pokie addiction

welsh in oz

hi...

not been on here for ages.... my aussie OH has a gambling addiction, for pokies, it wasn;t bad at all in the UK as they dont really exist, but has got much worse in the last 6 months, we have been here for 1.5yrs now.

Does anyone else have any experience of this? thmeleves or with a partner that can give me any advice or anything?

thanks...

Guest siamsusie
hi...

not been on here for ages.... my aussie OH has a gambling addiction, for pokies, it wasn;t bad at all in the UK as they dont really exist, but has got much worse in the last 6 months, we have been here for 1.5yrs now.

Does anyone else have any experience of this? thmeleves or with a partner that can give me any advice or anything?

thanks...

New South Wales There are free counselling services for families available as well.

http://www.wesleymission.org.au/community_services/counselling/?ct_from=n

If you take a look at the Gambling section in the Wesley Mission section it is very comprehensive, offering a very wide variety of services etc.

Sydney

(02) 9263 5577

Level 7, 133 Castlereagh Street

Sydney NSW 2000

wesleygambling@wesleymission.org.au

Gambling Counselling Service transparent.png 93 McMasters Rd, Woy Woy NSW 2256 (02) 4344 7992

(I apologise I am unaware of your geography in NSW )

It is very distressing to watch, I really dont like the Pokies which we unfortunately are subjected to here in Tasmania as well. I cant offer you any personal experience but I have enclosed a couple of links for NSW above and I admire your caring and supportive manner.

Wishing you both well

Susie:hug:

Edited to add:

http://www.wesleymission.org.au/centres/newcastle/our_services/counselling/counselling.asp

To find out more, contact:

Newcastle Office

13 Denison Street

Newcastle West NSW 2302

Tel: (02) 4940 0844

Central Coast Office

1a Pacific Highway

Wyong NSW 2259

Tel: (02) 4351 0116

Guest sceadugenga

My first wife could go through a thousand dollars on a good day.

Other than professional counselling the only thing that seems to stop it is running out of money.

Guest sceadugenga

Why would someone who already knew everything ask for help?

It got worse when we split up, my lawyer accessed her bank account to find out where our money was going and it was pretty easy to explain why 5 or 6 $200 withdrawals a day were being made from pokie pubs.

Guest sceadugenga

Have a talk, work out a budget.

Say here's so much to run the house, so much for bills, so much for savings, so much for him to play the pokies.

When it's gone it's gone.

If it doesn't work out decide if you want to be poor for the rest of your life or move on.

ahh that sucks mate. It's not that bad for us yet but I am only thinking it will get worse. I will get him onto some help lines I think.

Not having personal experience, thank goodness, but a key question is whether he accepts he has a problem.

If someone is in denial or doesn't see it as a problem that they need help with, it will be difficult to get them to accept help

My first job here was maintenance worker in a local pub with pokies.I could not believe it!Every morning around 7.30 am there would be a small queue outside of middle aged and old people(mainly women)!You'd think a sale was going to start.By 8 thirty am it was like blackpool illuminations,the gamble aholics blowing all their money on slot machines whilst supping coffee.Same faces all the time,how sad.:unsure:

Archived