Other Family visas: Cutbacks and Delays

Guest Ari3139

Hi, Please can someone help me. We have just been grated our visas and arelooking at moving out in September but my hubby's sister wants to come with us too.

We were going to apply offshore for a only remaining relative visa but after reading about the lenght of time these are taking can we get her to go on a tourist visa then log an onshore application there and get a bridging visa? She has a little bit of money tucked aside so should be able to support herself for a while.

What about her coming on a tourist and then getting a sponsor for work as she is high up in Payroll so should hopefully get something. can you get these if you are over 50?

The problem is she has just turned 50 so can not apply independantly herself. Any help would be appreciated as he is desperate to come with us.

Hey everyone

I finally got an email from my CO (5 weeks after I sent one to her). There has been no progress for me and my queue date is 30/6/10 although I am unsure how this date was reached as I had everything in way before then... I have also been advised that my CO is moving on and I will need to direct any future queries to a central email in Perth ( I was being looked after in Canberra).. Far out!!!!

Anyway... It seems as though I am still in it for the long haul - as is everyone else...

There is an emphasis in the letter that seems to say that I will only be processed further down the line if I am still eligible for this visa when they look at it again (6, 10, 20 years down the line???) I am guessing that means having no significant other or kids before I get PR or I will have wasted time & funds...

The joys of life in limbo eh!!!

Cx

• 1 month later...

There has been an update to the Aussie Immigration site and specifically forecast waiting times according to your queue date:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/other-family-visa-queue.htm#a

It seems that the wait might not be that long, at least for those that have a queue date before 30th July 2010. For those that have a date after April 2011, a waiting time of 10 years can be expected! Scandalous....

Derrick

Applications lodged in April 2011Approximate waiting timeCarer4 yearsRemaining Relative or Aged Dependent Relative10 ½ years

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to update everyone on my application for a remaining relative visa.

I applied onshore for a remaining relative visa in Feb 2010. I have not yet been assigned a case officer and I really doubt if I will be getting my visa in the next 2-3 years.

As part of my application I have obtained a Police Clearance Certificate. It is now about to expire. Does anyone know if I will have to obtain another clearance certificate when my case officer is appointed? (even though I haven't set foot outside the country since obtaining my certificate)

Hi mate,

I also applied in same period and conditions as yours. And I had not been advised anything until contacting to Immigration via phone or email and then be told about my queue day. I reckon you should contact them ASAP to know about your application's situation and then regarding the queuing table that be supplied on DIAC website, you might calculate your waiting time until the visa to be granted ( please notice that you have to be allocated the queue day ).

Some of links below might help you get connection to DIAC officers:

About current queuing time:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/other-family-visa-queue.htm

By phone:

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/telephone.htm

By email inquiry form to Other Family Process Centre at Perth office:

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/forms/email/eform-processing-centres.htm?78

Good luck on you!

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to update everyone on my application for a remaining relative visa.

I applied onshore for a remaining relative visa in Feb 2010. I have not yet been assigned a case officer and I really doubt if I will be getting my visa in the next 2-3 years.

As part of my application I have obtained a Police Clearance Certificate. It is now about to expire. Does anyone know if I will have to obtain another clearance certificate when my case officer is appointed? (even though I haven't set foot outside the country since obtaining my certificate)

Hi mate,

I also applied in same period and conditions as yours. And I had not been advised anything until contacting to Immigration via phone or email and then be told about my queue day. I reckon you should contact them ASAP to know about your application's situation and then regarding the queuing table that be supplied on DIAC website, you might calculate your waiting time until the visa to be granted ( please notice that you have to be allocated the queue day ).

Some of links below might help you get connection to DIAC officers:

About current queuing time:

By phone:

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/telephone.htm

By email inquiry form to Other Family Process Centre at Perth office:

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/forms/email/eform-processing-centres.htm?78

Good luck on you!

Thanks for the info! I have just sent them an email. It really is frustrating that I haven't been appointed a case officer yet. I have come across people who have applied for a similar visa and they have had case officers appointed in less than a week for some people. Some have even managed to get a visa. I guess there's nothing really I can do except for sit and wait (hopefully for not a long time!). Thanks once again!

Guest Ari3139

Oh I do hope so. So desperate to get his sister over but can not wait 10 years!!!

Thanks for the post and for getting my hopes up. It has certainly been an emotional rollercoaster of a process from start to finish.

Oh I do hope so. So desperate to get his sister over but can not wait 10 years!!!

Thanks for the post and for getting my hopes up. It has certainly been an emotional rollercoaster of a process from start to finish.

when was the application made? Fingers crossed for everyone who is having their life affected by this!

• 2 weeks later...

And I had not been advised anything until contacting to Immigration via phone or email and then be told about my queue day.

QUOTE]

Hi Daniel, have you applied Onshore or Offshore?

I finished everything on 17-May-2011 offshore, and haven't appointed a CO yet. In your opinion, is it possible for me to contact DIAC via phone or email about my queue date now (ie 40 days now), Or should I wait for a few weeks then ask them?

