A little advise if you are bringing your dog!

Dawny

Hi, just a friendly word of advise if you are thinking of bringing your dog with you to Australia! Makes sure you have the pet passport taken care off! Not all pet relocation companies offer it to you, but its worth asking about it! Its a small amount of money in the uk to spend on rabies jabs, and bloods etc, compared to the amount of money it would cost here if you should want to return to the uk! Our boys have their passports, but have just had their booster, so we asked how much it would cost if we had to start from scratch to return! We were told for our two it would be around $800 thats just for rabies jab and blood tests, not including any other paperwork! Then you have a 6 month quarantine period!! All i know it was less than £100 in the uk to do it upfront!

Dawn :err:

Guest The Pom Queen

Dawn

This is excellent advice and can save a lot of stress and heartache as well as money.

Kate

Guest shepydfc
Hi, just a friendly word of advise if you are thinking of bringing your dog with you to Australia! Makes sure you have the pet passport taken care off! Not all pet relocation companies offer it to you, but its worth asking about it! Its a small amount of money in the uk to spend on rabies jabs, and bloods etc, compared to the amount of money it would cost here if you should want to return to the uk! Our boys have their passports, but have just had their booster, so we asked how much it would cost if we had to start from scratch to return! We were told for our two it would be around $800 thats just for rabies jab and blood tests, not including any other paperwork! Then you have a 6 month quarantine period!! All i know it was less than £100 in the uk to do it upfront!

Hi Dawn, thanks for that, can i ask the costs involved in taking the dogs with you and the time scales company used etc

Thanks David

Hi Dawn, thanks for that, can i ask the costs involved in taking the dogs with you and the time scales company used etc

Thanks David

Hi David,

We used petair uk to bring the boys over, When we first contacted them to discuss the boys requirements it was around 6 months before our flight!

Once we knew flight dates etc, they started to gather their permits together, Petair didn't have to see them until around 4 weeks before their flight, we used their gold service which included all vet checks, application paperwork and flight passes, and travel crates, transport to the airport, and was close to £5k, they spent 30 days in quarantine at eastern creek, where they were taken very good care of, we also had a dog walker, who went in a couple of times a week! Quarantine fees were around £1,400(uk) and dog walking was $25 a walk!

Hope this helps!

Many thanks for that advice Dawn!

We are the other way round.............adopted 2 Doggies in OZ so have to start from scratch here!

Good luck with your journey back

Thanks for the well wishes, you too!! It does seem on the return journey you are very much left to do all the paperwork yourself, where as coming here it was all taken care of with the company you were using! So must admit thats taken a bit to get your head around it all!

We are using jetpets for our return journey! No problems with them at all, Best of luck to you x

Thanks for the well wishes, you too!! It does seem on the return journey you are very much left to do all the paperwork yourself, where as coming here it was all taken care of with the company you were using! So must admit thats taken a bit to get your head around it all!

We are using jetpets for our return journey! No problems with them at all, Best of luck to you x

I'm just waiting for a quote from Jetpets and I've had one from AnimalTravel who seem quite good.............$2800 for 2 x 4kg Dogs BUT as you mentioned earlier I have to factor in all the Rabies stuff on top of that price!

Thanks again for your reply...........nice to know we're on the same page at the mo :wink:

Take care

I'm just waiting for a quote from Jetpets and I've had one from AnimalTravel who seem quite good.............$2800 for 2 x 4kg Dogs BUT as you mentioned earlier I have to factor in all the Rabies stuff on top of that price!

Thanks again for your reply...........nice to know we're on the same page at the mo :wink:

Take care

Your welcome!

Our boys weigh in at a hefty 28kg and 34 kg lol, so pleased we kept the crates!!! :arghh:

Guest jibbitson

If your taking your dog or cat back home then it is a really good idea to keep up with there Rabies shots both Australia and the UK are really strict on rabies .if you want to know where your money goes then it goes on permits and AQIS fees and Airline booking fees and there is an $810.00 fee forjames cargo to take your pet off the flight in the uk and hand it over to you that is if your have done the UK pet scheme there are alot of pet relocation companies that will also stack on the price I have a guy at the moment that has gone back to the UK he has a cat here doing its six month Quarantine he got a Quote off a big company here which was over two thousand there are alot of fees you just can not avoid but there are companies out there that care about your pet more than ripping you off it is called service!

jane:cute:

Hi Dawn

Just a quick question, we are heading back to the Uk and our dog does have his pet passport. I have been getting conflicting advise on this but do they need booster vac annually or just when the passport states which isn't til next year. Hope this makes sense.

Clare:smile:

Guest jibbitson

Hi Clare,

Your dogs rabies needs to be up to date if your is going back to UK if it is not up to date your dog will have to do six months here then they can go that is the UK pet scheme. sending a dog monday his six months is up then and he can go home to his family who are already over there

jane

Hi Dawn

Just a quick question, we are heading back to the Uk and our dog does have his pet passport. I have been getting conflicting advise on this but do they need booster vac annually or just when the passport states which isn't til next year. Hope this makes sense.

