Hi .... Newbie bound for Sydney

Anything is possible

Hi guys, been reading for a while and have learnt alot. What a great website.:notworthy:

Anyway a bit about us, we are hopefully set for sydney in the next few months, hubby has secured a job in Sydney and he is there at the moment finalsing everything so hopefully fingers crossed we will agree to go..

We live in Northern Ireland, however I am orignally from Manchester...

All this is scary and dont know where to start so any info would be greatly appreciated... :idea: The weathers gotta be better down under than it is here....

Best of luck to everyone x:hug:

Hello! :em3600:

Congrats on the job! I'm sure everything with the visa will work out for your guys! You hoping to be out before Christmas?

I currently live in Manchester (originally from West Yorkshire) and am heading out at the end of October, so drop me a line when you get out there if you fancy meeting up?

And I've found this forum to be brillaint too, so many lovely people! Everyone is so welcoming and really helpful. I found the forum about moving and real estate pretty good, there's some websites there that can point you in the direction of properties to rent/buy!

Anyway, good luck my dear and welcome to the forum! :hug:

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to PIO. There seems to be a lot of people moving over in October/November.

Congratulations to your OH on getting a job it makes everything so much easier and a little less stressful.

Kate

Guest Northerngirl

Hi there!

Great news on the job and your impending move to Sydney! I'm hoping to be out there in the New Year and recently found this forum which is great for finding new friends, everyone is really lovely. I'm originally from up north but living near Bath at the moment.

Loads of luck with the move and keep in touch and lets catch up in Sydney in the New Year!

:biggrin:

Hi guys, been reading for a while and have learnt alot. What a great website.:notworthy:

Anyway a bit about us, we are hopefully set for sydney in the next few months, hubby has secured a job in Sydney and he is there at the moment finalsing everything so hopefully fingers crossed we will agree to go..

We live in Northern Ireland, however I am orignally from Manchester...

All this is scary and dont know where to start so any info would be greatly appreciated... :idea: The weathers gotta be better down under than it is here....

Best of luck to everyone x:hug:

Hi and welcome to PIO I live in Sydney been here nearly 2 years and we love it here so much. If there is anything you would like to know just ask and I will try my best to answer it for you.

And yes the weather is now starting to get warm Im glad to say, :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alex260176

Hi, I am from Staffordshire and we're currently in the throws of emigrating over to Sydney. We fly out on the 27th Dec and arrive on the 29th....scary! We're gonna be based in the northern beaches near Avalon and I can't wait. Am currently trying to find removal companies and I've heard Crown are supposed to be pretty good. They're probably worth checking out. Also insure-your-move.com are insurers who can insure the value of your container a lot cheaper than the removal companies themselves. I had a 3 year old and a 5 year old so I've got the whole school thing to get my head round too....we did a recce in July and found a lovely school up on the northern beaches which is why we're heading up there. Good luck with the move, keep us up to date on how it's going and any pitfalls to avoid and I'll do the same. Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, am new to the forum, joined last week whilst in Sydney visiting my husband whom has been there since January. I have been back in the UK for a week now and today our Visas have come through. I am just waiting for a completion date for our house sale and then my daughter and myself can join him. We too were looking at a house in Avalon but since coming home have decided that I also like to shop :) So we think we will look closer the the city, maybe Killara or Turramurra. It is really comforting reading what others are up to as I have mixed feelings about the move :(

Guest Northerngirl

Hi there everyone, sounds like alot of us are venturing to Sydney in the next few months! Great to find other people in the same boat.

Karen, if it's any consolation I think you're only human and bound to have mixed feelings about the move! Excitment mixed with being a little scared! You're not alone and I've found this forum fab. I lived in Melbourne back in 2002-2004 and now venturing out to Sydney and I'm more nervous this time despite being much more organised! Old age! But Oz is an amazing place and you will love living there. The "Pommies in Sydney" facebook group is great to. :smile:

Guest alex260176
Hi, am new to the forum, joined last week whilst in Sydney visiting my husband whom has been there since January. I have been back in the UK for a week now and today our Visas have come through. I am just waiting for a completion date for our house sale and then my daughter and myself can join him. We too were looking at a house in Avalon but since coming home have decided that I also like to shop :) So we think we will look closer the the city, maybe Killara or Turramurra. It is really comforting reading what others are up to as I have mixed feelings about the move :(

Karen, don't worry about having mixed emotions about the move - I am terrified but excited and highly emotional! Everytime I think about the 27th Dec and saying goodbye to my family I bawl my eyes out, then in the same breath I watch the news about the tax rises, spending cuts and all the riots in France and I think THANK GOD we're getting out now :wacko: Our house sale fell through last week a week before we were due to sign contracts so it's on the market and only had 1 viewing tonight and 1 tomorrow (fingers crossed), otherwise it looks like the rental market for us as we've booked the removal company and tickets out to Oz now.

I too like to shop and am hyperventilating about the removal company coming as I've just been on a huge shopping spree post their original quote and am now worried whether it will all fit in a 20ft container!:biglaugh: Still I am trying to convince myself that my autumn wardrobe now will still be in fashion in July next year as they're behind us on the fashion calendar, despite being ahead of us on time zone.....woohoo.

The good thing is that your husband is already out there and hopefully will make the transition easier as he'll know where to go for things, what to do and have already set up home so that's a major worry lifted that most people won't have. Anyway, I hope the house sale goes smoothly and the subsequent move. We'll have to hook up for a shopping spree in Paddington when you get over there. Alex x

Archived