And I had not been advised anything until contacting to Immigration via phone or email and then be told about my queue day.

Hi Daniel, have you applied onshore or offshore?

I finished everything on 17-May-2011 offshore, and haven’t been appointed a CO yet.

In your opinion, is it possible for me to contact DIAC via phone or email about my queue date now (i.e. after only 40 days), OR should I wait for a few weeks, then contact them?

Thanks a lot, and any suggestions from any one would be highly appreciated.

I finished everything on 17-May-2011 offshore, and haven’t been appointed a CO yet.

In your opinion, is it possible for me to contact DIAC via phone or email about my queue date now (i.e. after only 40 days), OR should I wait for a few weeks, then contact them?

Hi day09

You can certainly try contacting them, however I wouldn't get your hopes up... 40 days is nothing in the scheme of things and I don't know if you will get any information out of them that will help you.

Once it started looking like I wouldn't be processed any time soon, my CO went very quiet and then only ever gave me scripted responses to most of my questions. I'm on-shore and should have my visa by January 2013...

Grab yourself somewhere comfy, relax and let the slow-train take you the long way round!

Sorry - but thats the best I can offer you...

Cx

My train departed back in November 09... Then broke down just by the beach and is still being worked on. Apparently!

Although I think the driver took the mechanics to the nearby hotel and they are all now too under the influence to remember to worry about what happens to the abandoned ones...!!

Hi day09

Thanks for your question

You look different with some guys here who did loge their application in few years ago ( the long time enough to be allocated the queue day ). You have just applied in last couple weeks and I so much apology to tell you that after April 2011, base on current planing level and case loadsize, your application has to wait up to 10.5 years to be considered ( your queue day will be advised when your application is assessed as meet the core criteria to be granted visa ). Details at here:

I could answer you that I am in onshore but it does not matter you are onshore or offshore. Due to ministerial direction, the final proportion of Other Family visa places allocated between applicants applying in and outside Australia and ensure equity, all Other Family category visa applications are assessed by the relevant processing area in order of lodgement, assigned a 'queue date' and then placed in the queue for the relevant visa subclass. Applicants are advised of their queue date when they reach this stage.

I know that sucks really and what you can do now is forget your concerns about it, turn back to your life, work, study normally... at your country and be significant patient in next long times. I reckon you should check DIAC website somehow because they will change their planning levels each year and usally, they will be released around May before starting new financial year on 1st July. Everything's in there!!

There's the Fact Sheet 21 page from DIAC website with including few FAQs about cap and queue system that might help you to manage your application process by yourself:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/21managing.htm

Good luck on you and your new plans coming

Cheers

Thank you for all your kindly reply. They help me calm down somehow now.

You are all commuters having tickets already, just waiting to get on the train. I have just stepped at the ticket office and still trying to get a ticket (a queue date). Still far, far away. :jiggy:

Anyway, good luck to all of us.

Ah, yes, and how can a visa be granted just for 2 days???? How lucky it is!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Just let you know that we have 3 more weeks to reach off the end of this financial year!! It means the limit of its cap is going to expired!!

The new one will be starting from 1st July with the new cap and planning levels applied. So department will consider and grant visa from that day in order of your queue days ( if your applications were assigned ). Somehow check on DIAC's tables to manage your plan coming:

Good luck all of you guys

Cheers

Hey guys, this is the reply I received from immi in regards to a query for my onshore remaining relative application which I applied in Feb 2010.

The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship has determined that, as of 25 January 2011, the maximum number of Other Family (Class BO/BU) visas which can be granted under the migration program is 750 in the 2010-2011 program year.

In order to manage the Other Family visa places in an orderly and equitable manner, a capping and queuing system has been introduced. All Other Family category visas will be assessed in date order of lodgement. If an applicant is found to satisfy the core criteria for the grant of the visa, they are then allocated a ‘queue date’ and placed in a queue.

Applications are then considered for grant in order of their queue date as visa places become available. The waiting period can be affected by withdrawals, refusals and changes to planning levels.

Further information on the new capping and queuing arrangements is available on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s website at: http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/capping-and-queuing.htm

According to Ministerial Directions, priority is given to Carer visa applications, however, it is expected that all Other Family category visa applicants will be subjected to increased processing times. You could find information in relation to approximate timeframes on our website at:

The nature of family migration, in particular within the Carer visa category, is such that most cases are of a compelling and compassionate nature. In the interests of fairness, queue dates will not be allocated or adjusted to prioritise requests for compelling and compassionate circumstances, as bringing forward the processing of any visa application outside of queue date may disadvantage clients whose circumstances are equally as compelling and compassionate.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience.

I have not been appointed a case officer, nor been assigned a queue date yet (even though the website states that a remaining relative application should take about 3 months to 1.5 years from the date of lodgement). This to me suggests that there is a even huge delay and I don't think my train will move for another year or two. This is really so disheartening.

Hey guys, this is the reply I received from immi in regards to a query for my onshore remaining relative application which I applied in Feb 2010.

