3 weeks in brisbane

the dougans

hi we have been in oz for 3 weeks now , flew with emirates who were good. stayed with friends for first 2 weeks but now living in springfield lakes in a brand new 4 bed dream house.

hubby stared work the day we got own house . he is a carpenter, dont like this tax ,superannuation and self employed things we need to do and sort for ourselves . but suppose will get used to it.

daughter started school on monday she loves it and the uniform. waiting to hear if my son can make prep as an early entry he just misses it but getting appealed.

i have got a relief job in school as a teacher aide so that great, hope to become perm when job comes up .

love springfield lakes it had everything and all new the way i like it. having a ball and love oz but do really miss family and friends . mum and aunt coming in nov though so that good. starting to chill now after all the running aroung organising everything . good luck to everyone !!!!

Guest Mrs Nix
hi we have been in oz for 3 weeks now , flew with emirates who were good. stayed with friends for first 2 weeks but now living in springfield lakes in a brand new 4 bed dream house.

hubby stared work the day we got own house . he is a carpenter, dont like this tax ,superannuation and self employed things we need to do and sort for ourselves . but suppose will get used to it.

daughter started school on monday she loves it and the uniform. waiting to hear if my son can make prep as an early entry he just misses it but getting appealed.

i have got a relief job in school as a teacher aide so that great, hope to become perm when job comes up .

love springfield lakes it had everything and all new the way i like it. having a ball and love oz but do really miss family and friends . mum and aunt coming in nov though so that good. starting to chill now after all the running aroung organising everything . good luck to everyone !!!!

WOW thats not bad going for 3 weeks!! Glad you are feeling so happy and settled - a great start to a new life!!

LOL

The ache of leaving family friends does get better with time, i cant say it goes away completely but it does get bearable.

I am 10/15 mins away, just past Greenbank and Spring Mountain, so if you get stuck with anything (although you seem to be doing mighty fine) just yell.

Cal x

LOL

The ache of leaving family friends does get better with time, i cant say it goes away completely but it does get bearable.

I am 10/15 mins away, just past Greenbank and Spring Mountain, so if you get stuck with anything (although you seem to be doing mighty fine) just yell.

Cal x

ah thanks v much . next time you down this way let us no. hong you be in oz ?ill you stay for good then? im sure ill be fine lol mum coming soon so that good , take care

Guest pablofet1

Glad to hear you are settling in.

The girls and i joined my husband 9 weeks ago and loving it. we are in Eatons Hill (Northern Suburb) my 7yr old is loving school and my 4yr old started pre prep last week and is also loving it. We have also tried to enroll our youngest into prep early, her b'day is July 15th (cut off June 30th) and she has already attended nursery (pre prep equivalent) but we were declined even though her pre prep have contacted the school to say that she is in need of school now . We were informed that there are no exceptions to this. :err:

Please let me know how you get on with early entry.

We have already had our first visit to children's A&E with my youngest on Sunday night. She woke up with a barking cough and breathing difficulties. Hospital diagnosed croup and administered steroids, she is still really poorly with cough, stinking cold and vomiting but at home now.

Best wishes:biggrin:

We have also tried to enroll our youngest into prep early, her b'day is July 15th (cut off June 30th) and she has already attended nursery (pre prep equivalent) but we were declined even though her pre prep have contacted the school to say that she is in need of school now . We were informed that there are no exceptions to this. :err:

Hi

There are exceptions to this rule ,or at least there was this time last year. A family moved near me and their son was not old enough for Prep even though he attended school when in the UK. The local school and Qld education arranged for him to sit some ''tests'' he passed with flying colours and started prep in a state primary the following week.

I suggest you get back onto the local school to see if they can help, if they can't/won't i would go direct to QLD education.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Glad to hear you are settling in.

The girls and i joined my husband 9 weeks ago and loving it. we are in Eatons Hill (Northern Suburb) my 7yr old is loving school and my 4yr old started pre prep last week and is also loving it. We have also tried to enroll our youngest into prep early, her b'day is July 15th (cut off June 30th) and she has already attended nursery (pre prep equivalent) but we were declined even though her pre prep have contacted the school to say that she is in need of school now . We were informed that there are no exceptions to this. :err:

Please let me know how you get on with early entry.

We have already had our first visit to children's A&E with my youngest on Sunday night. She woke up with a barking cough and breathing difficulties. Hospital diagnosed croup and administered steroids, she is still really poorly with cough, stinking cold and vomiting but at home now.

hi hope your daughter gets better soon what a shame. at least she home now , poor soul. yea i will find out about prep within 10 days so will let you know or you remind me lol. glad you loving oz , i am to just the family thing with me . good luck

Guest pablofet1
Hi

There are exceptions to this rule ,or at least there was this time last year. A family moved near me and their son was not old enough for Prep even though he attended school when in the UK. The local school and Qld education arranged for him to sit some ''tests'' he passed with flying colours and started prep in a state primary the following week.

I suggest you get back onto the local school to see if they can help, if they can't/won't i would go direct to QLD education.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Yes i may try calling Qld Ed but according to the info on their website and from what the principal said in our meeting there wouldn't have been a problem if she had already started Reception- prep equivalent but she has only been to nursery and was due to start Reception this September. The protocol says if the child has already attended full time prep equivalent outside of Qld then you qualify to apply.

