Being Dropped By Friends!

Guest bernie

Guest KP Nuts

Ya probably call me Crazy, well actually some of you already have but i'm actually looking at houses with an extra bedroom so that if any of my friends 'that i can count on 1 set of fingers on 1 hand an still have space' decide that they fancy a trip to see us they can, that would include relly's too of course, well mine not there's......

Mr KP Nut.

ITS A SHAME THAT FRIENDS AND FAMILY REACT IN THESES WAYS, I GEUSS ITS JUST TO MUCH TO TAKE AND RATHER THAN STOP AND THINK ABOUT IT AND WHAT IT MEANS TO YOU THEY JUST REACT AND TAKE IT PESONALY.

MY OH SISTER REFUSED TO TALK TO US ABOUT IT FOR THE FIRST FEW MONTHS AND IT WAS AS IF SHE WAS DEEPLY HURT WICH AS YOU CAN IMAGINE KINDA CUT HER UP A FAIR BIT.

YOU TRY TO BE UNDERSTANDING BUT WHEN YOUR AMBITIONS AND DREAMS ARE MET WITH NEGATIVITY IT BECOMES DIFFICULT TO BE SYPATHETIC. I THINK FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE THE LOSS IS TO MUCH AND THEY FIND IT EASIER TO CUT OFF NOW RATHER THAN SUFFER THE ANGST OF SAYING GOOD BYE LATER. OTHERS DONT GET IT COS EVEN THOUGH THEY MAY NOT BE HAPPY WITH LIFE IN UK THEY WOULD NEVER HAVE THE GONADS TO DO WHAT WE ARE ALL TRYING TO DO, INFACT IT PROBABLY SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF THEM.

SO GIVE YOUR SELF A BIG PAT ON THE BACK FOR HAVING THE GUTS TO DO IT AND SMILE KNOWING YOUR NOT GOING TO BE STUCK IN UK BEING A MISERABLE WINGING POM.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

JOHN.:biglaugh:

Guest Scarletfever
but i'm actually looking at houses with an extra bedroom so that if any of my friends 'that i can count on 1 set of fingers on 1 hand an still have space' decide that they fancy a trip to see us they can,

Mr KP Nut.

Nice one dude!! When can I come?? :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest Scarletfever
Gotta wait till i'm there 1st, sorry Scarlet.

Mr KP Nut.

Hey...nuthing like planning early matey!!!:biglaugh:

Guest bernie

Hi polkey and kdal, good one totally agree, think it's just one of those things we all have to face. Quite keen to get on with it now and get out there. At first I was really laid back about applying, but when your life alters here and you get into that limbo state, I can see how people get really keen to just get out there!!

Bernie

. I THINK FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE THE LOSS IS TO MUCH AND THEY FIND IT EASIER TO CUT OFF NOW RATHER THAN SUFFER THE ANGST OF SAYING GOOD BYE LATER.

It all sounds really sad...:sad: but I think Polkey's right.

I can only speak for my own experience, but a few of my closest friends felt (they told me!:yes:) as though I was deserting them. The emotion was all a bit raw and it took time for them to go back to 'normal', but they did -and before we left too!

I would give them all time. Ultimately, I guess if they don't come round and really do cut you off, then as everyone has said, they maybe weren't the people you thought they were.

We'll love you anyway!:wubclub:

LC

Guest bernie

Hiya, do you think then that it is better to tell people from the start that you are applying or tell them when you get the visa? just wondering if it's better to give them time to get adjusted, Bernie :wub:

It all sounds really sad...:sad: but I think Polkey's right.

I can only speak for my own experience, but a few of my closest friends felt (they told me!:yes:) as though I was deserting them. The emotion was all a bit raw and it took time for them to go back to 'normal', but they did -and before we left too!

I would give them all time. Ultimately, I guess if they don't come round and really do cut you off, then as everyone has said, they maybe weren't the people you thought they were.

We'll love you anyway!:wubclub:

LC

Hi Bernie,

We told people that we were thinking of it and then when we'd sent off the application. We didn't talk about it much - just in case it didn't come off for whatever reason. Like Lazy Cow said people adjusted but as time got nearer to the off, emotions were a bit high.

Ali

Hiya, do you think then that it is better to tell people from the start that you are applying or tell them when you get the visa? just wondering if it's better to give them time to get adjusted, Bernie :wub:

Hiya Bernie & Family, Personally I think it's best to say from the start but it is also important not to go on about it. I mentioned it to friends and whenever I see them now I do not mention it at all, and only if they ask! Don't think they want me going on about my big move away they would probably think 'if your that excited bu**er off then'. Now and again they say 'are you still moving then', and I suppose they ask cause I don't mention it and I just reply with 'yes, if we get the Visa but we may not get it, you never know' then thats it end of conversation! Only my OH's brother goes on and on about it when we see him with 'why, whats so good about Australia and I love it here' and I have to give my husband that look to say don't bite. Just stay calm and say 'cause its whats rights for us now' and change the subject!

Gd luck with your friends

p.s. I just bore everyone on here with the move instead LOL

So glad i read this thread - one of my best friends has not phoned me for 6 weeks after she realised we are serious about moving to oz. My other friends have been upset but really supportive. My dad thinks it's the best idea I've had all my life while my mum is devastated but putting on a brave face - just have to ignore the odd comment now and then. Anyway eventually got hold of my friend who hasn't really spoken to me and she is coming for tea tomorrow with her little one so just wondering how things will go!

Well one thing is sure as they say 'there's nothing queerer than folk'!

:twitcy:

Guest Ian Laverick

I am sorry to hear that your friends have been difficult, they may just be sad that you are going and do not know how to handle it - or they may be fairweather friends ! .. you need to do whats best for you. Once you have decided that OZ may be for you it is difficult to stow this away - you dont want to regret not trying !

I have had trouble with my mam and dad - we cannot talk about it, but I know that is not a good thing and the clarts will hit the fan some where down the line. All part of the journey .. highs and lows

Good luck - Ian

Archived