What do you find strange about the other country?

tracy123

On my first shift at work, I found it strange that there was no uniform (dispute). 19 months later, there is still no uniform (I am a nurse).

I find it quite unprofessional - young female nurses wearing low cut tops with all sorts of logos from pink lips to 'kiss me quick' ( WTF )....a myriad of piercings and make up that needs a trowel to put it on and take it off !!!!

I find that I just cannot take any of them seriously. I am aware that this does not occur in every hospital but for a major teaching hospital, it leaves a lot to be desired.....................................

Great to hear that wires are put underground somewhere in Australia! Sadly, here in Melbourne, apart from right in the CBD, they all seem to be overhead.

Hi Julie,

Are you going back to the Uk, and have you had to decide for the family?

Good luck if you are.

Liz

:chatterbox:

Hi Julie,

Are you going back to the Uk, and have you had to decide for the family?

Good luck if you are.

Liz

:chatterbox:

Going off topic as usual.

I find people walking round with no shoes in the food stores gross! What I find strange is the Aussie tv and the constant adverts and I also find it strange how shoes that are plastic can cost so much and spend more shoes!

Liz

:err:

On my first shift at work, I found it strange that there was no uniform (dispute). 19 months later, there is still no uniform (I am a nurse).

I find it quite unprofessional - young female nurses wearing low cut tops with all sorts of logos from pink lips to 'kiss me quick' ( WTF )....a myriad of piercings and make up that needs a trowel to put it on and take it off !!!!

I find that I just cannot take any of them seriously. I am aware that this does not occur in every hospital but for a major teaching hospital, it leaves a lot to be desired.....................................

Even as an Australian I find this quite unprofessional and if I were a patient I would not be able to take them seriously either. Fortunately I have never been in a hospital (even as a visitor) where this (lack of) dress code was allowed and I hope I never will be!

Guest Mrs Nix

But a major one for me is seeing kids walking around the streets and the supermarkets with no shoes on! :swoon:

haha I was talking to my South African friend about this the other day when I couldn't be bothered putting my 3 year olds shoes on after the park...we all walked around barefoot in SA!! we were told its good for your feet.."makes them tough" but thinking back...who wants tough feet????

Guest famousfive

I found it strange that most people still used top loading washing machines that use so much water...in a country that has water shortages.

The lack of solar panels and the lack of use of insulation as a way to control house temps was another surprise.

For a country that prides itself on being so laid back it was a shock to find how many rules and regulations there are.A licence for everything,millions of signs telling you what you can and cannot do and a sense of government involvement in every little thing you do.

I hate the fact that they want to pack for you in the supermarket!! They put about 2 things in each bag & you end up with about 20 plastic bags you don't need.

Even now I've got my own reusable bags I often end up with a kind of tussle over whos going to pack them because if the checkout person does I end up with just a few things in each bag again!!

I think it's just that people expect their bags packed a certain way over here & I like to do it myself & cram it all in!! I'm sure they think I'm mad in my local supermarket but I can't stand all those plastic bags in the house, they really multiply!!

However it didn't used to be much fun in tesco's either when they'd whizz everything through & sit & look at you as you were struggling to shove it all in your bags.

Also having been in Oz about 12 years ago at the time I was impressed with their recycling compared to the UK but now coming back it doesn't seem to have moved on, it's still the same wheeley bin. No compost/food recycling etc.

Ah well, I still love it!!

I will say that I find it strange that petrol prices can change not only on a daily basis, but on a hourly basis also.

Drove past a 'servo' the other day $1.19, on the return journey it was $1.34.

A day or two later it's back to $1.19.

Anyone know why?

And why is it more at the weekend? nothing else changes like that.

Bread isn't suddenly more expensive on a saturday.

Eating out, a coffee, newspaper, bus/rail fare, beer, fags, groceries etc etc etc stay the same.

I know fuel is cheap compared to the uk, but there would be riots in the streets if this was the way in the uk.

So far ... and we've only been here about 6 weeks ... we've noticed a few differences...

The packing of the bags in the supermarkets was nice at first but is now slightly annoying when you get home and find that 1 bag only contained the milk. and you still have 20 more to get through.

The no overflow on sinks/baths took a bit of getting used to as does the drain in the floor in every bathroom.

Most bedrooms having built in wardrobes, which has obviously has its upsides, but not all are in the best place, of the best quality or even designed well.

A rental coming with a dishwasher installed seems very commonplace which again is different from the UK.

The post not coming through your door.

The recycling bins, in our wheelie bin we can put all the household rubbish and the garden rubbish too, which saves on bins but gets filled twice as quick.

The animals in our garden are fab, mostly birds and we get all varieties and whilst they can be noisy it is soooo lovely to see them and hear them most of the time. Not sure about the possums chasing each other across the tin roof at 3am though, that is getting a bit wearing.

Archived