How could we have been so stupid???

mrsindecision

We are just arranging for our dog to come to Uk and inadvertently have let the rabies vaccination lapse (stupid I know) we didn't realise there was a time limit on it. Apparently there is a serious shortage of rabies vaccine in Australia and we therefore cant have him back with us for another 6 months at the very least as we have to find the vaccine first. Trying to decide whether to follow this route and find a foster family for him (big ask of friends) or ship him back and put him into quarantine. Has anyone done the quarantine thing _ there is a kennel near to us so we could visit him frequently. Any advice please as we all feel dreadful.

A long shot but just thought I'd ask : What brand of vaccine did your dog have, when was it given and what did the vet write as the due date?

Many vets incorrectly put the rabies vaccine as only valid for a year, if your has done that you *might* get somewhere by arguing the toss with DEFRA for dispensation.

______

Personally I wouldn't opt for UK quarantine. I would opt to do the pets certificate there and board in Aus for 6 months. At least in boarding they can be adequately exercised, in quarnatine human company and exercise is very limited.

We are just arranging for our dog to come to Uk and inadvertently have let the rabies vaccination lapse (stupid I know) we didn't realise there was a time limit on it. Apparently there is a serious shortage of rabies vaccine in Australia and we therefore cant have him back with us for another 6 months at the very least as we have to find the vaccine first. Trying to decide whether to follow this route and find a foster family for him (big ask of friends) or ship him back and put him into quarantine. Has anyone done the quarantine thing _ there is a kennel near to us so we could visit him frequently. Any advice please as we all feel dreadful.

I have just got my two dogs the rabies vaccination I live in Brisbane and had to go to Toowoomba for them. Where are you based at? Got to get the blood tests done in 2 weeks for them had to ring round everywhere. None of the vets knew when they would get them in. If you are in Brisbane, one at Birkdale had some left they rang me after I travelled to Toowoomba!!! Good luck.

- is it such a big ask for friends to look after him? - maybe a month at a time or something like that? may be an option - although i understand quarrantine is not so bad for the dogs - i gather they are well looked after - just costs a lot!

I have just got my two dogs the rabies vaccination I live in Brisbane and had to go to Toowoomba for them. Where are you based at? Got to get the blood tests done in 2 weeks for them had to ring round everywhere. None of the vets knew when they would get them in. If you are in Brisbane, one at Birkdale had some left they rang me after I travelled to Toowoomba!!! Good luck.

My son and the dog is on the sunny coast - can you send me the details of the vet in Birkdale?

Thanks for your help

Guest bushfireblonde
What was the cost of the rabies vaccine? and then cost of the bloods that follow? I'm told it has rocketed since the vaccine has become so hard to get hold of.

Ringing round myself to try find a vet with some left.

We just had our 5 (yes 5!!) vaccinated as when we enquired about getting one done our vet let us know there was a shortage. We had intended getting them all done over a period of a few months, but decided to grab the vaccine while there still was some.

The vaccination part for each one cost $137 for the vaccine and health check, and an extra $40 each for the three that hadn't yet been microchipped

Next week we have to have all their titre tests done and have been quoted at $420 each for that.

Needless to say we have EVERYTHING crossed that their titre tests show they all have sufficient antibodies as it looks like getting any more vaccine is going to be very difficult!

Hope you can get hold of some.

My son and the dog is on the sunny coast - can you send me the details of the vet in Birkdale?

Thanks for your help

I have just rung Birkdale they have one left and are waiting on someone getting back to them for it. You can ring she was saying first come first served as the other person wanted 2 vacinnations. The number is 3822 7725. Hope you get it.

Guest onwayhome

We flew our dog & cat back from Brisbane a few months ago.

We used All Animal Veterinary Services, located in Nambour. Tel 5441 2355 and ask for Kim Evans.

No idea if they have any vaccinces left but it's worth a try and a bit closer than Birkdale.

Archived