who are nominated by a state or territory government agency with a nominated occupation that is specified on that state or territory’s state migration plan

See link: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/priority-processing-14-july-2010.pdf

It doesn't say you have to be on the SMP at the date of your application. It says while your occupation is on the SMP and you have SS you are cat 2. Maybe wishful interpretation on my part!

DIAC's exact words to define category 2 priority are as follows:

Applications from people who are nominated by a state or territory government agency with a nominated occupation that is specified on that state or territory’s state migration plan

See link: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/priority-processing-14-july-2010.pdf

It doesn't say you have to be on the SMP at the date of your application. It says while your occupation is on the SMP you are cat 2. Maybe wishful interpretation on my part!

It was a tricky one!

I've never noticed this in DIAC's explanation

Thanks

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi inception

In one of your first posts on Poms in Oz you said you had applied for a sc 885 visa on 30th August 2010.

Are you thinking of making a second application for an sc 886 visa as well?

Do you have a migration agent, please?

Cheers

Gill

Hi inception

In one of your first posts on Poms in Oz you said you had applied for a sc 885 visa on 30th August 2010.

Are you thinking of making a second application for an sc 886 visa as well?

Do you have a migration agent, please?

Cheers

Gill

No, i do not have a migration agent... and yes I am thinking of switching to an 886. Maybe I am being stupid. oh well!

Guest Gollywobbler
No, i do not have a migration agent... and yes I am thinking of switching to an 886. Maybe I am being stupid. oh well!

Hi inception

As I understand it, some of the rules were changed on 1st July 2010. After that date, it is no longer possible to switch between the offshore sc 175 visa and the offshore sc 176 visa. It always used to be possible because both visas are in Class VE but apparently the Government chose to meddle with the details in order to prevent people from making later choices unless they also make a second visa application and pay full VAC for the second application.

With the onshore sc 885 and 886 visas, I don't know whether a similar rule came in to force. Do you know?

If you don't know either then I suspect that it would be worth asking a Registered Migration Agent about this.

At the same time, it would be worth asking whether a second application would have to be made on paper and sent by post? I've heard vaguely that once Bloggs has applied for one of the GSM visas electronically, the e-visa system chokes if the same person is then named as the main applicant in another application for a different subclass of GSM visa, so the second application has to be completed on paper and submitted by post. Again, I've heard this about offshore GSM visas but I don't know whether the same thing is true with the onshore GSM visas.

I'd suggest that you check the whole thing out carefully if you are not sure.

Cheers

Gill

Hi inception

As I understand it, some of the rules were changed on 1st July 2010. After that date, it is no longer possible to switch between the offshore sc 175 visa and the offshore sc 176 visa. It always used to be possible because both visas are in Class VE but apparently the Government chose to meddle with the details in order to prevent people from making later choices unless they also make a second visa application and pay full VAC for the second application.

With the onshore sc 885 and 886 visas, I don't know whether a similar rule came in to force. Do you know?

If you don't know either then I suspect that it would be worth asking a Registered Migration Agent about this.

At the same time, it would be worth asking whether a second application would have to be made on paper and sent by post? I've heard vaguely that once Bloggs has applied for one of the GSM visas electronically, the e-visa system chokes if the same person is then named as the main applicant in another application for a different subclass of GSM visa, so the second application has to be completed on paper and submitted by post. Again, I've heard this about offshore GSM visas but I don't know whether the same thing is true with the onshore GSM visas.

I'd suggest that you check the whole thing out carefully if you are not sure.

Cheers

Gill

Thank you very much for that. I might have to check with a migration agent then but I think you are right. I might have to lodge a paper based application but apparently it gets processed slower than an online application. So I am thinking whether I should just leave my 885 as it is and forgot about state sponsorship. My occupation is currently on SOL 3.

Archived