The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship has determined that, as of 25 January 2011, the maximum number of Other Family (Class BO/BU) visas which can be granted under the migration program is 750 in the 2010-2011 program year.

In order to manage the Other Family visa places in an orderly and equitable manner, a capping and queuing system has been introduced. All Other Family category visas will be assessed in date order of lodgement. If an applicant is found to satisfy the core criteria for the grant of the visa, they are then allocated a ‘queue date’ and placed in a queue.

Applications are then considered for grant in order of their queue date as visa places become available. The waiting period can be affected by withdrawals, refusals and changes to planning levels.

Further information on the new capping and queuing arrangements is available on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s website at: www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/capping-and-queuing.htm

According to Ministerial Directions, priority is given to Carer visa applications, however, it is expected that all Other Family category visa applicants will be subjected to increased processing times. You could find information in relation to approximate timeframes on our website at:

The nature of family migration, in particular within the Carer visa category, is such that most cases are of a compelling and compassionate nature. In the interests of fairness, queue dates will not be allocated or adjusted to prioritise requests for compelling and compassionate circumstances, as bringing forward the processing of any visa application outside of queue date may disadvantage clients whose circumstances are equally as compelling and compassionate.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused and appreciate your patience.

I have not been appointed a case officer, nor been assigned a queue date yet (even though the website states that a remaining relative application should take about 3 months to 1.5 years from the date of lodgement). This to me suggests that there is a even huge delay and I don't think my train will move for another year or two. This is really so disheartening.

Hi lazybones1987

Usually they use this instant answer to reply to most of clients that raise them same questions regarding application situation ( I got one, too :D ). They are so busy and do not want to take time to answer each of question individually.

Base on your applied period, I do not think you have not got the queue day yet, please ask them something like "I understand your application process, thank a lot!! But I wish to know where I am standing in the queue ( or not ), can you advise me my queue day, please?" and they will answer. ( I did and got the answer to them, to be careful, I did ask in both 2 ways: email and phone to confirm exactly about my queue day ). Remember that the day of lodgement and the queue day are different.

You should read how different are they from DIAC's website and the time frames which they have provided are base on queue day, not the day of lodgement.

Good luck to you

Cheers

Hi lazybones1987

Usually they use this instant answer to reply to most of clients that raise them same questions regarding application situation ( I got one, too :D ). They are so busy and do not want to take time to answer each of question individually.

Base on your applied period, I do not think you have not got the queue day yet, please ask them something like "I understand your application process, thank a lot!! But I wish to know where I am standing in the queue ( or not ), can you advise me my queue day, please?" and they will answer. ( I did and got the answer to them, to be careful, I did ask in both 2 ways: email and phone to confirm exactly about my queue day ). Remember that the day of lodgement and the queue day are different.

You should read how different are they from DIAC's website and the time frames which they have provided are base on queue day, not the day of lodgement.

Good luck to you

Cheers

Thanks for your input once again Danielphan. Can I ask you if you submitted your Police Clearance Certificates at the time of lodging your application? Also, when did you take your health & character test? Did you do it before your "queuing" date?

I haven't been asked to take a health & character test nor submit my police clearance certificates as well. Based on what you are saying, my application could take from 3 months to 1.5 years AFTER I have been put on a queue. How long will it take for them to assign my application on a queue? I don't know.

I called immi and the agent who spoke to me said that she cannot give out information on if I have been assigned a case officer or even tell me if I have been put on a queue.

Thanks for your input once again Danielphan. Can I ask you if you submitted your Police Clearance Certificates at the time of lodging your application? Also, when did you take your health & character test? Did you do it before your "queuing" date?

I haven't been asked to take a health & character test nor submit my police clearance certificates as well. Based on what you are saying, my application could take from 3 months to 1.5 years AFTER I have been put on a queue. How long will it take for them to assign my application on a queue? I don't know.

I called immi and the agent who spoke to me said that she cannot give out information on if I have been assigned a case officer or even tell me if I have been put on a queue.

Hi mate

Yes, I did do them ( health and character tests ) but without the request of case officer, I did by myself and sent to them. I want to share to you that because we applied before 1 July 2010 when the new process on Other Family was changed, these applications applied after that day have to meet health and character tests before queuing ( case officer will contact to you to make the requests ).

It means we could be able to queue without health and character test ( in case your application was assessed before 1 July 2010, as me is example ). Now they're expired and I have to do again once my application dues to be considered for grant visa.

The time is taken for queue can vary and depend on many elements, you could look at on DIAC website here:

"The queue date is the date that the application is assessed as meeting the core criteria for an Other Family category visa. The time taken to process an application to queue status (that is, to conduct the assessments) can vary and depend on the complexity of the individual case, how quickly applicants respond to requests for further information and caseload sizes at the individual processing office."

Usually it takes 30 - 40 days for simple case and maybe couple of months for complex ones. I do not know exactly

You should tell her please let me know I am being queue or not, if yes, let me know about my queue day because the case officer have not contacted to me for long time ago! You are allowed to know your application's going!!! Let do it!!