Clare:smile:

Hi Clare,

All should be fine providing his rabies booster is up to date at time of flying, if he is about due for his booster, get it done, also make sure that his normal booster is up to date, he will need kennel cough drops as well as worming before he will be able to travel!

Hope this helps.

Dawn x

Hi

We have just booked our flights to move to Oz for Feburary next year and our dog is coming with us. If we wanted to return to the UK would he have to do 6 months in quarantine?:huh:

Hi

nWe have just booked our flights to move to Oz for Feburary next year and our dog is coming with us. If we wanted to return to the UK would he have to do 6 months in quarantine?:huh:

If you come over without the passport scheme, Your dog will have to have a rabies jab whilst in oz, once you have the jab you have to wait 4 weeks before he can have the blood test, then wait a further week for the results, He would then need a 6 month quarantine period from the date the blood was taken, so that can be a full 6 months here, or say 2 months here and 4 months in the uk! So best to arrange a passport for him whilst in the uk, that way you will only need to keep up with the booster when needed, hope this helps

Dawn x

Hi Clare,

All should be fine providing his rabies booster is up to date at time of flying, if he is about due for his booster, get it done, also make sure that his normal booster is up to date, he will need kennel cough drops as well as worming before he will be able to travel!

Hope this helps.

Dawn x

Thanks Dawn

His pet passport states valid until 04/09/11, so assumed that all was ok. It was just a few people had mentioned anual boosters but I think that is dependent on what kind of vaccine is used to begin with. Does that sound about right to you :huh:

Thanks Dawn

His pet passport states valid until 04/09/11, so assumed that all was ok. It was just a few people had mentioned anual boosters but I think that is dependent on what kind of vaccine is used to begin with. Does that sound about right to you :huh:

I would imagine the date of 04/09/11 would be when his rabies booster is due, as there is no time limit on a passport, so no need to renew it! Best to check with your vet though and ask which type of vaccine he was given as some do differ maybe 1 year or even two, Theres no exp date on a passport, however if your pet does a lot of traveling, the space will be used up with all the listing of treatments he will have received, so thats when you would need to get a new one!

This link will give you some more info x

Pet Travel Scheme Q&A | Department of Agriculture and Rural Development

I would imagine the date of 04/09/11 would be when his rabies booster is due, as there is no time limit on a passport, so no need to renew it! Best to check with your vet though and ask which type of vaccine he was given as some do differ maybe 1 year or even two, Theres no exp date on a passport, however if your pet does a lot of traveling, the space will be used up with all the listing of treatments he will have received, so thats when you would need to get a new one!

This link will give you some more info x

Pet Travel Scheme Q&A | Department of Agriculture and Rural Development

Thanks Dawn for your help.

I have just looked up the vaccine he was given and it is one that lasts 3 years. Sorry to trouble you but just started panicking when I heard about annual vacinations, hoping to be back in the motherland in a month or two.

Good luck with the trip home

Clare xxx

Thanks Dawn for your help.

I have just looked up the vaccine he was given and it is one that lasts 3 years. Sorry to trouble you but just started panicking when I heard about annual vacinations, hoping to be back in the motherland in a month or two.

Good luck with the trip home

Clare xxx

Thats good news!! You will have no worries!

And its no trouble, i am happy to help where i can!

Thanks for the well wish's, you to all the very best for your return journey! x

Guest dunkyboy

maybe a silly question but how do I get a passport for my dog ? do I just have to go to my vets or do I have to apply to some government agency ?

I just had my dogs blood samples done yesterday in preparation for flying her out to Perth on August 31st so hopefully if things work out in Ozz then I wont need to worry about coming back to the UK but I could not bear to have to put her in quarantine for 6 months should we decide to go home so I better get a pet passport for her just in case - thanks for posting the information !!!!!

Hi, you can go to your vets to start the passport process.

If you chose to wait now to do it in Aus it's very similar, as the OP says a little more pricey, but the process of waiting 6months before being able to re-enter the UK iwthout quarantine is the same.

In Aus you would be given what is called a pets certificate rather than a petpassport (but works the same), you would apply for this at least 8months before wanting to return to the UK to avoid quarantine. That's why it's better to do it beforehand in the UK, as providing you keep rabies boosters up to date you would be free to leave Aus more of less at the drop of a hat if needs be (providing you'd had the passport 6months)

______

Re rabies booster dates, it's whatever is relevant for the country to are coming from as per the manufacturer data sheet for the brand of rabies vaccine. As Aus has no routine annual rabies vaccines it would be as per the Uk requirement

So in the UK we have nobivac which needs boostering every 3yrs and Rabisin which is every 2 years....BUT if your UK vet has dated it incorrectly ie put it down as required yearly then you'd have to go with the date in the passport.

