Chris Bowens speech at MIA conference

libbysmum

I presume this link is a copy of Chris Bowens Speech at the MIA conference. Makes interesting reading. Another immigration minister from a welsh background - might I get any special treatment seeing as I'm welsh:wubclub::biglaugh:

MIGRATION 2010 CONFERENCE, MIGRATION INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA – KEYNOTE ADDRESS - All News - Chris Bowen - Federal Member for McMahon - Minister for Immigration and Citizenship

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler
I presume this link is a copy of Chris Bowens Speech at the MIA conference. Makes interesting reading. Another immigration minister from a welsh background - might I get any special treatment seeing as I'm welsh:wubclub::biglaugh:

MIGRATION 2010 CONFERENCE, MIGRATION INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA – KEYNOTE ADDRESS - All News - Chris Bowen - Federal Member for McMahon - Minister for Immigration and Citizenship

Hi there, Libby's Mum

Thanks very much for posting the link above.

I've left a comment on Bowen's website and I hope that everyone else will do likewise.

Cheers

Gill

Guest ouseun

This a very good point and i wish they see that they have been dangling a carrot in front of use only to make the pole longer and longer

This is from a comment on the Chris Bowens web page

No one said I had a right to a visa, but I have a right to be treated fairly and honestly and I trust the Australian Government to run a GSM program with integrity!

Guest Hughescl

That would be very nice as I'm also Welsh!!! I just wish they would get on with it now and release the SMP's so everyone knows where they stand!!!

Claire:yes:

Guest Gollywobbler
What's the point of blabbering about asylum seekers there when MIA is mainly concerned with GSM.

Hi User Name

I guess that some RMAs deal with asylum seekers and refugees visa cases. I agree that the MIA members who don't deal with this sector must have been bored stiff, wondering whether Bowen was ever going to get to the point as far as their own clients are concerned.

That said, Bowen was scheduled to speak for 40 minutes according to the MIA's program:

Program

The published speech is 1,573 words long. (I know, because I copied and pasted the thing into Word and then did a word count.) A TV newsreader speaks at about 130 words a minute.

Call it 15 minutes at the outside to deliver that speech. Ergo, what did he say during the unscripted 25 minutes? It would be interesting to know, I reckon.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
OMG we have been called Pitiful by a poster on Chris Bowens website.

I have suitably replied.

Hi Shane

Well said.

"Perspective Holder" is undoubtedly somebody who has either lived in Oz throughout his/her life or whose visa for the place was granted some years ago. It is a bit like the erstwhile "Wanderer" on here - emigrated to Oz 15 years ago and now wants to pull up the drawbridge behind him, apparently.

My personal view of it is that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Cheers

Gill

Hi User Name

I guess that some RMAs deal with asylum seekers and refugees visa cases. I agree that the MIA members who don't deal with this sector must have been bored stiff, wondering whether Bowen was ever going to get to the point as far as their own clients are concerned.

That said, Bowen was scheduled to speak for 40 minutes according to the MIA's program:

Program

The published speech is 1,573 words long. (I know, because I copied and pasted the thing into Word and then did a word count.) A TV newsreader speaks at about 130 words a minute.

Call it 15 minutes at the outside to deliver that speech. Ergo, what did he say during the unscripted 25 minutes? It would be interesting to know, I reckon.

Cheers

Gill

thank you for sharing :)

Hi Shane

Well said.

"Perspective Holder" is undoubtedly somebody who has either lived in Oz throughout his/her life or whose visa for the place was granted some years ago. It is a bit like the erstwhile "Wanderer" on here - emigrated to Oz 15 years ago and now wants to pull up the drawbridge behind him, apparently.

My personal view of it is that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Cheers

Gill

Is that the guy from AustraliaForum?

Guest Gollywobbler
Is that the guy from AustraliaForum?

Hi User Name

Yep, that's the one! I don't think that Wanderer and "Perspective Holder" are the same person, though. The literary style is not the same.

Cheers

Gill

Hi User Name

Yep, that's the one! I don't think that Wanderer and "Perspective Holder" are the same person, though. The literary style is not the same.

Cheers

Gill

No perspective holder IMO either works as a people smuggler whose business isnt doing too well because of detention centers or must be some UNHCR big mouth.

People like that have "perspective" so narrow that theyd class you has refugee even if come on P & O cruiser first class- technically you'd be a "boat people".

Guest dragsterwish
What's the point of blabbering about asylum seekers there when MIA is mainly concerned with GSM.

BINGO! :notworthy:

Guest Gollywobbler
BINGO! :notworthy:

Hi Dragsterwish

Apparently the Gillard Government reckons that the Rudd Government's failure to prevent "iregular maritime arrivals" almost cost Joolya the recent General Election. Bowen seems to have been told to sort this issue out as his first and only priority for the time being.

Joolya seems to have set her heart on a solution involving East Timor. I vaguely understood that Rudd was supposed to be organising the hoped-for East Timor solution but it seems from Bowen's speech that Bowen is off for an international, all expenses paid junket next week. Maybe the pollies and their extensive entourages are planning a mob-handed visit to the countries mentioned by Bowen?

Cheers

Gill

Hello, Gill

I have applied 475 visa in last july 2009

I have sent Medical & pcc on Co's request in sept 2009

I also had Job verification in july 2010.

still I am waiting, I have applied through agent ,I sent PLE to DIAC & got replay if you have case officer then direct contact with him or her. as per Medical request letter I had co in august 2009 from team 3, I sent email to team 3 & got replay from team 4. Do you have any idea about that?

I got replay ,they will replay me within 7 working days if I have CO, it's already 5 days went but still I am waiting.

can you suggest me what can I do in this situation?

Regard's

jackd.:notworthy:

Guest zzzsianzzz

i think bowen didnt even have time to deal with skilled migrants, he must have spent majority of his time planning his overseas trip, thats why he chose to answer refugees issue in a migration conference... refugees migrating too to Australia as majority aye?

:skeptical:

the need to inform migration agents that there are refugees, gosh... i just saw a ladies shirt at supre, "Sh** happens aye!", how true. he will be usually bounded in Australia as immigration minister if he didn't have issues with refugees and require assistance from other countries.

Guest Gollywobbler
i think bowen didnt even have time to deal with skilled migrants, he must have spent majority of his time planning his overseas trip, thats why he chose to answer refugees issue in a migration conference... refugees migrating too to Australia as majority aye?

:skeptical:

the need to inform migration agents that there are refugees, gosh... i just saw a ladies shirt at supre, "Sh** happens aye!", how true. he will be usually bounded in Australia as immigration minister if he didn't have issues with refugees and require assistance from other countries.

Hi there

Do you reckon that he spent another 25 minutes keeping the MIA members' attention fixed on the Humanitarian Stream?

Cheers

Gill

Thank you for sharing...

Comments added....

Guest zzzsianzzz
Hi there

Do you reckon that he spent another 25 minutes keeping the MIA members' attention fixed on the Humanitarian Stream?

Cheers

Gill

Hey Gill

Im quite certain he did waste those MIA members time to hear his speech, as according to the seminars structure on the immigration conference, sat has been modified for humanitarian,etc issues and the sun event was mostly migration. But the fact is he, as minister of DIAC is not present for the sun event as he might be at home in his comfortable lounge drinking beers.

The new boy sucks in my opinion as a minister and an ex-professional as an economist too, might explain why he became a politican!

Cheers

Guest Gollywobbler
Thank you for sharing...

Comments added....

Hi VB

I've just read your comments on the new Minister's website.

Happy to Wait strikes me as being a right little creeping jesus of a toady.

Cheers

Gill

Archived