"Let's have skilled migrants go where we need them"

Guest HoriFTC

Guest HoriFTC

'Let's have skilled migrants go where we need them', says Julia Gillard | Courier Mail

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/gillard-dodges-migrant-intake-question/story-fn59niix-1225894896416

So, after paying thousands of dollars for the migration process, waiting in most cases several years for the visa grant+keeping the lifes of families on hold, bringing world-class knowledge and many years of experience in a country which isn't able to educate enough its own workforce - we should settle in the middle of nowhere...

WHAT A BULL****!!!

'Let's have skilled migrants go where we need them', says Julia Gillard | Courier Mail

Gillard dodges migrant intake question | The Australian

So, after paying thousands of dollars for the migration process, waiting in most cases several years for the visa grant+keeping the lifes of families on hold, bringing world-class knowledge and many years of experience in a country which isn't able to educate enough its own workforce - we should settle in the middle of nowhere...

WHAT A BULL****!!!

They apparently need us to go nowhere!

Don't they already do that on sponsored visas or have I got the wrong end of the stick? My Mrs Aunty works in rural WA as that is where they said she had to go. If she stays there 4 yrs, she can then apply for somewhere else.

One of the schools of thought that has been mentioned on the telly is that the major citys are getting too overcrowded and that migrants should be encouraged (or even directed) to move to rural areas or indeed to newly created urban centres. Not sure how far it will get but its on the list they always talk about.

Guest dragsterwish

Isn't the SMP where the States need the skilled migrants to go??? Get it out then and stop these Craps!

Unless all migrants are forced to wear a tracking device from the time of their arrival I really don't see how this can be policed adequately ... 'tis politicians spouting rubbish, as ever ...

Best regards.

They won't be able to force you to stay there physically, but they could revoke all visas if you don't do as they say. The fear of becoming an 'illegal' would make a lot of people think twice about skipping town.

Its such a shame that England did not do this, GREAT Britain (Not) gives mainly illegal immigrants a home money etc,i dont need to carry on, even the skilled migrants get houses, benefits, GO to Australia, spend 6-7-£1000 pounds and more and you still cant get there.......

Then if and when you get there you are told where to go..... Both good and bad, we should have done this in the UK, WE DID NOT.....

THAT is why most of us are trying to get to OZ for the better way of life...

I agree with AUSTRALIA.

Sorry if i offend but that is why i am leaving the UK, So its my choice to apply and be told where to go.. I dont have to go but if i want the lifestyle and Ethos of the Ozzies then why should i complain..

Fortune favours the bold (and the Stupid) LOL.

Keep that Sun Shinning.... NICK.

Guest spurious

Isn't putting skilled applicants where we need them, er, state sponsorship? I think it might be! Poor Gillard, trying to score cheap electoral votes without the slightest clue what she's talking about.

GREAT Britain (Not) gives mainly illegal immigrants a home money etc,i dont need to carry on

I wish you hadn't started. It's not at all productive (or accurate) to start comparing the delayed applications of skilled migrants to Australia with the situations illegal immigrants find themselves in when they arrive in a different country. You're also wrong about the 'deal' that those who live in the UK illegally get - it's a long way away from anything approaching a good life.

Interestingly, the Lib Dems were toying with this kind of 'put them where we need them' approach in the last election in the UK. I didn't think it would work at all because the UK is so much smaller than Australia, and local councils have fewer powers than state governments.

Personally I like the country areas and community is usually very strong.

My son went to the country as soon as he finished uni and he always told us he would. He loves it, ten mins walk to work or ride his bike, his car stays in the garage. He knows heaps of people, plays darts, golf, cricket and baseball. Close enough to the snow if he wants to ski. Generally good lifestyle. His girlfriend found a job in a nearby town and lives up there too now.

Hi There, yep there are many different comparisons to the Uk and Australia, but if you want to live in that Country,State now under the future SMP Plans then you must go where they need and tell you that you are wanted..

A while ago you could apply and go to and around Aus with a pretty free hand under skilled migration now its different, its fair that if you want go and change your life and live under a different country's identity that you should accept what they say and if you dont agree the dont Go...

Thats all i have to say about that...

Cheers Nick....

Guest proud2beaussie

Getting potential migrants to move to where you need them rather than where they want to go is a bit like controlling a horse with a carrot and a stick,methinks the government and DIAC need a bit more carrot and a little less stick if they want a strong migration program.

