Disability Benefits for Australian Citizen

3 Piccos

My family and I (husband and three children) lived in Australia for 17 years and became Australian citizens in 1982. We returned to UK a number of years ago in order to travel Europe and that side of the world. We stayed longer than expected but intend to return towards the end of the year. Unfortunately, my 60 year old husband had a brain haemorrhage 20 months ago which resulted in a severe stroke. He is now confined to a wheelchair and is aphasic. In the UK he receives Disability Living Allowance of £67 per week plus his mobility car. I receive my UK pension which is only £80 as they reduced it because of the 17 years spent in Australia. I have not as yet applied for my Australian pension. I wondered if someone on this site receives a disability allowance or could someone tell me which government department I approach to enquire about disability allowances and whether my husband would be eligible. I have made enquiries about his medication and have been informed by the PBS that they are on the subsidised list. My daughter returned to Australia two years ago and my two sons, daughter in law and grandchildren are returning in the next six months, so all our family will be over in Oz again. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Archived