Re passport costs, it's a bit of a money maker depending where you are in the UK. I haven't had one from start to end for less than £100 for a good few years. In my area they range from £150 - £180.

maybe a silly question but how do I get a passport for my dog ? do I just have to go to my vets or do I have to apply to some government agency ?

I just had my dogs blood samples done yesterday in preparation for flying her out to Perth on August 31st so hopefully if things work out in Ozz then I wont need to worry about coming back to the UK but I could not bear to have to put her in quarantine for 6 months should we decide to go home so I better get a pet passport for her just in case - thanks for posting the information !!!!!

Not all vets in the uk deal with the pet passport scheme, so if yours doesn't he may well be able to give you the details of another who is local to you! Also the company which is dealing with transporting your dog to oz, may also be able to help you!

Guest dunkyboy

my wife spoke with our vet and they advised her that there would not be enough time to organise one before we leave for Ozz, they said we would be better to wait until we get there and get an Australian pets passport, does this sound correct ?

No, sorry, it's not quite correct.

I tried to explain in my earlier post but it is a little complicated.

Only countries in the EU issue the actual passport. The passport is a little blue document that 6months after you have it, subject to rabies vaccines up to date (every 3yrs) you can re-enter the UK at your leisure with your pet.

Australia is not in the EU so you will not be issued a pet passport in Australia. However, you can go through exactly the same process there as you would in the UK and be issued not a passport but a certificate for re-entry to the UK (ie no quarantine). The real issue is just like in the UK it takes approx 7months before you can use it BUT unlike the passport it is then only valid for 4months. So, it's not something you can get and keep in a drawer 'just in case'. It's something that should you wish to leave would need a bit of time / planning.

If you want to double check the info (and I would as I don't work for DEFRA!) you can call or email the pets helpline to verify this - they are very helpful

_______

As an aside, how long do you actually have before you leave?

The process for a UK issue passport is as follows

- dog microchipped

- rabies vaccine given (some vets are v cautious and wait a fortnight and give a 2nd vaccine)

- blood take 3 - 4 weeks post vaccine.

- approx 1-2 week wait for results

- passport completed when you have a successful blood test result

- wait 6 months after date of rabies vaccine before re-entering UK.

So, waffle aside, you can see that with 1 rabies vaccine given you could take your dog today and get him/her chipped and vaccinated and then the bloods in 3 weeks.

There's a chance you may not get a successful blood result of course, but for me if you had a month to spare I'd pay out in the hope you can get the passport now before you go.

I did pretty much this with my first dog before moving to singapore, the lab faxed the blood results and i got the passport in less than 4 weeks.

Again, liase with DEFRA to advise you vet if this sort of timescale fits with your move dates - not all vets are very knowledgeable on the process unfortunately.

Guest dunkyboy
No, sorry, it's not quite correct.

I tried to explain in my earlier post but it is a little complicated.

Only countries in the EU issue the actual passport. The passport is a little blue document that 6months after you have it, subject to rabies vaccines up to date (every 3yrs) you can re-enter the UK at your leisure with your pet.

Australia is not in the EU so you will not be issued a pet passport in Australia. However, you can go through exactly the same process there as you would in the UK and be issued not a passport but a certificate for re-entry to the UK (ie no quarantine). The real issue is just like in the UK it takes approx 7months before you can use it BUT unlike the passport it is then only valid for 4months. So, it's not something you can get and keep in a drawer 'just in case'. It's something that should you wish to leave would need a bit of time / planning.

If you want to double check the info (and I would as I don't work for DEFRA!) you can call or email the pets helpline to verify this - they are very helpful

_______

As an aside, how long do you actually have before you leave?

The process for a UK issue passport is as follows

- dog microchipped

- rabies vaccine given (some vets are v cautious and wait a fortnight and give a 2nd vaccine)

- blood take 3 - 4 weeks post vaccine.

- approx 1-2 week wait for results

- passport completed when you have a successful blood test result

- wait 6 months after date of rabies vaccine before re-entering UK.

So, waffle aside, you can see that with 1 rabies vaccine given you could take your dog today and get him/her chipped and vaccinated and then the bloods in 3 weeks.

There's a chance you may not get a successful blood result of course, but for me if you had a month to spare I'd pay out in the hope you can get the passport now before you go.

I did pretty much this with my first dog before moving to singapore, the lab faxed the blood results and i got the passport in less than 4 weeks.

Again, liase with DEFRA to advise you vet if this sort of timescale fits with your move dates - not all vets are very knowledgeable on the process unfortunately.

unfortunatley we leave in less than three weeks, so looks like I'm screwed :arghh:

thanks for the information anyway !!!

unfortunatley we leave in less than three weeks, so looks like I'm screwed :arghh:

well hopefully not, hopefully you'll not be leaving Aus eh? :wink:

plus, if you do need to, you at least know it's possible to get a certificate and avoid quarantine, just that you need to be mindful of the timings.

Good luck with your move, hope all goes smoothly :biggrin:

Archived