$1 Million for anyone who can stop immigration

tcillc

Guest proud2beaussie

John no apology is required,I just wanted to ensure that the debate was conducted in a sensible manner.

I completly understand how frustrating it must be for people who want to migrate here and contribute to

the Australian economy to have this sort of thing gaining media exposure but I really do think that it's a

bit of a media beat up designed to promote the ABC program.

Most sensible Australians are well aware that we need a sensible,well managed migration program if we are to be a successful economy in the 21st century.

Frankly I wouldn't pay much attention to Mr Smith.

Cheers

Nigel

Guest TheStig
Dick Smith (an Australian entrepreneur) offering $1 Million for anyone who can stop immigration to Oz.

Now showing on Channel 7's Today Tonight.

So what's new. Another Pauline Hanson. Seems there are quite a number of them these days...... Just makes one go back to the days of a 'white australia' policy.

If I could meet him in person, I'll tell him to take his money and shove it. There are so many people out there on the streets, homeless, without food and a roof over thei heads. If he really cares about his bloody country and its people, then do something worthwhile and put it to good use.

So what's new. Another Pauline Hanson. Seems there are quite a number of them these days...... Just makes one go back to the days of a 'white australia' policy.

If I could meet him in person, I'll tell him to take his money and shove it. There are so many people out there on the streets, homeless, without food and a roof over thei heads. If he really cares about his bloody country and its people, then do something worthwhile and put it to good use.

In the UK, these people are referred to as the Britsh National Party or the National Front. I HATE RACISTS AND BIGOTS.:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Best plan of action.

To all those migrants, Pom, Chinese, Yugoslavia, South African, the list is endless who all BOUGHT Mr Smiths goods to go back to one of his stores and demand a refund.

I'm sure if it wasn't for the many hundreds of thousands of migrants that purchased Mr Smiths goods he would not be in the position he is now. His empire was in a small way built upon the backs of many migrants, didn't see him turning away business when a 'migrant' wanted to purchase something from his store.

Engage brain Mr Smith before opening your mouth.

Cheers Tony:wink:

Hi Tony,

The crazy thing about all this is that Dick Smith forgets that he is descended from an immigrant family. I would imagine that his family name of Smith comes from the UK. I wonder what his ancestors would make of his comments if they were around today?

Cheers,

John

Guest TheStig
Hi Tony,

The crazy thing about all this is that Dick Smith forgets that he is descended from an immigrant family. I would imagine that his family name of Smith comes from the UK. I wonder what his ancestors would make of his comments if they were around today?

Cheers,

John

True. So are Evans, Gillard, Abbot, Penny Wong just to name a few.. Just look at what these 'immigrant' descendents are doing now..

Hi Tony,

Cheers,

John

Having followed this debate.... I think the same John....I mean how could one forget that once apon a time one was a 'Migrant' to this country!!

I did follow this program on Today Tonight yesterday and could not help thinking....If Dick Smith was so concerened about his gradchildren's future and how the infrastructure has not been upgraded to suite the crowding cities...then probably he should be donating his 1 million to get such things happening....

I doubt Australia would have achieved it's properity without 'Immigration' and doubt they will be able to hold onto that prosperity in future by drastically reducing Immigration...

Finally, I have made up my mind.....NO MORE BUYING FROM DICK SMITH!!!

:jiggy:

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

OMG

Somebody refered to us British as POMS on this thread !!!!!

Never mind we have a sense of humour !

He Shano7..... ever since I heard the Aussie's refer to the British as 'POMS' I always wonder why???

So far I have got various answers??

So why do they call the english - POMS?

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

Prisoners Of Mother England

So you think poms are the only immigrants coming into australia ,wrong , more asians ,se asains sfricans and europeans . You onlylive on the edge most of the hinterland is desert . As public views are they are the same as the uk they see immigrants as a threatl, the WA job crisis ,load of bollox they want people to work for peanuts hence the chinese and asians if big ears abbot gets in it will be worse

Another one from Dick Smith:

Until now, Australian entrepreneur Dick Smith says he has never seen $1 million laid out in cold hard cash.

The aviation aficionado, five blonde bombshells and a chihuahua named Chilli gathered in Sydney's financial district on Wednesday with a suitcase filled with money to launch his new global award.

The Wilberforce Award, and the $1 million prize, will go to a young Australian under 30 who can impress Mr Smith by coming up with alternatives to "our population and consumption growth-obsessed economy".

"If we keep growing by 2.1 per cent a year in population, that doubles our population in 30 years, it means in 220 years' time we would have over one billion people here and no one believes we could feed one billion," Mr Smith told reporters.

"So between now and then we actually have to come up with a system that runs without growth."

The prize, which will be given out in a year's time, can't be applied for but the winner should generate wide attention for his or her ideas.

"I will be following the media throughout the world to see who is the most outstanding individual who not only made a significant contribution to this important issue, but also becomes famous through his or her contribution to the debate," Mr Smith said.

Flanked by five models, Mr Smith said he chose to launch the prize with "blonde bombshells" and a dog because "anything Richard Branson can do, we can do better".

UK billionaire Sir Richard has often led publicity stunts with a bevy of beauties.

There was a hairy moment when Chilli looked set to lift his leg on the cash he was "guarding".

"It's OK, he didn't do it," Mr Smith said, giving the dog back to its handler.

"I've never seen $1 million before in my life," he added.

The prizemoney, named after British abolitionist William Wilberforce, will go towards furthering the winner's cause in pursuing a stable population.

"I'm very positive. I know that capitalism can work without this constant addiction to growth," Mr Smith said.

Mr Smith wants to see Australia's immigration intake cut to 70,000 a year from about 280,000, but he says neither mainstream political party can give him a clear answer on whether this will happen.

As a result, in this federal election he would be voting for the party that promised aviation reform.

Asked by a reporter if his proposal to cut immigration was racist, Mr Smith became increasingly annoyed.

"That's a lie, it just intimidates Australians from talking fairly about the issue," he said.

"I can assure you, being responsible about the growth and using resources in the world is incredibly important and has nothing to do with xenophobia and it has nothing to do with racism."

When the reporter persisted, Mr Smith said there must be something "mentally wrong" with her.

"Dick!" his wife, Pip, said.

Mr Smith continued: "I'm saying we want to reduce immigration ... in a totally non-discriminatory way and I'm saying I want to see the humanitarian intake doubled."

$1m for person who reduces population

Guest Midlanders

Has anyone reminded this man that somewhere in his recent ancestary that he's family were also IMMIGRANTS....... pot & kettle come to mind!!!!

Archived