Unaccompanied personal effects form - wooden furniture

dorsetemma

Hi everyone

Our furniture is due to arrive into port shortly and I need to fill out the unaccompanied personal effects form for AQIS. Most of it is straight forward enough as we don't have anything to declare except for some wooden furniture. Its mainly IKEA flat pack stuff, ie painted and varnished wood, (no wicker or antique wooden items) and so shouldn't be a problem. I just wondered if, by listing all of these wooden items though, it means that AQIS will go through all of your stuff with a fine toothcomb and, if so, how this effects clearance timings? I know that with airport customs, as long as you declare any questionable items, they are fine - one quick question and away you go. I don't know if port customs are the same or if its a case of any excuse for them to put a hold on your stuff. We really need our things urgently now though so any reassurance you can give would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

We had no probs with wooden furniture & did not give any further specifics (did not pack wicker on advice) & they did not inspect it but they opened all our outdoor stuff eg bikes, trampoline. We had no problems, in customs for about a week which seems pretty standard.

John Mason specifically asked us if any of our furniture was IKEA as AQIS have an issue with the wood they use.

How strange. I thought that as long as the wood had been treated, varnished or painted, it didn't matter what type of wood it was...As long as nothing can be living in the wood. Oh well, many thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to IKEA - they have a stores in Australia.

They generally use MDF Medium Density Fibre board. Therefore woodworm isn't really an issue.

The solid wood articles are treated, I wonder why they mentioned IKEA being an "issue"

Archived