Are you going to visit before you make that decision?

Guest Arnold

Guest Arnold

Hi there,

Well after 4 years of being here and my homesickness still lingering, I feel it is time to go home. My husband is very supportive and although would happily stay wants me to be happy too. I have two sons ages 11 and 12 who are settled and not keen to leave. I am aware that if we leave it much longer it will become increasingly hard to take them back. How many of you that have decided it's time are actually flying back to check things out before you ship everything back? :confused:

It's probably a wise move, in the same way that a reccie here is generally a wise move. Unfortunately it is expensive (lesson learned - be sure to get all the Frequent Flyer points you can whenever you can and it will cost you much less)

Good luck with the scouting party!!!

Guest JulieW

Just done that. Went back for a month (plus a week in France) and spent time looking at schools, talking to friends and family about life in the UK now and tried to generally get a feel for how things are. Didn't notice lots of doom and gloom, despite dismal World Cup performance. Admittedly, we were there during a heatwave, but London and Oxford (where we still have a house rented out) seemd to be buzzing and the shops were certainly busy. Friends were living their lives as normal, their children were at school or university or working and they were looking forward to holidays in Europe.

All the things I miss were still intact and as good as I remembered. Now I just have to be brave enough to uproot the family and head back!

Guest Arnold
Just done that. Went back for a month (plus a week in France) and spent time looking at schools, talking to friends and family about life in the UK now and tried to generally get a feel for how things are. Didn't notice lots of doom and gloom, despite dismal World Cup performance. Admittedly, we were there during a heatwave, but London and Oxford (where we still have a house rented out) seemd to be buzzing and the shops were certainly busy. Friends were living their lives as normal, their children were at school or university or working and they were looking forward to holidays in Europe.

All the things I miss were still intact and as good as I remembered. Now I just have to be brave enough to uproot the family and head back!

I am so desperate to get back, I am feeling more and more homesick by the day. WHat did your family make of it all (hubby and kids) and can I ask the ages of your kids? I would love to be back for xmas but think it may only be for a visit. We are about to put our house on the market, so it really depends how quickly it sells for us to push on with our future. We will probably take a 6 month rental and get our citizenship in the meantime.....although I feel once we go back thats it!

Thanks for your comments, has made me feel I want to be home even more than ever xxx

Guest JulieW

Sorry I made you more homesick than ever! My husband is Australian but lived in England for 17 years before we came here 5 years ago.

He does like England but, partly becuase I'm always criticising Australia, he finds things to knock such as traffic jams and the weather in Winter. However, he finds it as beautiful and interesting as I do and is quite keen to move back there to work. He's finding the Australian workplace a bit limiting and parochial.

My son, aged 9, is keen to return as he loves his Grandma, Auntie and cousins, although we would not live very near them if we went back (I'm from the North but moved South a long time ago) - still a hell of a lot nearer than we are now!

My daughter aged 13 is more of a problem but coped well with the move here and would be fine, I'm sure. She's not thrilled at the idea but not desperately unhappy either. She would go back in to Year 9 next September 2011.

I would say that the younger the children when you move back the better, both because of friends and the academic system being different.

I am so desperate to get back, I am feeling more and more homesick by the day. WHat did your family make of it all (hubby and kids) and can I ask the ages of your kids? I would love to be back for xmas but think it may only be for a visit. We are about to put our house on the market, so it really depends how quickly it sells for us to push on with our future. We will probably take a 6 month rental and get our citizenship in the meantime.....although I feel once we go back thats it!

Thanks for your comments, has made me feel I want to be home even more than ever xxx

Hi Dorothy

I am assuming i know who you are lol, i've been on this website just over 2 years and never seen you post before. I'm so sorry you're so home sick. I hope it's not because we're moving so close lol. How about we do a house swap, we were coming to maroochydore although coloundra was a favourite i just didn't want to be under your feet. Perhaps we should rent each others house for a year, us to see if we like it there and you to see if you really want to come back here. I'm glad you're getting your citizenship first at least it keeps yur options open for the future.

:hug:Hope you're ok hun xxx

Guest gail.crease

We did the same last April after being here 2 1/2 years. Despite the weather being cold and dismal we fitted back in with friends like we'd never been away. It did feel like coming home. We still have our house in Fleet which is rented out and I could have quite easily moved back into it and not got on the plane back here. I still like Melbourne and can't fault it as a place to live but my heart is still in England with my old friends, family and my old favourite shops. My kids are nearly 7 and 4. The 7 year old loves it here but would happily move back to be near grandparents and her old friends that she reconnected with (she was in full time childcare from the age of 6 months so had some firm friendships when we left at age 4). The 4 year old arrived when he was just turned 1 so has no recollection of England. He's very social and makes friends easily so have no worries about moving him. He did enjoy meeting grandparents for the first time and uncles/aunts/cousins. He keeps asking for his cousins to come to our house but won't accept that it's too far away.

We're hanging on for another 18 months for citizenship but hubby wants to go now and be home for Xmas. He's having a difficult time at work so I think it's a knee jerk reaction. We're fed up with winter at the mo so he may change is mind when spring arrives and we're outdoors and going to the beach again.

Gail

Guest Arnold

It seems there are quite a few of us out there feeling it and missing everything we have grown up with. I am pleased to hear that it's not all the doom and gloom dirty place that some people make it out to be. I guess for every person that is trying to get here, there is also one trying to get back. I am glad for the experience and probably would have never got to see this part of the world had we not tried it, but feel that it's time for another adventure. I really think I will appreciate more about the UK, my family and friends than I have ever done before and just can't wait to go back. I hope that it is everything I am at present remembering and longing for. Thankyou for your comments, maybe we will talk again on the otherside ;)

Guest footballmad

Hi Arnold

We are heading back at Christmas via LA for a week then UK for 4 weeks ... we too are unsettled. Been here 2 yrs tomorrow!!! cant wait to get back and see what we are missing.... i know it will be emotional time of year etc etc but need to know.... where in Caloundra are you?? we are in Aroona near Sugar Bag road. if you want to meet up for a cuppa. let me know

Archived