It is a real shame for her because she is so ready. She already writes a handful of words , she asks how to spell others. 2012 for her is a long way off. I must say i am at the moment feeling a little guilt that we have moved her away from her schooling. She tells me on a daily basis that she misses her school and friends.:sad:

• 1 month later...
Guest scot2oz

sounds like you are having a ball. we are moving out to brisbane area in 8 days and still dont have a rental secured. We are now looking at booking a holiday let for one week and just organising the rental when we arrive.

Its getting oh so stressfull. We are looking at moving to pacific pines but varsity lakes was another option we looked at. the houses are too die for!

do you think 1 week will be long enogh to secure a rental.

We have 2 young children and dont want to be homeless in OZ !!!!!!

Wow... you have been busy!!! Sounds wonderful though!

Good luck in the jobs, hope they work out well for you and good luck with the school.

Sounds like you have everything organised within 3 weeks of being there! Well done!!!

Keep us informed on how you are getting on.

All the best

Tasha x

sounds like you are having a ball. we are moving out to brisbane area in 8 days and still dont have a rental secured. We are now looking at booking a holiday let for one week and just organising the rental when we arrive.

Its getting oh so stressfull. We are looking at moving to pacific pines but varsity lakes was another option we looked at. the houses are too die for!

do you think 1 week will be long enogh to secure a rental.

We have 2 young children and dont want to be homeless in OZ !!!!!!

It is doubtful that one week will be enough to find a rental, secure it and then move in. However, it is not holiday season so you should have no problem extending your holiday let or finding another to tide you over

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sunshineonme

Hi to the Dougans!

We are considering a move to QLD and spotted Springfield Lakes on the web, we had that circled as a 'possible' option for us. We are a youngish (late 30's but very young at heart!) couple with a 9 year old boy who loves the great outdoors. Is there anywhere in the UK you would say reminds you of Springfield Lakes, QLD that we can try to relate to?

We are interested in a new vibrant area close to a decent high school & a TAFE/College/Uni, decent road connections to where the work may be, does this tick some or all of those boxes? Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Some of the houses we saw when we were in Springfield lakes were simply fandabbidozee. You can only dream about living in such luxurious splendour, the modern art decor look and spacious huge living areas are amazing and they lead out onto fantastic patio areas, through large multi-patio doors and windows, they are out of this world. We loved Springfield lakes, it was quiet and we were told a very low crime area and not too far from the city.

All the best and keep posting more good stuff, it sounds great.

hi yea it ticks all your boxes, it is like kind of estates in florida all new houses, dont no where would be like in uk , we love it here. we are in our 30s lots oif families. it near to city 45 from gold coast and 1 hour from sunshine coast, it has tennis courts parks barbie areas and basket ball courts all free to use. you will like it . good luck

Guest Taylor72
Hi to the Dougans!

We are considering a move to QLD and spotted Springfield Lakes on the web, we had that circled as a 'possible' option for us. We are a youngish (late 30's but very young at heart!) couple with a 9 year old boy who loves the great outdoors. Is there anywhere in the UK you would say reminds you of Springfield Lakes, QLD that we can try to relate to?

We are interested in a new vibrant area close to a decent high school & a TAFE/College/Uni, decent road connections to where the work may be, does this tick some or all of those boxes? Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hi Springfield lakes is a nice new estate, very clean and within close range to schools shops etc. Alot of thought has gone into the planning of it ie , walk ways round the lake, park areas (clean ), also close to motor way links. Agood starting point, i thought whilst on a reccie last year. Some plots can be quite small though, depends what your after x.

Annette x

Guest sunshineonme

Thanks guys.

We are on a fairly large block (in UK terms!) at the moment here in Vic, but are happy to downsize to get the right lifestyle. A block around 500m2 - 650m2 is what we would like to see ourselves in and we miss not having stairs (weird I know); sleeping downstairs near the front door seems wrong to me, I would love to have to go upstairs to bed but realise that heat rises so it may not be all that desirable in reality!

Are there any new blocks forsale or is the who area developed now?

Get me out of wet and unpredictable Victoria and away from the l...ong winters!

Bye for now :)

Guest Taylor72
Thanks guys.

We are on a fairly large block (in UK terms!) at the moment here in Vic, but are happy to downsize to get the right lifestyle. A block around 500m2 - 650m2 is what we would like to see ourselves in and we miss not having stairs (weird I know); sleeping downstairs near the front door seems wrong to me, I would love to have to go upstairs to bed but realise that heat rises so it may not be all that desirable in reality!

Are there any new blocks forsale or is the who area developed now?

Get me out of wet and unpredictable Victoria and away from the l...ong winters!

Bye for now :)

Hi when we were over we had a look around the estate and the show homes , which were lovely !!!!!

I dont think you will have a prob with either a rental or a new build as this is still an up and coming area. Its probably grouwn loads since we were over last oct. Springfield is to be known as a satalite city, which will be totally self sufficient, ie with own train and bus services, schools, uni, shopping mall and they had looked into building a hospital !! etc. It was a pretty nice place and the plot sizes are within the block sizes you wanted. Fernvale are also having new builds, which is such a lovely qwerky place, which is semi rural but near every where x

And even though our friends thought it was chilly in Oct, we were typical poms in our shorts and tee shirts haha. We thought it was hot and theyve just got too soft hehe :biglaugh:

Good lick

Annette x

Archived