Documentation for Vetassess for Self Employed Bricklayer

Brown5

Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone can help me at all, my OH is a self-employed bricklayer, he did a three year apprenticeship and for the past 25 years has worked for a national housebuilder on a self-employed basis.

The problem that we seem to be having is that our agent keeps asking us for items such as a contract list, letterheads, proof of business premises etc all to support our Vetassess application. This is all well and good if my OH actually had his own company, he doesn't, he just puts in a time sheet, gets paid and we complete a self-certification tax form each year.

I'm sure that there are other brickies out there who have put together all of the paperwork required for the Vetassess and I was just hoping that maybe one or two of you who have been successful could let me know what you supplied.

Thanks

Tracey :biggrin:

Hello Tracey,

His situation is not uncommon. It sounds like what he needs to do is complete a stat dec explaining his situation and then provide a letter/letters from the companies that have been paying his invoices.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Thank you for that Stephen, the only problem I have is that OH is very reluctant to ask the housebuilder that he's with now for a reference as he is worried it may jeopardise him staying on site with them. He has only ever worked for two housebuilders the first one he did his apprenticeship with and then left after 19 years, went to a different one for 4 years (who we have got a reference off) and then they had no work so he has been back with the first one for the past two years.

I've told him not to worry and just ask for one but he's against doing this so we are going to complete a declaration for that stage of his career. Do you think this will go against us if he doesn't have a reference off this company ?

Thank you for taking the time out to reply.

Tracey

Guest Midlanders

Hi My OH is a self employed Carpenter

We sent things like.

Copy of his yearly accounts for last 4-5 years I think

Letter from his Accountant. how long he has been dealing with his account , what his trade is.

Copies of invoices

Letters from clients or even family/friend that he has done work from - outling what work he carried out for them

References from Previous contractors he has worked for

Copy of any qualifications, certs in his field

Agent or agency pay slips

photos of him carrying out his work

Stat declaration

Tools used on what he uses them on

Any documentation he may have naming him and his trade

Trade/suppliers Letters sent to him or if he has an account with them what/how much spend

Invoices for material if he has that show his name/address/trade

Hope this helps to name some of the ones that come to the mind.

Regards

Judith & Darren

Thanks for all the information, it's pretty much what we have collated together, OH has done some work for relatives so we will get them to do some references, not easy as they're not happy we're going.

Thanks again

Tracey

Thank you for that Stephen, the only problem I have is that OH is very reluctant to ask the housebuilder that he's with now for a reference as he is worried it may jeopardise him staying on site with them. He has only ever worked for two housebuilders the first one he did his apprenticeship with and then left after 19 years, went to a different one for 4 years (who we have got a reference off) and then they had no work so he has been back with the first one for the past two years.

I've told him not to worry and just ask for one but he's against doing this so we are going to complete a declaration for that stage of his career. Do you think this will go against us if he doesn't have a reference off this company ?

Thank you for taking the time out to reply.

Tracey

Hi Tracey

We didn't want certain people to know that we were thinking of going to Australia when we did this a few years ago, so we told his employer that the references were for a new mortgage that we were applying for, they never questioned it and did it no problem!. We also did this for the relative references as we didn't want to upset our family if it all came to nothing!

We also did quite a few stat decs as my husband had worked for lots of companies and people, and we couldn't get references from them all. Our agent gave us templates to use for every scenario and i'm sure there was one relating to this, they must come across it all the time. Good luck getting everything together.

• 3 months later...
Hi Tracey

We didn't want certain people to know that we were thinking of going to Australia when we did this a few years ago, so we told his employer that the references were for a new mortgage that we were applying for, they never questioned it and did it no problem!. We also did this for the relative references as we didn't want to upset our family if it all came to nothing!

We also did quite a few stat decs as my husband had worked for lots of companies and people, and we couldn't get references from them all. Our agent gave us templates to use for every scenario and i'm sure there was one relating to this, they must come across it all the time. Good luck getting everything together.

Hi

Please can you let me know the format of the Stat Dec and who needs to sign it etc? Would be a great help.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Please can you advise how much info you went into for the trade assesment form, my OH is reallystressing that he isn't putting enough for the competencies or that he hasn't done some of the work i.e glass block work despite being a brickie for 7 years and having an NVQ Level 2 Apprentiship qualification? Any help would be appreciated, we need to get this sent off before Christmas we haveloads of other evidence he is just struggling to write this evidence down! Thanks :-)

Hi Guys

Please can you advise how much info you went into for the trade assesment form, my OH is reallystressing that he isn't putting enough for the competencies or that he hasn't done some of the work i.e glass block work despite being a brickie for 7 years and having an NVQ Level 2 Apprentiship qualification? Any help would be appreciated, we need to get this sent off before Christmas we haveloads of other evidence he is just struggling to write this evidence down! Thanks :-)

Hia, with regards to the state declaration this is what our opener was: -

I, Name of .................. address ............... England, UK, make the following declaration under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959:

The reason I am unable to supply a reference from ............. is that in the UK the new build housemarket is still very fragile, and as I am working as a sub-contract bricklayer I do not wish to jeopardise my contract with them.

We then went into what my OH had to do to gain his apprenticeship ie 2 interviews, then what it entailed, going to college etc. then when completed that he worked on a sub-contract self-employed basis. All of the dates were listed, he then stated what he did with regards to the new-builds and listed all tools he used.

To end ......................As evidence of the above I submit the following documents:

 Training Documents

 Invoices for work carried out

 Tax Returns from the last 5 years

I understand that a person who intentionally makes a false statement in a statutory declaration is guilty of an offence under section 11 of the Statutory Declarations Act 1959, and I believe that the statements in this declaration are true in every particular.

He then signed it and got it witnessed, our dentist witnessed ours for us and didn't charge anything.

With regards to glass blocks, he just put that the hadn't ever had to work with them. He has since been on his practical and passed, we worried ourselves sick over all the forms etc but as long as you put the info on them with regards to work history etc you will be o.k.

If you need anything else send me a PM with your email address on it and I can email you direct.

Good Luck

Tracey x :biggrin:

Guest Midlanders
Hi Guys

Hi

My OH provided current pictures of him working along with:

types of work undertaken he's undertaken - over the years. Has he uses a lot more tool than your OH, our agent said he had to stipulate what he did with each tool, senario's etc, from the planning, preparation, thinking stage to start the work, 1st fix end fix, 3rd fix so you OH needs to break this down to show he know what he is talking about not just the. set out to then the actual shoving the muck on bricks.

He also had to get :

References from people he had done work for, even friends, family etc

stipulating what it was undertaken, duration, their satisfaction etc, any wage slips, invoice he's sent. receipts for tools, or suppliers used. reference off suppliers used

everything but the kitchen sink..

As vetessess is out, it just TRA now ( luckly you) and I dont think that you will have to do the skills test that most of the tradies had to do over for nearly the last 2 years

I suggest you send a copy of everything along with the kitchen sink if needs be.

hope to see you at the met up at end of jan

Judy & Darren

Archived