Why the Federal and State Governments don't provide more fiscal incentives for businesses to locate in regional areas is a bit of a mystery to me.

The UK did this with Enterprise Zones back in the 1980s when 100% capital allowances and 100% rates reductions were offered to businesses in an effort to regenerate certain parts of the country (eg Canary Wharf, Chatham Docklands, etc).

Put employment in the regions and migrants will go there. Don't expect the reverse to happen.

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler
Don't they already do that on sponsored visas or have I got the wrong end of the stick? My Mrs Aunty works in rural WA as that is where they said she had to go. If she stays there 4 yrs, she can then apply for somewhere else.

One of the schools of thought that has been mentioned on the telly is that the major citys are getting too overcrowded and that migrants should be encouraged (or even directed) to move to rural areas or indeed to newly created urban centres. Not sure how far it will get but its on the list they always talk about.

Hi gpo

My sister lives in Jandakot in Perth. She assured me that a doctor has to go to a rural part of Oz for a few years before s/he will be allowed to move to a city such as Perth. I know more about visas for Oz than she does. She is mistaken but I assume that she has gained this erroneous impression from the newspapers or the TV?

Elaine really does believe that an employer must sponsor a new skilled migrant and that the new migrant is required to go to the sticks for a few years. She is convinced that no other sort of arrangement is allowed. She is not interested in Immigration, although she emigrated to Oz herself, from the UK, in 1979.

I live in the UK and like most Britons, I have very little idea about the rules for immigration to the UK. I vaguely understand that we have cloned some of the visas that Australia uses. It is blatant plagiarism but I imagine that it is called "Economy of Effort" in Whitehall!

Some of the skilled visa schemes do require the migrant to live and work in Regional Oz but I suspect that these schemes do not amount to 50% of the migrant intake into Australia.

I think that one of the big problems with Oz is that nobody who doesn't live in Oz knows where the town called Backofbeyondup is located. Most people won't even consider a destination that is not on one of the major maps. Most of the maps identify only the locations of the State capitals and any large towns in the State concerned.

For example, I know where Geraldton and Karratha both are and I've been to Geraldton. If somebody asked me to go to live in a town 50kms from Geraldton(if there is such a town?) I would have the devil's own job to find out about schools and leisure activities in this town. The DIAC website only describes the main capital cities.

I think it is typical of the Aussie Government's sloppy approach that they only half-do the job. Tons of migrants would consider Backofbeyondup if they knew where it is and what sort of facilities this place might offer. If the Government does not bother to tell people anything about it, how can they expect anyone to go there, either via overseas migration or interstate migration?

Cheers

Gill

Absolutely, Gill. More effective marketing wouldn't go amiss, and you would think some of the "regional initiatives" of which the State Governments in particular are so proud should be getting more bang for their buck.

To be fair, the Victorian Government is not bad at this, and I know representatives from a lovely town in SW VIC (Warrnambool) attended some of the UK expos a year or two ago. It isn't enough though ... the State and Territory offices in London could be doing more for starters.

I maintain though that larger employers must also be given reasons to relocate or open offices regionally rather than in the capital cities.

Best regards.

Prospective immigrants have become fair game in Oz politics with perception (encouraged by media etc.) that immigration brings no benefits (especially if Asian....) Meanwhile politicians are based in colonial state capitals which attract majority of investment, employment, population etc. while they have done nothing for regional development, infrastructure development, planning, lowering state barriers etc...... accordingly we have one of the most lopsided urbanised countries in the world.... and parochial....

Its such a shame that England did not do this, GREAT Britain (Not) gives mainly illegal immigrants a home money etc,i dont need to carry on, even the skilled migrants get houses, benefits, GO to Australia, spend 6-7-£1000 pounds and more and you still cant get there.......

Then if and when you get there you are told where to go..... Both good and bad, we should have done this in the UK, WE DID NOT.....

THAT is why most of us are trying to get to OZ for the better way of life...

I agree with AUSTRALIA.

Sorry if i offend but that is why i am leaving the UK, So its my choice to apply and be told where to go.. I dont have to go but if i want the lifestyle and Ethos of the Ozzies then why should i complain..

Fortune favours the bold (and the Stupid) LOL.

Keep that Sun Shinning.... NICK.

LMBO , wait till you are here with all the somalians , iraquis , sri lankans and SE asians wake up smell the coffee, australia aint no white aryan state

Archived